Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Opinions needed for a Jagdpanther

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Opinions needed for a Jagdpanther

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 06:27 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Or if you really want to go cheap, grab one of these and slap the Taigen Steel gears in it. Having the gears up front reduces the need for adding weight.

http://www.amazon.com/JAGDPanther-Ve...ng+jagdpanther

Oh, and there are two easy ways of removing track recoil.

Either wire in a second RX-18, or plug one of these in.

http://rctanksaustralia.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=259
Old 07-23-2015, 06:34 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Also, don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing Tamiya. I fully intend to buy one and take it to Danville one day.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:12 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't get into the X vs X battles, but I will say that Jagdpanther upgrades are being looked into Special ones....
Old 07-23-2015, 08:41 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Roboticus_Prime
My thoughts are, why buy a F1 race car if there is no track for me to race people with?

That's why I buy HL and Taigen tanks. They are like buying a Dodge (HL) or a Ford (Taigen) pickup. You can drive them around and use them just about anywhere, where as the F1 race car (Tamiya) needs a track and people to race with to really have fun.

What a load of rubbish,

Me and John (Pcomm 1) sometimes don’t see eye to eye on things but I have to 100% agree with everything he says in this instance, sorry John normal service will resume shortly.

Cheap is chap and it will always be cheap regardless of how much you spend on it, if you want to buy a cheap Heng Long then go ahead but don’t ask people to tell you it’s as good or better than a Tamiya because it isn’t, how old are you 14
Old 07-23-2015, 09:36 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Originally Posted by rivetcounter
What a load of rubbish,

Me and John (Pcomm 1) sometimes don’t see eye to eye on things but I have to 100% agree with everything he says in this instance, sorry John normal service will resume shortly.

Cheap is chap and it will always be cheap regardless of how much you spend on it, if you want to buy a cheap Heng Long then go ahead but don’t ask people to tell you it’s as good or better than a Tamiya because it isn’t, how old are you 14
I never said anything about HL be better than Tamiya... I'm 29 by the way, and it's rather rude to attack someone over toy tanks.

If you had paid attention to Ryan's posts, you would have known that he wanted a tank to drive in his back yard to shoot stuff with BB's. Correct me if I'm wrong, but tamiya tanks don't have airsoft, correct? Then that is clearly not the best option for him.

Also, there are more brands then just HL and Tamiya.

Last edited by Roboticus_Prime; 07-23-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:43 AM
dgsselkirk

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Why the cheap shots guys? The guy has made it quite clear he doesn't want to spend a lot of money. He knows he is not going to get the best, he wants to spend less than $500 but wants to get as good as he can get for that price. What is so hard to understand about that?

So within that budget lets give him the best advice we can shall we?

For IR battle I personally would look for the Taigen lower, HL upper with the IR set up and regular HL apple, Clark board with upgraded emitter, servo recoil, upgrade the speaker at your local electronics store, add a TARR 1 smoker and it will come in under the $500 mark.

Get yourself a Turnigy 9X for like $120 bucks and when you buy more tanks in the future you can run them all on that one radio.

And in case you are wondering, yes, I have this set up... :-)

If you want BB just substitute HL BB upper for the IR set up. :-)

Last edited by dgsselkirk; 07-23-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:57 AM
R|M|D Photography

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dgsselkirk thank you!

And I went ahead and made the decision on going with a Taigen tank for now. My experience with my buddies taigen Tiger that I paid Ted has been great. It drives wonders around my HL Pershing. I do appreciate all the advice, but some people just don't seem to grasp things about budget and that I am not doing battles.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:58 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Lightbulb

We ALL KNOW about budgets... that's why it's called a hobby.

If not, it's called a business.

Jeff
Old 07-23-2015, 12:21 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R|M|D Photography
I do appreciate all the advice, but some people just don't seem to grasp things about budget and that I am not doing battles.
I'm glad you're happy with your decision, but don't sell the advice short that it was missed about non-battling and budget.

You seem to be a guy who wants a good scale representation of a tank, specifically a JP. You mentioned you wanted one that'll run well. You also detail your stuff very well and mentioned you didn't want to spend $1000. That's what everyone reacted to.

If you want a scale rep of a JP, you'll need traverse. If you want reliability, with a hobby grade Tx/Rx (probably the best 2 stick surface radio available), your best deal is still Tamiya.

The comparison of Tamiya to F1 is off base. The value of Tamiya isn't in just IR. It can go anywhere, not on specific tracks. A better comparison would be Dodge to Mercedes. They both go the same places, just one does it a heck of a lot nicer. Doesn't mean you need the Benz, but if it was just a few bucks more than a Dodge, would you still but a Dodge?

