Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Ex Pat's Panther Marathon

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Ex Pat's Panther Marathon

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 08:28 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Ex Pat's Panther Marathon

The Duel in the Mist books have given me too many expensive ideas...

So time to tackle the pile of Panthers I've been slowly accumulating over the last 4 years...

Exhausts (taken from Pantigers ) I've covered in another thread, The top one is going to be an MAN built example, the bottom one will be a Daimler.

On to the turrets.
LAH's distinctive track hangers, made from 1mm diameter brass wire. The first set was a pain to do, but after that I'd gotten the hang of it and was able to turn them out fairly quickly

Quick picture of the insides:

Rounded mantlets:
For the longest time I'd wonder how to do these, should I clone the Profiline one that came with the D model kit? Should I get the Schumo ones? As it happened, the Schumo ones are either out of stock or stupidly expensive at the moment - so I just decided to bite the bullet, back fill the chin with Miliput and then shave it with the Dremel. A few hours of sanding and filling later, I'm actually quite surprised at how good they look
Old 06-21-2015, 11:16 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Martin, you never cease to amaze me.

Have you got your paint schemes picked out? I always thought it would be cool to do a pair (or a trio or even a quad) of tanks from the same unit on patrol or heading to a new location. Like a whole convoy.

Are you planning any improvements to the pivot points for the barrel? Aren't they a little weak with this set-up for elevation? On the airsoft it's even worse, so I'll be paying close attention to this one.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:48 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

111 - Built by Daimler, painted in Ambush scheme, abandoned in La Gleize and blown up by US troops a couple of miles east after it broke down as they tried to drive it away:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/deckarudo/13065937594

152 - Befehlspanther built by MAN, painted in factory 3 colour camo, with Zimmerit on the turret. Hit and burned in Ligneuville
http://www.network54.com/Forum/61931...+December+1944

131 - MAN built (or maybe MNH, I forget which?) Disc camo, knocked out by P47's outside of Cheneux, south of Stoumont.
https://houseofqueeg.files.wordpress...disc-bulge.jpg

221 (or 231, haven't decided), MAN factory 3 colour with steel wheels, abandoned in La Gleize
http://libellule.heavy.jp/site/vehicules/PantherSW.html

234 - MAN Factory 3 colour, knocked out in Stoumont.
(can't find a picture online right now, but there are plenty available)
Old 06-21-2015, 01:53 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Martin, has already stated that they will be M.A.N and Daimler Benz so they will have M.A.N and Daimler Benz factory paint jobs.
Martin will you be adding the lifting pints to the mantle and adding the pour plug marks also you will want to remove the horse shoe bit in front of the cupola.
What are your intentions with the other 3 Panther you have waiting.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:02 PM
rivetcounter

Martin, disc pattern was M.A.N, I just happen to have my book cases 2 meters away and had a quick check
Old 06-21-2015, 02:13 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

And this is why I post! I keep meaning to call you to pick your brains on this stuff...

Tank-Modelbau have parts for the mantlet lifting points, I'll picking them up as soon as I'm happy with the mantlets themselves.

I can whip the doo-dad in front of the cupola off roof easily enough, that's one of the details that I hadn't even considered (the drivers periscope rain hood was a good catch by Jeff as well - I think 111 should have one based on 215 and 202 both being Daimlers and having it fitted, the rest probably not)

Other 3?!? I have the D model kit in storage, what are the other 2??
Old 06-21-2015, 02:15 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Originally Posted by rivetcounter
Martin, disc pattern was M.A.N, I just happen to have my book cases 2 meters away and had a quick check
Also reached for the books (in this case DitM vol2) - they list 131 as MNH, built September 1944.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:08 PM
rivetcounter

