Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Looking to build

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 09:40 AM
Tankkiller308

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to build

Hi I'm new to Rc tanks and I'm wanting to build one but I know the one I want to build is a little to complex for a beginner. so all you the great scratch builders out there how would I go about even starting to build a standard tank like a tiger I just can't seem find where to start. I also over engineer things and want really good detail so are there any K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid) methods out there to help me stay simple and easy.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:09 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Tankkiller308
Hi I'm new to Rc tanks and I'm wanting to build one but I know the one I want to build is a little to complex for a beginner. so all you the great scratch builders out there how would I go about even starting to build a standard tank like a tiger I just can't seem find where to start. I also over engineer things and want really good detail so are there any K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid) methods out there to help me stay simple and easy.

Okay, let's see. You're new to tanks and you want to "K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid)" and you want to "stay simple and easy"?

Buy a Heng Long Tiger RTR.

Jeff
Old 07-27-2015, 10:11 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are many Tigers on the market, so scratch building one wouldn't be a great use of time.

If you really want to build one, start with a Tamiya kit (their best engineered kit IMO) and you can upgrade all you want in terms of over engineering with bearings, gearboxes, etc. But it comes with everything you need to make a solid scale rep of the Tiger I and would be a good basis of info to expand upon for your next build.

Other options are RTR tanks that you can rip apart to rebuild and correct, add details, etc.

Biggest issue with scratchbuild a tank is the running gear, specifically track links and drive sprockets. That's why you see a lot of the same or variants of the same tanks. Same in the real versions too. Armies would build variants of existing hulls for different purposes or in response to other tanks. Look at all the different turret and gun combinations the Russians used o basically two chassis, or how many different platforms the Germans built on a Panther hull. US as well but to a lessor extent.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:24 AM
Tankkiller308

Originally Posted by Panther F
Okay, let's see. You're new to tanks and you want to "K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid)" and you want to "stay simple and easy"?

Jeff
Ya I had a heng long and hated it I'm trying to sell it right now and no just buying one doesn't help unless it's a tamiya to help me learn to build I'm tryin to build a m48 Patton but nobody will make one to buy, the few that have made one don't want to sell, and nobody makes a m48 Patton to convert into one so I need the skills to build one and help on how to start
Old 07-27-2015, 10:27 AM
Tankkiller308

Thanks ausf I've started looking at tamiyas I used to think they were not worth the 1200 dollars when I could buy one for 500 but it seems there is a lot I was missing about them I still find it hard to dish out that cash but maybe I can find one cheaper
Old 07-27-2015, 10:52 AM
R|M|D Photography

Thanks ausf I've started looking at tamiyas I used to think they were not worth the 1200 dollars when I could buy one for 500 but it seems there is a lot I was missing about them I still find it hard to dish out that cash but maybe I can find one cheaper
Here is a site that was pointed out to me recently, looks like your $1200 tiger is about $600 (probably another $100 shipping).

http://banzaihobby.com/tamiya-56009
Old 07-27-2015, 11:43 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, the $1200 Tamiya has been debunked. Part myth, part vendors not wanting to deal with a large shelf killer, the remainder just the go to Tamiya-basher.

You can routinely find the M4 in the States for under $500, but as pointed out above, Banzai will land you Tamiya (since Banzai is in Japan, it includes the Futaba Attack Tx/Rx) for considerably less than the $1000 pricetag everyone quotes. Even the JS-2 that originally fell under the 'no one will buy it' but turns out is a pretty popular model can be in your lap in as little as 2 days for under $800.

Don't get me wrong, Tamiya did it to themselves with the absurd sticker price they put on the 1/16 line, it literally killed any thought of most retailers carrying them. I can buy the kits from Banzai for less than my wholesale would be, so only large volume purchases are worthwhile for shops.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:10 PM
Tankkiller308

Thank you guys I'll take a look
Old 07-27-2015, 12:34 PM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=Panther F;12075958]Okay, let's see. You're new to tanks and you want to "K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid)" and you want to "stay simple and easy"?

I agree with Jeff
rex ross
Old 07-27-2015, 12:39 PM
Tankkiller308

[QUOTE=Rex Ross;12076030]

I agree with Jeff
rex ross
Like I said have one not trying to build something usual I love specialty vehicles like the bridge laying tanks, carpet layers, mine flails, etc.. But I have to build ones like that not buy if I was to buy an RTR it would be a Taigen all metal with an asp board
Old 07-27-2015, 12:41 PM
Panther F

Ya I had a heng long and hated it I'm trying to sell it right now and no just buying one doesn't help unless it's a tamiya to help me learn to build I'm tryin to build a m48 Patton but nobody will make one to buy, the few that have made one don't want to sell, and nobody makes a m48 Patton to convert into one so I need the skills to build one and help on how to start

I totally agree with you on Heng Longs and their lack of detail, RC response and durability.

BUT... did you know a 1/18 scale collectable of the M48A1 was produced? I mean A LOT of work would have to go into this thing to make it appreciable for RC but it's a start! It has no active suspension, made mostly of plastic but there have been a few enterprising individuals that have made one run.

Just a thought...

Jeff
Old 07-27-2015, 12:48 PM
Tankkiller308

I totally agree with you on Heng Longs and their lack of detail, RC response and durability.

BUT... did you know a 1/18 scale collectable of the M48A1 was produced? I mean A LOT of work would have to go into this thing to make it appreciable for RC but it's a start! It has no active suspension, made mostly of plastic but there have been a few enterprising individuals that have made one run.

Just a thought...

Jeff
Oh ya I've considered that it is made by 21st century toys I have a panther along with some other models from them and the plastic is brittle and if something broke from the weight of the bridge I would have to restart so I decided no on that route
Old 07-27-2015, 01:25 PM
Panther F

Sure, a bridge-layer wouldn't be a great idea using THAT as a base vehicle. I have 2 of them I was going to look into making the M48A5K but it just collects dust. LOL

Jeff
Old 07-27-2015, 02:07 PM
Tankkiller308

Sure, a bridge-layer wouldn't be a great idea using THAT as a base vehicle. I have 2 of them I was going to look into making the M48A5K but it just collects dust. LOL

Jeff
Ya that will look great keep us posted on the progress looking forward to seeing it
Old 07-28-2015, 12:18 PM
saber77

Hi Tankkiller I have built 1 Tamiya I/16 tank so far It was a Tiger 1 I think I did not do a bad job for my 1st one an as long as you can follow direction and if you have built a model or 2 you should do just fine just read the instruction till you understand what there trying to get you to do and the guys here are all-some if you need a bit of help along the way hope this helps

Denny
Old 07-28-2015, 03:55 PM
Tankkiller308

Originally Posted by saber77
Hi Tankkiller I have built 1 Tamiya I/16 tank so far It was a Tiger 1 I think I did not do a bad job for my 1st one an as long as you can follow direction and if you have built a model or 2 you should do just fine just read the instruction till you understand what there trying to get you to do and the guys here are all-some if you need a bit of help along the way hope this helps

Denny
Oh ya I've built some model planes before never a tank I still have an old 1/16 HL that I'll use as my initial canvase and copy over to the tamiya once I'm satisfied with my technique