Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

any USA stock for the KOMODO + units?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

any USA stock for the KOMODO + units?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 10:32 AM
watchguyusa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any USA stock for the KOMODO + units?

was wondering if anyone in the US stocks these anti track recoil units? or I have to order strait from RC of "down under" ? LOL

http://rctanksaustralia.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=259
Old 07-28-2015, 10:35 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

As far as I know RCTA is the only place to get them, but Kevin has free shipping on those and I usually get mine in about a week to ten days. I must have ten of them so far and they're pretty cool. I just ordered an Asp from Kevin, so you know I can't wait for that to get here.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:47 AM
watchguyusa

Originally Posted by Max-U52
As far as I know RCTA is the only place to get them, but Kevin has free shipping on those and I usually get mine in about a week to ten days. I must have ten of them so far and they're pretty cool. I just ordered an Asp from Kevin, so you know I can't wait for that to get here.
Hello there! I kinda figured you might answer my question! I have seen many of your cool video's!
Old 07-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Tanker 10

Don't tell him that, he'll get a big head.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:34 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Wait... He has free shipping on those? Welp, nothing stopping me from buying them now!

And I can't wait for your review of the Asp. It' looks like the perfect board for my Abrams.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:38 AM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by Tanker 10
Don't tell him that, he'll get a big head.
TOO LATE!!

I'm glad you like them, Watchguy.

And Chase, you and me both can't wait for that baby to get here!

And Abrams is one of the stock soundsets available for the Asp.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:54 AM
watchguyusa

TOO LATE!!

I'm glad you like them, Watchguy.

And Chase, you and me both can't wait for that baby to get here!

And Abrams is one of the stock soundsets available for the Asp.
LOl I went on your youtube page and you noticed you like put a new video like every 2 hours! LOL
Old 07-28-2015, 12:07 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Oh really, I got suckered into an Abrams by a friend, it wont remain stock so maybe an asp would fit. I dont know enough about them yet. Im still partial to the BARC series so far.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:16 PM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by watchguyusa
LOl I went on your youtube page and you noticed you like put a new video like every 2 hours! LOL
I tend to go in spurts. Much more in the summertime, and I usually record on the weekend but it takes so long to upload that I do them when I get around to it and that means they come out at weird intervals. I have about a dozen in line right now, just been too lazy to upload. I just like playin' with my tanks and taking videos of it. I'm hoping to get a Mobius soon and branch out into FPV. I think that will be a good time, and Erik almost has me convinced to get a quad and start taking aerial videos.

Rich, I thought with the BARC you could record any sounds you want to? I would've thought you'd have had Abrams sounds in that bad boy a long time ago. What am I missing? Anyway, you know I'll post when I get the Asp hooked up, so you can get whatever info you need. If I don't cover what you want to know just ask and I will. Hmmm, that's what she said. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyway, I think a lot of guys are waiting to see video of the Asp in the hands of a Gomer like me. There is a guy here on the forum that has one but he hasn't really provided any info (yet?).
Old 07-28-2015, 04:07 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OH yes, The TBS has a Good sounding Abrams file.

Lots of interest in the ASP, myself included. $179 for the IR version, but I really want to know how easy it is to configure and get running. At the end of the day it is not just cost but, performance and ease of use as well.

Re Anti recoil units

All electronic upgrades have a way of dealing with the HL recoil. IF you think somewhere down the road you want sound then you might not want too many of the partial boards that are available. From my own experience I have found that once you get a tank outfitted with all the bells and whistles it is hard to go back and run a stock tank, so all the stuff that gets you half way there ends up in drawer.

Clark, IBU2 , BARC and I imagine the ASP will all eliminate the recoil. At the end of the day It might be better just to put the money to a proper upgrade. Just something to consider
Old 07-28-2015, 04:47 PM
Max-U52

Sorry, Dan, but I have to correct you on this - the Asp I have coming ($149 retail) is completely IR capable. You just throw a switch to go back and forth from IR to airsoft. The Asp Plus ($174 retail) includes extra items to make a stock HL IR tank Tammy battle system compatible, like the LED flash ring for the apple and a servo to get rid of the HL recoil. With any of the other boards, like clark and IBU (not sure about BARC) you still have to do something about the HL apple. Most go with a Tamiya or an Impact, and some make the HL apple usable by installing the flash ring, and some go with the Hammerhead Unit from RCTA. The other boards (again, not sure about BARC) also require that you make changes and get extra stuff if you want servo recoil. The Asp Plus package adds those items so you really do get a tammy compatible battle system out of the box. I currently have an Impact in my IR T1 on the IBU, and I could swap my $149 Asp board for the IBU and be ready to go battle. The Impact will plug right in. Just one more reason I'm looking forward to it's arrival, so we can get the deal from someone that doesn't have a vested interest in the board and find out what it really does. In fact, just as a kind of public service, I might plug the Asp into the IR T1 with the Impact and take it to an event to see how it does in IR mode. Do you think guys would want to see the results of that?

Edit - As for anti recoil, I'm finding things about the Clark that I really like and I plan to do a video when I get the chance. Stay tuned.