Martin, disc pattern by M.A.N, is in Vol 1 DitM page 282 they have a rather nice right hand side colour plate, Page 283 shows an original picture of 283 from 11.Pz.Div being towed away complete with zimmerit in the M.N.H pattern.
Vol 2 DitM has a disc pattern Panther on page 63, this is 114 on page 65 it shows the left side of 114 and it does state MNH, on page 66, 124 not stated, the interesting picture is on page 112 this shows the right side of 131 by M.N.H which corresponds with the colour plate in Vol 1 by M.A.N, it could be as with the Hinterhalt (ambush pattern) used both by Daimler Benz and M.A.N that also both M.A.N and M.N.H used the disc pattern, I can send a scan from Vol 1 if you need it.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:48 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

I have all 3 volumes (You should know this from my rivetcounting around La Gleize last year )

Quite a lot of Peipers Disc camo'd Panthers are attributed to MNH.

Does Jentz and Doyle's work shed light on the topic?

Also - Page 65, is that the rain guard over the drivers periscope I'm seeing, or something else?

Last edited by Ex_Pat_Tanker; 06-21-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:56 AM
EugeniRUS

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Martin, what will you do with the DB idler wheels?
Old 06-22-2015, 03:49 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Don't know yet, I'll have to study some pictures and see how they compare to what's available currently.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:11 AM
rivetcounter

Martin,
Jentz and Doyle concentrate on detail and when modifications and new parts are introduced I have to admit that I don’t know the difference between disc patterns on M.N.H and M.A.N Panther apart from Balkan cross location this is the same with the Hinterhalt patterns.
Yes it’s a rain guard over the drivers periscope on page 65 Vol 2 and also page 70with Panther 202.
The LAH Panthers as you know were drawn from 3 factories from September to November 44 during this time period the following modifications were introduced
Zimmerit stopped
Chin on the gun mantle
Larger self-cleaning idler wheel
Flammvernichter exhausts
Crew heater
Elevated seat for driver
Poison gas identification panels
The rain guard over driver’s periscope was introduced in August 44 as was the debris guard over the gun mantle and factory paint jobs.
Its known that the modifications were not introduced the same time at all factories and also that modifications when introduced could take up to 3 months before they were standard on all Panther leaving a given factory hence why we see few pictures of the rain guard over the drivers periscope and there seems to be a lack of chin gun mantles and larger idler wheels on all Panther belonging to LAH this would be the same for all other units with Panther, just had a quick scan and I have found a Panther with the late idler wheel this is 234 in Vol 2 Page161 – 167 this Panther features a crew heater no rain cover over the drivers periscope and standard gun mantle, not all LAH Panther from the Ardennes offensive had crew heaters and at least 1 had the very rare reinforced gun mantle this is not the chin type V0l 2 Page 54 Panther 002, Jentz doesn’t say when this mantle type appeared it can also be very difficult to notice in pictures, most of this what I have said if not all I know you will already be familiar with , this evening I will have a look at the links above and see what details I can pick out.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:26 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Do you have the idler dimensions to hand? That would be useful in determining what HL have fitted.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:23 AM
rivetcounter

The majority of tanks you want to build should have the original early 600mm idler these can be bought from Asiatam are very accurate, starting in October 1944 the late 650mm idler wheel was fitted this should be the standard idler wheel fitted to both Heng Long and Tamiya
Old 06-22-2015, 07:40 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Ok, so you are referring to the Asiatam 'Panther A' set, correct?

Are the plastic sprockets correct or should I use the metal ones that come with the idlers?
Old 06-22-2015, 07:45 AM
rivetcounter

Yes Martin this was used from the D model through to G model
Old 06-22-2015, 08:59 AM
rivetcounter

This is what I managed to come up with, have a look and see what you think I may have missed some things and it’s possible that one of these Panther may have the reinforced gun mantle though none have the chin gun mantle
111, DB, rain guard, 600mm early idler wheel, Hinterhalt, cast round armoured exhaust, crew heater
131, MNH, round cast armoured exhaust covers, crew heater, rain guard over gun mantle, 600mm early idler wheel, disc pattern, it may also have a rain guard over the drivers periscope
152, MAN Befehlspanther, zimmerit on turret and mantle, rain guard over mantle, poison gas markers, 600mm early idler wheel, welded square armoured exhausts, no crew heater
221, MAN, steel wheels, 600mm early idler wheel, no crew heater, welded square armoured exhaust covers, debris guard over gun mantle/231, MAN steel wheels, 600mm idler wheel, the rest should be the same as 221
234, MAN late 650mm idler wheel, crew heater, rain guard over mantle, welded square armoured exhaust,
Old 06-22-2015, 09:15 AM
EugeniRUS

