Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Taigen Tiger I and Tk-22 questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Taigen Tiger I and Tk-22 questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 08:42 AM
watchguyusa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taigen Tiger I and Tk-22 questions

Hello everyone ! this is my first post on this forum! I have done a bunch of research on the internet (but not here)
I have been out of the RC hobby for many years and am very impressed with the RTR rc tanks available now! wow they came a long way!

I am interested in the Taigen early tiger I infrared metal version and
would like to install the tk22 board and have a few questions, can the stock
taigen radio be used with the tk22? I think not? As the receiver in built into
the taigen stock mother board? Correct? So a average 4 channel radio and receiver
should be fine? Also can the stock taigen barrel recoil system work with the
tk22? And will the recoil action be improved with the tk22? Or act in the same
manner as stock? Will the flash be brighter?
What benefits will I enjoy with the
tk22 board vs the stock mother board? Besides the sound?
I went to Clark radio
website and they show how you have to wire in the recoil unit to the tk22? Is
that necessary ? Since the taigen tiger tank already has a recoil unit installed
from the factory?
Many thanks for your time to answer all my questions !
Old 07-25-2015, 09:09 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by watchguyusa
Hello everyone ! this is my first post on this forum! I have done a bunch of research on the internet (but not here)
I have been out of the RC hobby for many years and am very impressed with the RTR rc tanks available now! wow they came a long way!

I am interested in the Taigen early tiger I infrared metal version and
would like to install the tk22 board and have a few questions, can the stock
taigen radio be used with the tk22? I think not? As the receiver in built into
the taigen stock mother board? Correct? So a average 4 channel radio and receiver
should be fine? Also can the stock taigen barrel recoil system work with the
tk22? And will the recoil action be improved with the tk22? Or act in the same
manner as stock? Will the flash be brighter?
What benefits will I enjoy with the
tk22 board vs the stock mother board? Besides the sound?
I went to Clark radio
website and they show how you have to wire in the recoil unit to the tk22? Is
that necessary ? Since the taigen tiger tank already has a recoil unit installed
from the factory?
Many thanks for your time to answer all my questions !
Hi, Watchguy and welcome.

The TK22 won't work with the stock TX, You'll need at least a 4 channel TX/RX. The stock motherboard also doesn't get used.

The stock recoil will work. Not sure if it will work better or if you'll get better flash.

At Clark's site you want to check recoil installation for the asiatam unit, as that's what's in a taigen.

You might also want to check out the IBU2 and the Asp, both great boards that offer much better sound than the clark, or maybe look at the TBS Mini, but that's very expensive just to get engine sounds (IMO).

Again, welcome aboard. Have you purchased your tank yet?
Old 07-25-2015, 09:22 AM
watchguyusa

Originally Posted by Max-U52
Hi, Watchguy and welcome.

The TK22 won't work with the stock TX, You'll need at least a 4 channel TX/RX. The stock motherboard also doesn't get used.

The stock recoil will work. Not sure if it will work better or if you'll get better flash.

At Clark's site you want to check recoil installation for the asiatam unit, as that's what's in a taigen.

You might also want to check out the IBU2 and the Asp, both great boards that offer much better sound than the clark, or maybe look at the TBS Mini, but that's very expensive just to get engine sounds (IMO).

Again, welcome aboard. Have you purchased your tank yet?
Hi and thanks for the info! and I'm happy to be here!
No I haven't purchased a tank yet, but planning to very soon! would maybe like to find one with all the goodies already installed, have looks in the classified but no luck so far...
Old 07-25-2015, 12:21 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gary

TBS is more then just engine sounds, and will supply all tank sounds, plus additional lighting and extra servo control as well. As far as the ASP goes I have yet to see a video by a consumer and am really waiting to hear an impartial review of this system. Did you receive your Asp system yet?. Also what is the price of these ASP boards ?

As to to the gain of upgrading.

Moving to hobby grade electronics is one of the benefits of doing an upgrade. All of the sound and IR boards require industry standard signals. Also be aware that some of these third party boards require a particular radio or at least more than 4 channels. Also some features advertised can actually be performed by the programmable radio. Most programmable radios can handle servo recoil, servo gun elevation, and even turret rotation if you get a continuous servo. As a matter of fact if you are not into IR battling all you really need is a programmable radio and a good ESC for all the tank functions.

Last edited by YHR; 07-25-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:01 PM
Max-U52

My Asp is on the way. It was $155.24 US, including shipping. I'll do a box opening when it gets here and give you my opinions (I hate to use the word "review") when I get it installed.