But, I don't think the Komodo will ever be a waste of money and I can't see it sitting in a drawer for long. It's the fastest way to get rid of track recoil and for twenty bucks I think it's a good deal. It's great for stock airsoft tanks and most of mine have one, and the ones that don't soon will. When those tanks go on better boards the Komodo will get a hand me down trip to the next airsoft tank, until it gets a good board. And they're always good units for trade. The guys that are strictly IR won't have as much use for them, but I consider them a must for any airsoft tank that runs on stock HL or TG electronics. Have you tried one, Dan? If not, PM me your address and I'll send you one for free to play with. With all those HL tanks you must have a Pershing in there somewhere, right?

Last edited by Max-U52; 07-28-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:57 PM
Phyrephysh

I really should visit forums more.

The old track recoil blocking thing is a good example of how you think something may be obsolete but then it just might not be. Though I appreciate all the talk about the Komodo+...IF you are JUST running Airsoft then you could consider my very first board the good old ATRC which is cheaper and you can't kill it with a rock. But let's have a look at what these units do. All they do is trigger a relay to open (or close) after a switch contacts ground. As such they can be reused to suit other tasks whereby you wish a switch activated. For example the microswitch on the back of the gun unit is pretty much always going to be there. You can use a Komodo+ or ATRC to turn on/off a valve to allow smoke up and into the gun barrel for example. All you need to do is be creative and understand how these units operate. Further something like a Komodo can always have software rewritten to serve a different function.

As for ASP if you all really want to know why the first lot sold out so fast - I kept them - I tossed out all the EL Mods and SGS boards I had and replaced with Asps. Why? because they are just so darn simple to setup for IR. As for airsoft - normally I toss airsoft out right away BUT I've fallen in love with Airsoft again thanks to Asp cos (I think) it does it right.

However, Asp wont suit everyone as it needs an 8 channel fully programmable radio with LOTS of switches. So either you have such a radio and know how to use it OR you use a 9X/Taranis series and copy the Asp settings to the radio. Many functions such as momentum, speed, sensitivity, servo control are all handled by the radio. To me this is sensible as that is what you have in your hand. You can make adjustments on the fly rather than having to stop and open up your tank and poke around inside. Other than that is has all the same connectors as in a Heng Long or Taigen tank. Asp was designed from the start to be as plug and play as possible.

BTW to the guys that live in Florida that have just ordered Komodo+s they are sitting right here and about to be put into envelopes and will be on the way in about 3 hours. I just may be in the Sunshine State come December so If any tank clubs in Florida want to have look at any RCTA products around Xmas time shot me an email.

Cheers
Kevin G
Old 07-28-2015, 06:25 PM
watchguyusa

Originally Posted by Phyrephysh
BTW to the guys that live in Florida that have just ordered Komodo+s they are sitting right here and about to be put into envelopes and will be on the way in about 3 hours. I just may be in the Sunshine State come December so If any tank clubs in Florida want to have look at any RCTA products around Xmas time shot me an email.

Cheers
Kevin G
Hi Kevin ! One of those komodos hopefully is coming to me in Boca raton ? Lol I ordered this afternoon!

Wow your fast! Thanks!

Duane
Old 07-28-2015, 06:40 PM
watchguyusa

Oh BTW the komodo can be used on a taigen 2.4ghz motherboard ?
Old 07-28-2015, 06:42 PM
Phyrephysh

Hi Duane, yep sure is, one for Boca and 2 for Miami. I know Oz is quite away away but with the time difference - I'm working when you guys aren't working and working on your tanks. So real time support is very easy. It is very likely that you order will actually be in the US by the weekend. However, how long US customs will take and then the postal service is the unknown.

Cheers
KG
Old 07-28-2015, 06:46 PM
Phyrephysh

yes - Komodo+ can be used with HL RX-18, HL 2.4gHz & Taigen 2.4gHz
Old 07-28-2015, 06:46 PM
watchguyusa

..great!!!
Old 07-28-2015, 07:18 PM
YHR

The BARC has plug and play compatibility with a Tamiya or an Impact apple, has servo recoil, momentum blocking and adds momentum to smooth out the RX 18 both on acceleration and deceleration. Has complete Tamiya IR and of course later if you want to add sound it is $140 for the Benedini. My opinion has always been you can get a BARC 3 for $70 that does all of this and can be expanded to add sound when you want, It does not dead end you. The other RCTA stuff was an exercise of adding together all kinds of modules and then at the end you still didn't have sound. The ASP is a new approach, and I will be the first to say well done if it delivers as a full feature board.. RCTA is also going down the road of battle feedback and scoring which is real hidden gem that sets it apart from the rest.

The Clark and IBU also have servo recoil out of the gate and the Clark can be fitted to the Tamiya as well There is nothing extra to buy with a Clark or an IBU except the cable.