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the original early 600mm idler can be bought from Asiatam
Good news. I did not know they are available.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:44 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

This is what I managed to come up with, have a look and see what you think I may have missed some things and it’s possible that one of these Panther may have the reinforced gun mantle though none have the chin gun mantle
111, DB, rain guard, 600mm early idler wheel, Hinterhalt, cast round armoured exhaust, crew heater
131, MNH, round cast armoured exhaust covers, crew heater, rain guard over gun mantle, 600mm early idler wheel, disc pattern, it may also have a rain guard over the drivers periscope
152, MAN Befehlspanther, zimmerit on turret and mantle, rain guard over mantle, poison gas markers, 600mm early idler wheel, welded square armoured exhausts, no crew heater
221, MAN, steel wheels, 600mm early idler wheel, no crew heater, welded square armoured exhaust covers, debris guard over gun mantle/231, MAN steel wheels, 600mm idler wheel, the rest should be the same as 221
234, MAN late 650mm idler wheel, crew heater, rain guard over mantle, welded square armoured exhaust,
I'd agree with all of that. Is the Asiatam replacement fan cover any good?

Also - (another reason why this is costing me sooo much money) just saw this go up on the Asiatam site:
http://www.asiatam.com/product_info....tigmodell.html

I haven't even finished painting the Kubelwagon yet...
Old 06-22-2015, 12:05 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something tells me EPT likes Panthers.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:32 PM
rivetcounter

Martin, yes the Panther engine vent or Lüfter http://www.asiatam.com/product_info....r-luefter.html is spot on, the vent also comes with Tamiya Panther and Jagdpanther as an option so you can use either the raised crew heater of the normal vent I suspect there may be one or two spares about.
Asiatam had the Opel Multier on offer at Dortmund along with their entire range
Old 06-22-2015, 01:49 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

I saw the pictures of the Multier, I just wasn't expecting it to be available so soon...
Old 06-22-2015, 06:03 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ex_Pat_Tanker
The Duel in the Mist books have given me too many expensive ideas...

So time to tackle the pile of Panthers I've been slowly accumulating over the last 4 years...

Exhausts (taken from Pantigers ) I've covered in another thread, The top one is going to be an MAN built example, the bottom one will be a Daimler.

On to the turrets.
LAH's distinctive track hangers, made from 1mm diameter brass wire. The first set was a pain to do, but after that I'd gotten the hang of it and was able to turn them out fairly quickly

Quick picture of the insides:

Rounded mantlets:
For the longest time I'd wonder how to do these, should I clone the Profiline one that came with the D model kit? Should I get the Schumo ones? As it happened, the Schumo ones are either out of stock or stupidly expensive at the moment - so I just decided to bite the bullet, back fill the chin with Miliput and then shave it with the Dremel. A few hours of sanding and filling later, I'm actually quite surprised at how good they look

Looks like you will be busy for a while
Old 06-27-2015, 07:39 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Exhaust covers!
0.3mm thick copper sheet, cut into strips 30mm wide and rolled around a knife handle (11mm diameter).

Old 06-27-2015, 08:24 AM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

i might have to make mine a bit bigger

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150627_12_11_30_Pro[1].jpg
Views:	286
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	2106003   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150627_12_15_12_Pro[1].jpg
Views:	287
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	2106004   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150627_12_15_19_Pro[1].jpg
Views:	296
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	2106005   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150627_12_20_27_Pro[1].jpg
Views:	320
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2106006  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.