Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Have you heard anything about the Battletrax 1/10 scale R/C Tiger 1?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Have you heard anything about the Battletrax 1/10 scale R/C Tiger 1?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 07:47 AM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Have you heard anything about the Battletrax 1/10 scale R/C Tiger 1?

I just received my World War II magazine in the mail and while glancing thru it saw a full page ad for the Battletrax 1/10 Tiger 1. I can't remember seeing any talk here on RCU about it and was just curious if anybody knew anything on it.

The ad sez their 1/10 Tiger 1 is all metal, weighs 55 pounds, and is driven by 12v drive motors. It has a smoke generator, recoil, sound, T&E, and Torsion bar suspension. Said it can 'battle' other tanks at 250 yards (which they say would be 2500 scale yards). It's being made in England and it gives the prices (including shipping).

I had never heard about it but you may have. The ad sez their site is: www.battletrax.co.uk

Mike in Kentucky
Old 07-28-2015, 08:23 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I took a look at these guys, Mike, and my first problem is that a Tiger One will cost me well over $3,000.00 before it even gets to paint. Another thing I really didn't like is that they make it pretty clear that they want to see 1/10 scale REPLACE 1/16th scale. They have nice looking stuff but the cost is ridiculous. If I'm gonna spend anything even close to that kind of money I'll be going 1/6th scale.

On the other hand, their site did lead me to Brunel Models and I've already contacted them to see if they do anything in 1/16th scale buildings, or what I'm especially interested in, plans for those buildings. We'll see what they say.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:41 AM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah, they're really 'proud' of'em at that price. Just wanted to pass along the ad I saw.

I'm sticking with 1/16 and 1/6.

Mike

Last edited by Old MSgt; 07-28-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:51 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

It looks like the price is in the Battle system. It's taking things into account like range, ammo types, and shell arc. You can also have a crew run the thing. Commander/Driver and Gunner/Loader.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:55 AM
Roboticus_Prime

It even takes where the "shell" hits the tank, and gun penetration vs armor thickness into account.

It's quite a promising system really.

http://www.battletrax.co.uk/howitworks.php

Last edited by Roboticus_Prime; 07-28-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:04 AM
R|M|D Photography

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds pretty cool. I think I like the idea of 1/10th scale because of it being the standard for most RC genres. But no way am I spending that kind of money!
Old 07-28-2015, 10:09 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Originally Posted by R|M|D Photography
Sounds pretty cool. I think I like the idea of 1/10th scale because of it being the standard for most RC genres. But no way am I spending that kind of money!
Indeed.

Unless the battle system somehow requires the size and construction of the tanks, I think they should drop the 1/10 scale and just develop the battle system for the existing market. Well, maybe not drop it... Those tanks are cool!

But, they should definitely develop the battle system. Even on their tanks, it's separate form the tank's RC system And should be pretty simple to add to other tanks.

Last edited by Roboticus_Prime; 07-28-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:17 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by R|M|D Photography
But no way am I spending that kind of money!

I can see that.

I will stick with 1/16 and 1/6 as well as I already started in that larger scale and would love to add at least a German tank.

Jeff
Old 07-28-2015, 10:25 AM
Max-U52

While 1/10 is very cool, imagine all the space you'd need to store it. I mean, I have just a half a dozen buildings put together in 1/16 and I'm already running out of space in the garage. And with 15 tanks in 1/16 it's getting to be a chore to create new shelf space, with 1/10 I'd be in trouble.

I did hear back from Brunel models (that was quick) and they don't have any 1/16 products. They offered to design and build anything I want in 1/16 but you know that's gonna get expensive in a hurry. If I were a dealer looking to market house kits it would be different, but as just one guy trying to decorate the backyard I guess I'll stick to building my own stuff. It's working out OK so far, so I'll just keep on truckin'. Or tankin'?
Old 07-28-2015, 10:32 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Just Checked the site again. It's $500 for the battle system.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:35 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't El Mod's system account for all of that? I thought it would disable the left track if the hit was from the left, etc. and you could set up a whole host of armor thicknesses vs penetration, range...

But no one ever bought into it because it's too much to keep track of at meets. Everyone leans toward the simple 3 tank settings of Tamiya because otherwise it's herding cats.

My thoughts on 1/10. Sounds great as a concept, but think about moving it around. Furthermore, if you think it's hard to find people to battle with in 1/16, how will you find someone else in your area who has a $3000 1/10? I concur with sticking to 1/16 for convenience, or if you have deep pockets, go 1/6. At least then you can use DML figures and find groups that run them, especially in Europe.

