Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Puma has arrived!! 1st unboxing pics

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Puma has arrived!! 1st unboxing pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 03:31 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Thanks Dan, I'll look into those and possibly the Mato.
Bret, I've got the Matos and the Aura speakers are on the way so I can do a side by side in a week or two. Right now the Matos are in the Tiger with the Asp, along with a TG speaker, and as soon as the video finishes uploading you'll be able to check them out. They make a huge difference for me, but the Asp has speaker outputs for three speakers, I think one at 20 watts and two at 3 or 5 watts. If the new speakers are as good as Dan says they are I'll have one very fine sounding tank, and with two SD cards on the juno I think you could set up just about any sound you wanted to. I'm wondering if I'll ever get good enough at this stuff to have General Patton (as played by George) giving that famous speech from the beginning of the flick. Hold 'em by the nose and kick 'em in the ass! I guess now I really do have to buy a Sherman.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:03 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck on your build Sebbe. Give us some pics when you start assembly.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:07 AM
TheBennyB

Gary. yea cool. Let me know what you think on those speakers. The loco speakers are ok, but not real loud or of great sound quality.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:23 AM
manchu9inf

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I finally got my Puma yesterday!! Will be bringing it to Danville.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:23 PM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by manchu9inf
I finally got my Puma yesterday!! Will be bringing it to Danville.
Right on Will, gonna bring mine for anyone that has any questions or ideas on stuff. Just the lower hull is pretty much complete haven't gotten into modeling the
upper yet. Also gonna have to figure out a better way to get the upper off to access the lower and change out batteries. As it is now you have to remove the fenders on one
entire side then unscrew 4 screws from underneath that go into the upper...not very convenient.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:14 PM
manchu9inf

i plan on picking your brain on what you have done so far, as for the battery, can you do a battery charging port? i dunno how compatible that would be with a LiPo. Anyone know? I have ordered the electronics and bearings for this kit already, that is something we will for sure have to talk about!
Old 09-12-2015, 05:36 PM
TheBennyB

Will, I'm still working on ironing out the Elmod myself. Got it pretty much settled out but need to figure out how to kill all the momentum in 2nd and 3rd simulated gears. Wish it had essentially a drag brake setting but it doesn't so you have to go into acceleration and motor % setting for each gear and do it by trial and error.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:00 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Mine should be in my hot sweaty little hands next week.

Hopefully their big brother, the 1/10 scale counterpart should be along soon after...

Jerry
Old 09-12-2015, 07:22 PM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by Tanque
Mine should be in my hot sweaty little hands next week.

Hopefully their big brother, the 1/10 scale counterpart should be along soon after...

Jerry
Right on Jerry. Make sure to post some pics of big brother and anything else you come across on the 1/16.
Seems like I'm the only one posting up any findings on this sucker, but I don't follow any of the oversea's forums either.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:46 AM
manchu9inf

Brett, yea, i will need help with the El Mod set up. Luckily, you are blazing the way forward on this.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:25 AM
Sebbe335

Hello!

I think the only speakers that will fit is the mato pair speaker. I have tried to fit visatons smallest speaker and its not possible to fit it. I ordered the mato speaker, hope the sou d will be okey!

//Sebbe
Old 09-14-2015, 10:40 AM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by Sebbe335
Hello!

I think the only speakers that will fit is the mato pair speaker. I have tried to fit visatons smallest speaker and its not possible to fit it. I ordered the mato speaker, hope the sou d will be okey!

//Sebbe
Yup, not much room in there. Are you running the Elmod board?
Old 09-14-2015, 10:48 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Three of the most welcomed words I know ( although still pale behind " I love you") - "Out for delivery"

followed soon thereafter by a soft( emphasis on soft) thump at the front door.

Yes dear friends my little Pumas are here...