Again, it's no big deal to anyone what you buy, it'll all look great from my house.

But if you are only interested in airsoft, then the question should have been phrased which is the better JP, HL or Taigen.

And by the way, I had both my Tamiyas for about 8 years before I bought a TBU. Once I did, I never looked back. It's an insane boost to the enjoyment of these things, even if it's just two in a backyard. Never say never.

Me and my boys would go to a field a fly some foam ultra micros around. We'd do it for about 20 minutes or so, then get bored and head home. Then one day we came up with a game where we were strafing each other. We had so much fun, we'd do that for hours, only going home after after it was too dark or too damaged. Tanks are the same, it's neat to drive for a few minutes, but that gets old. Battles, especially one on ones, are crazy. I had to grind the friction points off the Tx sticks because we were cutting our fingers fighting in the backyard. A Tiger I vs a M4 amongst a bunch of obstacles is a heck of a lot of fun. Sherman gets to fire faster, Tiger takes more damage. Best or smartest man wins.

Remember, as RC tankers, we are all the rented mules of RC. We need to stick together and drive on...

Last edited by ausf; 07-23-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:29 PM
R|M|D Photography

One of the pushing factors is that my buddy has an airsoft taigen(the one I pained) and found out my buddy that works at the hobby store does as well. They have talked about possibly converting them to be able to IR battle. And I also found out a local racetrack also started selling the Taigen tanks as well and is trying to get people to ONLY go with IR. Once or if they get enough people they will do some batlles on their offroad track. Lame compared to most but its something, and it will all be taigen based......IF it happens.

That and I almost came home with a sherman instead....lol
Old 07-23-2015, 01:38 PM
ausf

Originally Posted by R|M|D Photography
Once or if they get enough people they will do some batlles on their offroad track. Lame compared to most but its something, and it will all be taigen based......IF it happens.
It's not lame, it sounds better than most.

The NEAD events I've gone to are a few guys surrounding a pile of dirt and eating pizza. Not bad a bad way to spend a weekend afternoon. Trust me, even the two guys you know fighting amongst a bunch of boxes will get your heart beating.

Provided all components work as they should (Only tried HL IR once and it blew).

IR for tanks, leave the plinking to air rifles.

Me and the boys have airsoft too, just in repros of Thompsons and MP40s. Of course you don't get welts from airsoft tanks, but you can't unload a mag into a snow-bunker either.

Last edited by ausf; 07-23-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:40 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ausf
I'm glad you're happy with your decision, but don't sell the advice short that it was missed about non-battling and budget.

You seem to be a guy who wants a good scale representation of a tank, specifically a JP. You mentioned you wanted one that'll run well. You also detail your stuff very well and mentioned you didn't want to spend $1000. That's what everyone reacted to.

If you want a scale rep of a JP, you'll need traverse. If you want reliability, with a hobby grade Tx/Rx (probably the best 2 stick surface radio available), your best deal is still Tamiya.

The comparison of Tamiya to F1 is off base. The value of Tamiya isn't in just IR. It can go anywhere, not on specific tracks. A better comparison would be Dodge to Mercedes. They both go the same places, just one does it a heck of a lot nicer. Doesn't mean you need the Benz, but if it was just a few bucks more than a Dodge, would you still but a Dodge?

Again, it's no big deal to anyone what you buy, it'll all look great from my house.

But if you are only interested in airsoft, then the question should have been phrased which is the better JP, HL or Taigen.

And by the way, I had both my Tamiyas for about 8 years before I bought a TBU. Once I did, I never looked back. It's an insane boost to the enjoyment of these things, even if it's just two in a backyard. Never say never.

Me and my boys would go to a field a fly some foam ultra micros around. We'd do it for about 20 minutes or so, then get bored and head home. Then one day we came up with a game where we were strafing each other. We had so much fun, we'd do that for hours, only going home after after it was too dark or too damaged. Tanks are the same, it's neat to drive for a few minutes, but that gets old. Battles, especially one on ones, are crazy. I had to grind the friction points off the Tx sticks because we were cutting our fingers fighting in the backyard. A Tiger I vs a M4 amongst a bunch of obstacles is a heck of a lot of fun. Sherman gets to fire faster, Tiger takes more damage. Best or smartest man wins.

Remember, as RC tankers, we are all the rented mules of RC. We need to stick together and drive on...

i kind of like some Dodges...LOL

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ccrp_0606_07_z+1967_dodge_coronet+passenger_side_view.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	2110843  
Old 07-23-2015, 03:12 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Originally Posted by Airbrushler
i kind of like some Dodges...LOL

That is exactly the point of my metaphor! lol

Out of the factory, that car was pretty cool, but nothing to write home about. However, with some modification, it stands toe to toe with the best of them!
Old 07-23-2015, 03:52 PM
ausf

However, with some modification, it stands toe to toe with the best of them!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Some modification? Any resemblance between that car and the factory version is purely coincidental. New frame, new front end, new rear, different brakes (4 tiny drums ain't stopping that one), body altered, rims, tires, if it runs, it has a roll cage, plus all the engine work, trans, most likely a 4 speed, etc. It's not exactly a can of yellow paint on Grandma's old church goer.

