Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New Taigen V2 Ball Bearing Steel Gearboxes! In stock and ready to go!

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New Taigen V2 Ball Bearing Steel Gearboxes! In stock and ready to go!

Old 02-20-2017, 11:58 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I just seen and I even already pulled it for you RCU first! I'll see what I can do about getting it out today for you as well ok? Hope you enjoyed the site, I'm actually already working on an update

Edit: Just forgot today is President's Day.... no USPS today FedEx is still running but that small of a package is normally sent out USPS. It will go out first thing tomorrow though

Last edited by Imex-Erik; 02-20-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:14 AM
maillemaker

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No rush. The tanks are not going anywhere.

My son gave me a big hug when I told him I was getting him a metal transmission for his tank.

Steve
Old 02-21-2017, 08:20 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by maillemaker
No rush. The tanks are not going anywhere.

My son gave me a big hug when I told him I was getting him a metal transmission for his tank.

Steve
It will go today 100%. I totally forgot about USPS being closed yesterday. I ordered a few things myself and wondered why I didn't get a notification all day I always try to get you guys out first so try to include that in the notes when you order, just say something like thanks Erik or something like that and I'll do my best to bump you up a bit.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:48 PM
maillemaker

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I got the gear boxes and smokers very fast from Imex. I have a stock all-plastic Heng Long Jagdpanther and a stock Heng Long Jagdpanther that came with the zinc metal gearbox, metal drive/idler wheels, and metal treads.

The JP is so heavy that the built-in clutch on the plastic gear box would frequently slip, especially in turns in heavy grass or when trying to go up a steep hill. The zinc gears in my meal JP wore the teeth off of two of the gears in under a year. So I am not very impressed with stock HL zinc gearboxes.

The stock smokers quit working within weeks, so I am not very impressed with stock HL smokers, either.

I installed the steel Imex gearboxes without any problems. They screw directly in place where the original gearboxes were. However the screw that holds the drive wheels in place is bigger than stock, so I had to drill the through-hole larger and carefully drill the counterbore pocket larger (without going too deep!) to accept the larger screw. This was easily done with my drill press, though you do have to watch your fingers because if the drill bit bites and catches in the wheel hub the teeth on the wheel will tear you up!

The smokers are not direct replacements as only 2 of the 3 mounting holes would line up with the stock holes. I just mounted it using 2 screws instead of 3. Both smokers smoked right out of the box - nice to have smoke again.

The 3:1 gearboxes are much faster than the stock gearboxes. The tank runs unrealistically like a race car at full throttle and it is hard to get it to run at a scale speed with the stock proportional speed control. I wish I had gotten 4:1 boxes but they were sold out.

So I would recommend Imex again for fast delivery and a great product.

Steve
Old 02-27-2017, 01:44 PM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by maillemaker
Well, I got the gear boxes and smokers very fast from Imex. I have a stock all-plastic Heng Long Jagdpanther and a stock Heng Long Jagdpanther that came with the zinc metal gearbox, metal drive/idler wheels, and metal treads.

The JP is so heavy that the built-in clutch on the plastic gear box would frequently slip, especially in turns in heavy grass or when trying to go up a steep hill. The zinc gears in my meal JP wore the teeth off of two of the gears in under a year. So I am not very impressed with stock HL zinc gearboxes.

The stock smokers quit working within weeks, so I am not very impressed with stock HL smokers, either.

I installed the steel Imex gearboxes without any problems. They screw directly in place where the original gearboxes were. However the screw that holds the drive wheels in place is bigger than stock, so I had to drill the through-hole larger and carefully drill the counterbore pocket larger (without going too deep!) to accept the larger screw. This was easily done with my drill press, though you do have to watch your fingers because if the drill bit bites and catches in the wheel hub the teeth on the wheel will tear you up!

The smokers are not direct replacements as only 2 of the 3 mounting holes would line up with the stock holes. I just mounted it using 2 screws instead of 3. Both smokers smoked right out of the box - nice to have smoke again.

The 3:1 gearboxes are much faster than the stock gearboxes. The tank runs unrealistically like a race car at full throttle and it is hard to get it to run at a scale speed with the stock proportional speed control. I wish I had gotten 4:1 boxes but they were sold out.

So I would recommend Imex again for fast delivery and a great product.

Steve
Thanks! Yea the JP has an issue fitting the 4:1 due to the High/Low motor mounts needed for the 4:1. The Mid/Low is all that tank can accept. Taigen has pretty much swapped over the M4 screws now, I have a few M3 shafts hanging around but it is kinda getting to the last few and I dont have all configurations. Hopefully your speed controller works pretty well, since that is a plastic chassis tank it shouldn't have too much resistance to fight.
Oh and EVERY SINGLE smoke unit is tested before we ship them just btw guys. I have our warehouse lady test all the units and make sure all the pieces are in them too. Our smoker quality really is much better and the failure rate is almost nonexistent on our side now. Oh and which gearboxes were out of stock? I've got all the new ones presently, even one with 390 motors now In fact, I'm about to put up a metal JP on the Scratch & Dent section just to see if anyone wants one (the demand for tank destroyers is very limited atm). The upper hull does have a small gap in the front, but the quick access works fine, tracks are nice and smooth, and of course the metal lower hull. They have the 390 motors with the M/L gearboxes in them and they work great. If we get enough demand for them they may come sooner, but as of now I think we have a few other priorities first.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:49 PM
pedzola

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Jagdpanther wont fit 4:1's, the sloped front hits the top motor.

A couple of us have had reasonable results with 3:1's in JP's by replacing the motors with BaneBots RS395 motors. These have more torque and operate at a max of 15500rpm at 12 volts. So on the standard 7.2volt battery it should be slower than that. The torque these provide should be reasonable even at reduced speed.

Note you'll need to pull the pinions from the existing motors or else purchase new pinions to match.

http://www.banebots.com/product/M3-RS395-12.html

Another option, return the 3:1's and get 4:1's instead. RCTank.de sells a version of the 4:1 boxes for the JP that includes an offset spacer for top motor so it fits in the Jp hull. I thought they sold the spacer separately but cant find it on the site right now. Here is the listing for the complete gearboxes:
https://www.rctank.de/41-PRO-steel-g...conversion-kit

Ordering from germany your parts might take a while to arrive but many of us have had good experiences with this shop.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:55 PM
pedzola

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Erik if you sold a Sturmtiger, JP, or Stug with 4:1 equivalent speed they would be much more attractive.

I am still holding out for an SU-152!
Old 02-27-2017, 02:26 PM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by pedzola
Erik if you sold a Sturmtiger, JP, or Stug with 4:1 equivalent speed they would be much more attractive.

I am still holding out for an SU-152!
Funny, those are all the tanks that cant have a 4:1 due to upper hull constraints. As much as I like the SU-152 you would be more likely to see a JS series tank before that IMO. The tank destroyers just aren't near as popular as the regular tanks and I personally think that is a shame. I really like the JP and Stugs myself.