Jerry
Old 09-15-2015, 07:14 AM
Sebbe335

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Yup, not much room in there. Are you running the Elmod board?
Yes! I will try to upload some pictures on my build very soon. Hope to give it a testrun i the weekend
Old 09-15-2015, 07:24 AM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by Sebbe335
Yes! I will try to upload some pictures on my build very soon. Hope to give it a testrun i the weekend
Cool. Would like to hear your opinion on the mass inertia. I personally hate it for battling and wish it could be switch on/off. Just isn't going to work for IR battling. I understand they want it to be a realistic movement but just seems too much, mine takes a good meter to come to complete stop from full speed. Also don't like the -80% deflection on throttle stick for full break. Can see myself in the middle of a battle going past the -80% and hitting the engine off which is throttle stick all down for a second and killing my engine in the heat of battle. No good. I''m going to mess with it some more this weekend at Danville if I have time but I'm just not getting the motor/brake responsiveness I'd like to shoot and scoot
with this sucker.

Last edited by TheBennyB; 09-15-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:07 AM
Rustytrax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about a controller profile that has a braking?

Or go Brushless and use an ESC that is programmable for braking.

Last edited by Rustytrax; 09-15-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:46 AM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by Rustytrax
What about a controller profile that has a braking?

Or go Brushless and use an ESC that is programmable for braking.
Thought of that too Troy, just not a lot of room to be adding more components and I'm using a basic futaba skysport. Keep'n it simple as possible.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:35 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Sorry if I missed something (been busy with RL!) but if you are using the El-Mod board (?), can't you fiddle with the acceleration profiles via the USB programming gizmo? The Thinktank4 board had that capability, and I believe every board from them since has (certainly the M16 has).

I've got some of the chassis assembled, but I'm waiting to hear if Carson is going to go ahead with the better gears we asked him for before I go any further - I have enough in the build queue to keep me going while I wait...
Old 09-15-2015, 01:59 PM
TheBennyB

I've messed with all the parameters Martin. With brake at 100% and acceleration at 100% it's just so sluggish with all the momentum.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:52 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Figured as much, that's the downside of El-Mod - it largely feels like hit and miss as to whether its going to work the way you want

You should at least be able to lose some of the inertia tho? I could see that Xion/MO asked for a profile that protected the gearbox in terms of acceleration (we do that all the time in automotive after all) but I'd hope that there was a little more room for guys like us to unlock a bit more performance
Old 09-15-2015, 03:12 PM
TheBennyB

Yea, I'm guessing this board is geared more toward driving around the yard than IR battling. No control on inertia in the parameters. Only thing you can do is reduce acceleration and this is suppose to reduce inertia...well ya. Gonna mess with this a bit more tonite and take it to danville to consult Buckeye36 who has been messing with elmod for a couple years. Get his opinion on my parameter settings via pc on a workbench and see if I'm just possibly missing something with nomenclature on the settings though I've pretty much done the trial and error of putting everything at 0 or 100%.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:13 PM
TheBennyB

Another point of interest is I am using a 20T motor. This could be the culprit of the unwanted inertia too. Using the recommended 55T motor would have more drag/torque on it, but less top end. I figure if I can't get in the ball park of scale top speed it's kind of a let down on performance so I'm hoping to stick with the 20T. If anyone gets their Elmod board up and running post your findings/thoughts and what motor your using.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:20 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The initial setting on the elmod seems to have a lot of inertia...Although it can be toned town to near nothing as I have done with my Stug. It stops immediately
Old 09-15-2015, 05:40 PM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by yellowshaker
The initial setting on the elmod seems to have a lot of inertia...Although it can be toned town to near nothing as I have done with my Stug. It stops immediately
I believe you Joe. Only problem is the interface for this vehicle is different from the tanks I believe. There is NO parameter just for inertia. Just acceleration and gear change %'s along with brake %'s at neutral and -80% throttle stick and the usual vmax, vmin, etc. For the most part I think it's just going to take a bit of a learning curve to drive this sucker in battle if I want to keep high top end. Look out houses, trees, rocks, basically anything on the battlfield! Gonna have to look into a beefy aftermarket front bumper from RC4WD...he he!
Old 09-16-2015, 09:50 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Do you have the latest El-Mod software? Sometime in the past I can remember scratching my head wondering why I couldn't change parameters that others were suggesting, and it turned out that my software was out of date and not showing me all of the available parameters.

Also, yes the motor will have an effect - they suggested 55T or more I believe? El-Mod typically isn't very tolerant of unusual motor / gearbox combo's when trying to set the inertia up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.