I used to restore 60s Impalas. If that car was done even remotely right, it cost as much as a new Benz. If it's just cosmetic, then it's junk.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:37 PM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

You should have just stated up front you didn't want a Tamiya even if it came under $1,000. It would have saved guys time trying to recommend it to you.

I don't think that a working track tensioner was mentioned here yet. I don't know some of the Jagdpanther offerings well, but if it does not have a track tensioner, it will not run well. Or any tank for that matter. You will have more problems than pleasure making sure you don't throw a track just making a turn, or driving on cambered terrain. Even if you don't immediately have a problem, you will encounter it later, as tracks will stretch as you use them.

I would get the cheapest possible Jagdpanther ($130), and purchase the Asiatam Panther lower hull which comes with hardened gearboxes, metal roadwheels, torsion bar suspension, and track tensioners. It costs over $300 for the upgrade but does what it says on the tin. Run the stock RX18 electronics till they go poof, they are cheap to replace, and when your local guys get their IR act together, get the Clark or IBU2 boards.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:04 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Originally Posted by ausf
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Some modification? Any resemblance between that car and the factory version is purely coincidental. New frame, new front end, new rear, different brakes (4 tiny drums ain't stopping that one), body altered, rims, tires, if it runs, it has a roll cage, plus all the engine work, trans, most likely a 4 speed, etc. It's not exactly a can of yellow paint on Grandma's old church goer.

I used to restore 60s Impalas. If that car was done even remotely right, it cost as much as a new Benz. If it's just cosmetic, then it's junk.
Sure, if you pay someone to do it. I'm talking about building it yourself, one piece at a time. It's not always about how much something cost. Hell, I build gaming computers that are just as powerful as the $2k+ rigs for only $600. The trick is to do it slowly and find sales and deals, not just buy the newest and baddest thing out there. Either way, I'm done with this.

Sorry for derailing your thread Ryan.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:05 PM
dgsselkirk

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Yea, sorry Ryan you had to go through this. I think you were able to sort through it though and you made a good choice.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:59 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by Panther F
We ALL KNOW about budgets... that's why it's called a hobby.

If not, it's called a business.

Jeff
This is soooooo true. But to be honest if we didn't have a budget we wouldn't need to sell it all right? I think business hobbies are mainly just to provide more funding for personal hobbies At least that is how it is for me! My gf does not enjoy any of my RC habits since I got the microquad stuck in her hair. Since then I must watch what I spend!
Old 07-24-2015, 06:29 AM
Green Amphibian

Erik, that was not conducive to having a supportive partner for your RC hobbies. Next time tell her to duck!

Herman
Old 07-24-2015, 07:20 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
This is soooooo true. But to be honest if we didn't have a budget we wouldn't need to sell it all right? I think business hobbies are mainly just to provide more funding for personal hobbies At least that is how it is for me! My gf does not enjoy any of my RC habits since I got the microquad stuck in her hair. Since then I must watch what I spend!
My solution to the GF problem was to buy her a new car the day before my new tank showed up.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:45 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

My solution to the GF problem was to buy her a new car the day before my new tank showed up.
That makes for a VERY expensive tank.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:12 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by Green Amphibian
Erik, that was not conducive to having a supportive partner for your RC hobbies. Next time tell her to duck!

Herman
I was actually showing our Voyager quadcopter to her family and the AC blew it into her hair! I had to take the props off to get it out. We all had a good laugh... except her.
Just did a few months ago actually, a new 2015 Elantra
Originally Posted by Max-U52
That makes for a VERY expensive tank.
Yes, it does. I also have to let her subscribe to goofy things like handmade monthly fingernail polish and more. I have however managed to convince her I need a new desk in our gaming room for more hobbies so I think I am finally wearing her down. Now if I could only get her to FPV it would be much nicer, she gets motion sickness so she wont even put on my goggles.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:39 AM
Tanker 10

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
I don't get into the X vs X battles, but I will say that Jagdpanther upgrades are being looked into Special ones....
I for one, would really like to see them go beyond the "looking into" stage.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:53 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Me, too, Joe. They have traverse in the Sturmtiger, that would be a great upgrade to the Jagdpanther.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:09 AM
Tanker 10

I agree Gary, and some US tank destroyers would be nice too.