I do like the Wittmann figure though. The photo of Wittmann really looks like Wittmann.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:48 AM
Max-U52

I already have too much invested in 1/16 to think about changing to 1/10, but some day I AM going to build a 1/6 scale Tiger One, just to drive around the yard. I suppose I could get a little pickup truck to haul it places. I saw one guy that had a mini van set up with fold down ramps at the back for transporting his. And yes, it will have a .75 caliber paintball cannon.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:49 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Looks it can differentiate between the hull and turret. They also have pre-built profiles for the tanks with their own "asset values".

http://www.battletrax.co.uk/asset.htm

I like their thought process on battles. They are going for realism, so you don't get 40kph King Tigers killing multiple tanks with a fan shot.

Still with the $500 pricetag, I'd rather just buy a Tamiya lol.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:20 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, Elmod already does all this and has for years. Like Jeff said, it's all novelty unless everyone is using it. The problem with the ELmod system is it's not entirely user friendly for say a 1st time tank builder as you have to cut and install receivers in the hull then program via usb to PC. Can be overwhelming to some so there goes the uniformity of an entire meet having them. It is also a bit more expensive than the Tammy electronics. Did I hear something about realism....? Trust me, none of us want realism in this hobby unless you want people complaining it's too difficult and too slow and they just want to have fun. Been there done that. You'd also limit the tanks you'd see on the battlefield, who the hell would run a sherman with those parameters? As old and antiquated some may think the Tamiya electronics are they still provide a great platform for IR battling that really anyone can setup and play as well as the clone boards that are catching up quickly. Not really trying to bash anyone's new system or product just my thoughts on
what I've seen over the years battling and setting up battle campaigns.

Last edited by TheBennyB; 07-28-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:25 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Yeah, this new one doesn't mention much about it's ease of use or installation.

They mention that it uses GPS to find the position of tanks, then how the hull/turret is oriented, and finally makes a dice roll for where you hit and/or pen the tank.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:44 AM
Max-U52

Even though I've gone to a lot of trouble to make my Imex Tiger Tamiya compatible, if I ever make it to Danville I'll be driving a completely stock-out-of-the-box Tamiya tank. Without even buying one I can already see that that's the best tank available for the unique battlefield at Danville, plastic tracks and all.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:52 AM
wright 971

Hi Guys the guy behind this is one of the original people who made Armortek (they split ) see here for there views http://www.uktank.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6710

some of them are not good .Don't rush in to buy wait and see .

regards pete
Old 07-28-2015, 12:20 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Yup, Elmod already does all this and has for years. Like Jeff said, it's all novelty unless everyone is using it. The problem with the ELmod system is it's not entirely user friendly for say a 1st time tank builder as you have to cut and install receivers in the hull then program via usb to PC. Can be overwhelming to some so there goes the uniformity of an entire meet having them. It is also a bit more expensive than the Tammy electronics. Did I hear something about realism....? Trust me, none of us want realism in this hobby unless you want people complaining it's too difficult and too slow and they just want to have fun. Been there done that. You'd also limit the tanks you'd see on the battlefield, who the hell would run a sherman with those parameters? As old and antiquated some may think the Tamiya electronics are they still provide a great platform for IR battling that really anyone can setup and play as well as the clone boards that are catching up quickly. Not really trying to bash anyone's new system or product just my thoughts on
what I've seen over the years battling and setting up battle campaigns.
Reminds me of board games too. My son and I play a lot of Axis and Allies (have a game going right now) which is a nice blend of realism, yet relatively simple to understand. Different ship, plane and infantry types and a simple GDP calculator. We've tried more complicated games (Third Reich, Luftwaffe) but you spend more time reading rules than playing, so simple usually is better. We can choose a quick game (1941) that'll be done in an hour or two or complex (1940 Global) that lasts for a month.

But when there's a crowd around, RISK comes out so everyone gets in on it.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:47 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been to the other side and back over this. Unless you want to spend all your time on the weekend getting everything lined up and "qualified" the Tamiya KISS system is good enough for what must people are looking for
Old 07-28-2015, 02:59 PM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by YHR
I have been to the other side and back over this. Unless you want to spend all your time on the weekend getting everything lined up and "qualified" the Tamiya KISS system is good enough for what must people are looking for
Hence my decision to purchase a Tamiya tank before I go to Danville. It's been proven, there's no question about compatibility, and in that unique setting it's thought by most to be the most likely to hold up. I'm thinking good ol' Tiger One. I'll be sure to post when I finally get around to buying it, and I know at least Ausf will get a smile out of the news.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:48 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Max-U52
I took a look at these guys, Mike, and my first problem is that a Tiger One will cost me well over $3,000.00 before it even gets to paint. Another thing I really didn't like is that they make it pretty clear that they want to see 1/10 scale REPLACE 1/16th scale. They have nice looking stuff but the cost is ridiculous. If I'm gonna spend anything even close to that kind of money I'll be going 1/6th scale.

On the other hand, their site did lead me to Brunel Models and I've already contacted them to see if they do anything in 1/16th scale buildings, or what I'm especially interested in, plans for those buildings. We'll see what they say.

I sense a great disturbance in the force... as if millions of voices cried out... "1/10 scale ....whaaaaaaaaaa?"

