Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

DISC camo on the WWII Jagdpanther?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

DISC camo on the WWII Jagdpanther?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 12:45 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Question DISC camo on the WWII Jagdpanther?

Looking for images or photos (and book suggestions too) for any REAL evidence of this during war time on ANY version of the Jagdpanther.

(my material is short on this)

Jeff
Old 07-09-2015, 02:12 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeff, there are no pictures of Jagdpanther with disc pattern or Hinterhalt (ambush) only the standard 3 colour patterns were used.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:15 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

That's what I thought Mark and I thank you for replying. I have looked EVERYWHERE.

So I guess these were truly field applied due to what operation and division they were sent to?

Jeff
Old 07-09-2015, 06:19 AM
Rustytrax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was the purpose of factory applied camo? If it was to help conceal them during transport then why wouldn't a JP made alongside panthers at MAN/MNH be painted the same?

Maybe there was a doctrine that directed the TDs to be simplified because they would use foliage over them anyway, I don't know.

I also agree that any variation of hinterhalt probably wouldn't be attempted in the field. This would be for many reasons, but mostly time. The depot had repairs to complete and the crew would have been the ones painting.
In my experience painting camo on vehicles sucks. It took me two days to do a jeep. I based it green, then drew the pattern in chalk and painted by the numbers ( black and brown ). Add doing this during the war and I'm surprised they got so many vehicles the same.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AF9PCpC4-i...olour_sml2.jpg
Old 07-09-2015, 06:30 AM
Rustytrax

Then I found this one showing stripes at the factory.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-IY5GTfxqA3...jnbmkgl%2C.gif

not the heavy shadow lines
Old 07-09-2015, 08:51 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustytrax
Then I found this one showing stripes at the factory.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-IY5GTfxqA3...jnbmkgl%2C.gif

not the heavy shadow lines
It's all shadows, isn't it?

It's really hard to tell whether it's paint or secondary shadowing from rafters or something, but wasn't the camo applied after assembly?
Old 07-09-2015, 08:54 AM
Rustytrax

LOL I thought so also. After looking at it I think the only rafters are the dark lines. I donlt see any lighter ones on the floor.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:07 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Disc pattern camouflage was only done for 1 month then dropped probably owing to the complexity of applying it was never a field applied pattern the same with Hinterhalt.
The reason why factories were painting tanks was not to conceal them during transport it was for purposes of lack of paint by only issuing to the factories Germany saved vast quantities of paint that would otherwise have been wasted.
Jagdpanther never received Hinterhalt or Disc pattern because MIAG who first built Jagpanther never used this as a factory patter and by the time MNH started building Jagdpanther they had long since stopped the disc pattern but if you personaly wish to use this pattern on a Jagdpanther then go ahead but it’s wrong