I am looking forward to your review especially about your thoughts on the radio programming that goes along with the ASP. I would like to know if you think it is a simple task or a complex one. Ultimately that is a very important reality for guys that are not into programming

EDIT

Kevin has responded and has clarified the Radio interaction to some degree. I do agree that a programmable radio is powerful and can do a lot of things In the hands of someone who knows what they are doing, you hardly need a tank control board.. The issue will be, how does this programming sit with the guys where this is not their strength, and Kevin is being open about this fact. It might not be everyones kettle of fish

Last edited by YHR; 07-28-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:09 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Anh, 8 channel radio, I think I will pass. I have the barc4 figured out and getting my first bendini unit.
After I pickup the abrams, I will mess around with it a bit and then think about maybe a barc/bendini if dan can get a turbine sound.
Meanwhile, I got a bunch O shermans to build.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:51 AM
Max-U52

One of the great things about tankER9X is the templates. I know how to flash new firmware into my radio and from there I can just set it to the proper template for the Asp and get all the basic functions. Fine tuning may be another story, but I'm confident I won't have any trouble with initial set-up. Yes, I'm one of those guys that has trouble with radio programming, so if I can do it, anyone else should be able to handle it with no trouble. I think it's always been clear that the 9X is the preferred radio for most of the RCTA stuff.

Dan, you say there's nothing else to buy except the cable for recoil and that may be true with Tamiya, but if you want servo recoil in a TG or HL tank you at least also have to buy the servo. And without a tammy apple you need the flash ring to battle with most clubs. That's what the Asp Plus package does. It includes those items with the board. With my IR T1, already set up for Tamiya compatibility with the IBU2, all I'll have to do is change from the IBU to the Asp and I'll be ready to go. I chose not to go with servo recoil (the asiatam unit works fine for me) and I have an Impact installed, so I don't need the extra pieces in the Asp Plus package and that's why I went with the regular Asp. And obviously you don't need a servo or flash ring for an airsoft tank, so the tank it's intended for (the S33) won't need the extra bits either.

And for those that don't already have an 8 ch TX, Kevin can sell you a 9XR that will arrive completely set up and ready to go.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:59 AM
YHR

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
Anh, 8 channel radio, I think I will pass. I have the barc4 figured out and getting my first bendini unit.
After I pickup the abrams, I will mess around with it a bit and then think about maybe a barc/bendini if dan can get a turbine sound.
Meanwhile, I got a bunch O shermans to build.
The TBS has had a turbine sound set for years so that is no issue. I have video posted of it in an Abrams.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:13 AM
YHR

One of the great things about tankER9X is the templates. I know how to flash new firmware into my radio and from there I can just set it to the proper template for the Asp and get all the basic functions. Fine tuning may be another story, but I'm confident I won't have any trouble with initial set-up. Yes, I'm one of those guys that has trouble with radio programming, so if I can do it, anyone else should be able to handle it with no trouble. I think it's always been clear that the 9X is the preferred radio for most of the RCTA stuff.

Dan, you say there's nothing else to buy except the cable for recoil and that may be true with Tamiya, but if you want servo recoil in a TG or HL tank you at least also have to buy the servo. And without a tammy apple you need the flash ring to battle with most clubs. That's what the Asp Plus package does. It includes those items with the board. With my IR T1, already set up for Tamiya compatibility with the IBU2, all I'll have to do is change from the IBU to the Asp and I'll be ready to go. I chose not to go with servo recoil (the asiatam unit works fine for me) and I have an Impact installed, so I don't need the extra pieces in the Asp Plus package and that's why I went with the regular Asp. And obviously you don't need a servo or flash ring for an airsoft tank, so the tank it's intended for (the S33) won't need the extra bits either.

And for those that don't already have an 8 ch TX, Kevin can sell you a 9XR that will arrive completely set up and ready to go.
Understood. I quoted the plus price in an effort to compare apples to apples. The ibu comes with an led ring doesn't it?

Yes you do need to buy a servo for recoil on all the boards available. Nobody includes it as far as I know.

Kevin is a one man show and from what I understand gives excellent after sales support. When it comes to these systems that is essential. He is passionate about what he sells, and when dealing with him you are talking to the designer.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:08 AM
robertalan51

Default How can I buy a couple of these anti recoil units from Kevin?

Hi, How can I purchase a couple of these cool anti recoil units from Kevin? Thanks, Rob
Old 07-29-2015, 08:43 AM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by robertalan51
Hi, How can I purchase a couple of these cool anti recoil units from Kevin? Thanks, Rob
Right here

Dan, no LED ring with the IBU.

Kevin is great to work with, is one of the smartest guys I've ever met and knows more about IR tech than anyone I know.

He hasn't yet shipped my Asp so I'm thinking about getting the 9XPro. What do you guys think? Get the whole package programmed and ready to go?
Old 07-29-2015, 08:55 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Right here

Dan, no LED ring with the IBU.

Kevin is great to work with, is one of the smartest guys I've ever met and knows more about IR tech than anyone I know.

He hasn't yet shipped my Asp so I'm thinking about getting the 9XPro. What do you guys think? Get the whole package programmed and ready to go?
The 9x comes already programmed? Something else I didn't know. That might justify spending that much on a radio.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.