You know I can't say I'm sad to see a company focus on 1/10 scale... since I happen to agree it's a pretty nifty scale for tanks...I am rather disappointed they
chose a Tiger I as their first model though - Even in 1/10 scale there are/ have been a goodly number of those.

As to replacing 1/16 as the choice of the 'discerning' modeller, ha! Balderdash! when Bandai and Tamiya were releasing their respective initial 1/15 and 1/16 scale models
1/10 scale had been around a while so if anything 1/16 has already replaced 1/10 scale. Judging the comments here alone 1/10 scale won't be replacing anything soon;
unless they can offer something the other scale don't / can't offer. Replace 1/6 scale? again unlikely as 1/6 scale satisfies the innate 'mine's bigger than yours' mentaility
of many.

As evidenced by my collection of 1/10 scale models I'm a card carrying proponent of the scale. Sadly my self and quite a number of others have tried to get 1/10 to catch on
to no avail. Who knows maybe these guys are right for the times and finally 1/10 scale will take off like a stuck pig. Price invariably is the sticking point with 1/10. Either it's too expensive on it's own as judged by those who've only known 1/16 scale or not enough of a model cost wise compared to the 'next scale up'. 1/10 scale shouldn't be considered on a cost per pound basis- if it's what you like go for it...

So I'll be watching these guys, I also like the possibility of battleground 'accessories'; I'll be paying attention to this.

Jerry

Last edited by Tanque; 07-28-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:12 PM
Max-U52

I've been waiting for your opinion on this, Jerry (for those of you that don't know, Jerry is our resident expert on 1/10 scale and he's done some seriously cool things in that scale). You raised a couple points I didn't know or hadn't thought about, like 1/15 scale. But what I've really been waiting for your opinion on is - what do you think about his prices? Is that reasonable for what you get in 1/10? I guess the tell will be ... do you think you'll buy one of these tanks?

As for accessories, Simon at Brunel was very quick to respond when I inquired and was very genial so if there's something in particular you're looking for you may want to contact him. I got to him simply by visiting the original posted link and taking the link to Brunel.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:56 PM
Crisaman

Despite being too rich for my blood the price does not seem absurd. It's the same price of 1/16 Aero-Mate Tiger 1 and half the price of 1/6 Armortek Tiger1.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:41 PM
Tanque

Originally Posted by Max-U52
I've been waiting for your opinion on this, Jerry (for those of you that don't know, Jerry is our resident expert on 1/10 scale and he's done some seriously cool things in that scale). You raised a couple points I didn't know or hadn't thought about, like 1/15 scale. But what I've really been waiting for your opinion on is - what do you think about his prices? Is that reasonable for what you get in 1/10? I guess the tell will be ... do you think you'll buy one of these tanks?

As for accessories, Simon at Brunel was very quick to respond when I inquired and was very genial so if there's something in particular you're looking for you may want to contact him. I got to him simply by visiting the original posted link and taking the link to Brunel.
I don't think their price is out of line at all knowing what some of the other contenders Tigers cost when available or if they still are

SdKfz Modellbau's last Tiger I - electric sans controls of any type, 'in the white' 2500- 3000 € ( about 7-8 years ago)
Stehr's Tiger I - 19.990,00 € ( ) Current price
Seiki ( Japan ) last one was offered about 10 years ago - USD 10,000 ( but this was a gas powered model)
Nils Hermann's Tiger I ~3600 €
Geisswerks Tiger I trackset 1,240.00 € - just the tracks
Wecohe Tiger I ??? € - never saw a price

There are or have been others I'm overlooking I'm sure but these come to mind.

Given the small market share and following 1/10 scale has almost always been pricy; not happy about that but there it is.

Would I buy one? Maybe if I didn't have 4 Tigers and 1 Sturm Tiger already. My last Tiger was/is a custom set of parts that will blow the doors
off most others when complete and one of a kind, Hr Stehr is working on the turret for me but the bulk of the parts are just stunning. AND it's the only
early Tiger I I'll have. I bought 2 sets of Asiatam's really nice 1/10 steel ( yes you read it correctly steel ) tracks and sprockets to upgrade 2 of my running Tigers.

Moving 1/10 scale tanks isn't that bad, smaller ones aren't that much more than the largest 1/16 models but do weigh a lot more. I modified a mover's dolly,
the kind with carpet on them to move my heaviest models around the house. Loading 5 or 6 into my Explorer ( the most I can fit) is a workout I must say. My heaviest models
so far are my King Tigers weighing in around 90+ pounds. My lightest is my Hermann Panzer I.

I wish these guys a lot of success ( I've just written to them) and hopefully they will make a Comet, Crusader or Churchill; what would be really cool: a Bedford lorry...

Jerry
Old 07-28-2015, 09:26 PM
Tanque

This guy on ebay.de has the same/ similar dolly idea I use:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Top-Panzer-Pa...item35ee82950d

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.