I don't know all that much about the TBS mini, but if you ask me 235 dollars (plus shipping) is a lot for any sound system. I can get an Asp AND a TK22 for that much. I'm not saying it isn't a good board, it may be the best board ever built for all I know, but that price was a jaw dropper when I first heard it.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:05 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The TBS is $140 CAN, but when combined with the BARC4 ($90 CAN) it does get expensive. The cost of manufacturing in Germany and Canada comes with a price. The unfortunate reality of a global economy. The Chinese subsidized mail adds to this dilemma as well, but hey, that is the reason China is winning the manufacturing war. Nothing I can do about that. I buy cheap Heng Longs, because they are cheap.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:02 AM
Jmiller70

Welcome to the addiction. The TK22 board is a great upgrade to the Tiger, not only for sounds, but the track recoil is reduced. Check out R/C Tanks of OKC, they have the boards in stock, along with the Sony remotes, and wire to program the board, and radios. The wiring for the recoil, and elevation needs to be adapted to get the recoil/elevation system to work with the TK22, or, you can upgrade to the servo recoil/elevation unit, RC Tanks is listed as sold out of the Tiger units, but they do backorder, I have a package on the way from them, ordered the end of last month, shipped yesterday. As soon as I get everything together, and programmed, I'll get some more info posted.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:10 AM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by YHR
The TBS is $140 CAN, but when combined with the BARC4 ($90 CAN) it does get expensive. The cost of manufacturing in Germany and Canada comes with a price. The unfortunate reality of a global economy. The Chinese subsidized mail adds to this dilemma as well, but hey, that is the reason China is winning the manufacturing war. Nothing I can do about that. I buy cheap Heng Longs, because they are cheap.
Sorry, I was lookin' at the TBS5 for 215 EUR. Even at 99EUR for the mini that's a lot for just sound.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:13 AM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by Jmiller70
Welcome to the addiction. The TK22 board is a great upgrade to the Tiger, not only for sounds, but the track recoil is reduced. Check out R/C Tanks of OKC, they have the boards in stock, along with the Sony remotes, and wire to program the board, and radios. The wiring for the recoil, and elevation needs to be adapted to get the recoil/elevation system to work with the TK22, or, you can upgrade to the servo recoil/elevation unit, RC Tanks is listed as sold out of the Tiger units, but they do backorder, I have a package on the way from them, ordered the end of last month, shipped yesterday. As soon as I get everything together, and programmed, I'll get some more info posted.
I'm really looking forward to this, as I've never installed a clark in an IR tank. Thanks in advance for taking the time to enlighten poor idjits like me.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:42 AM
watchguyusa

Originally Posted by Jmiller70
yes I think the TK 22 is a great upgrade ,and you can turn off the track recoil completely is great! also has a momentum function that eliminates the jerky start and stop? from what I've read .. I have been on tanks from OKC website and they show "IN STOCK" on the tk 22 boards..
Old 07-26-2015, 08:54 AM
watchguyusa

also one think that kinda baffles me? I notice all the rage with the new V2 smoke units that Taigen introduced, and although I think the much increased smoke is great, but, I have seen many videos of REAL Tiger tanks being start up and driven around and I see hardly any smoke at all coming from there exhaust? so wouldn't the better smoke machine be a less realistic mod? compared to a real life tiger tank?

heres a video , it seems like the initial start up there is smoke, but after the start up very little to none smoke?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROnb5ouBjNc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwdiaW4Fbgk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhA51aL6euQ

Last edited by watchguyusa; 07-26-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:45 AM
Max-U52

Smoke can be a touchy subject for some, like one of those things where you either love it or you hate it. You're right that most German tanks didn't really smoke that much (the Russian tanks are a different story) but for me personally, I like the effect in RC tanks. I guess smoke is mainly a matter of personal preference, and realism becomes a victim of what looks cool.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:36 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by watchguyusa
also one think that kinda baffles me? I notice all the rage with the new V2 smoke units that Taigen introduced, and although I think the much increased smoke is great, but, I have seen many videos of REAL Tiger tanks being start up and driven around and I see hardly any smoke at all coming from there exhaust? so wouldn't the better smoke machine be a less realistic mod? compared to a real life tiger tank?

heres a video , it seems like the initial start up there is smoke, but after the start up very little to none smoke?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROnb5ouBjNc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwdiaW4Fbgk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhA51aL6euQ
You're exactly right.

Smoke bellowing out of a steam engine burning coal for a boiler may be realistic, smoke bellowing out of a tank means that tank will be pounced on by every enemy plane or anti-tank unit in sight. Those metal shrouds around the exhaust stacks are to hide the red hot exhaust glow. Don't you think if they went to the lengths of designing that, they'd do their best to keep the exhaust trail to a minimum.

Why bother with camouflage if you're going to send smoke signals like you're an extra from F Troop? Where's Tiger? There's Tiger.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:10 PM
watchguyusa

Originally Posted by ausf
You're exactly right.

Smoke bellowing out of a steam engine burning coal for a boiler may be realistic, smoke bellowing out of a tank means that tank will be pounced on by every enemy plane or anti-tank unit in sight. Those metal shrouds around the exhaust stacks are to hide the red hot exhaust glow. Don't you think if they went to the lengths of designing that, they'd do their best to keep the exhaust trail to a minimum.

Why bother with camouflage if you're going to send smoke signals like you're an extra from F Troop? Where's Tiger? There's Tiger.
LOL!! thats what I think! also unless the engine was worn out it wouldn't smoke period! if the Tiger was a diesel engine? that would be a different story !
Old 07-26-2015, 12:13 PM
Tanker 10

I think thats a poor example, a tank from a museum that is probably maintained at least weekly? I'm sure there were many tanks running around the countryside in need of engine work that smoked their *****'s off.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:46 AM
Jmiller70

The last few weeks have been busy, and the order from RC tanks of OKC had an issue, and am still waiting, for it to be taken care of, so the upgrades for my IR Tiger are still not yet complete.