Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Heng Long M1A2 Abrams

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 08:23 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think we are talking elevation here, not rotation, so having the elevation on a rotating knob is fine. I set up all my tanks with the HK T6A this way. In IR battling, elevation doesn't play a big part in the battle unless you are on a really hilly battlefield. The shotgun effect of the IR beam kind of covers the elevation thing for you.

Also once you know your Clark is working, you can reassign servo channels. That is what I did, and I got the basic function set up just like a Heng Long, so I imagine you could do the same. The stock Clark set up is unmanageable in my opinion.

I think Strato claims to be a Clark wizard so maybe he has some info on getting the radio set up so you can run your tank more intuitively.

Last edited by YHR; 09-16-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:41 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

**POOF** A wild Tank Wizard appears*

I heard my name, hello!

Concerning the elevation control wizardry I may have recently come up with a solution that might just work well for you. I have the new DX6 and with some mixing was able to change some functions to work a bit more smoothly.

I wish my radio(s) had a control knob as it would make tanking a breeze, I just never pulled the trigger to switch all my tanks away from Spektrum to some other form factor, so I tried this.

I mixed one of the left-hand switches on the DX6 into 2 new mixes. First basically was FULL UP on throttle, thereby firing the main gun. Second was FULL DOWN and FULL RIGHT on rudder, to fire the machine gun. Test the swtich, up is Cannon, Down is now MG, middle is neutral so nothing.. golden.

Next big trick was adjusting my THROTTLE travel end point to eliminate the Cannon firing from the left stick. Trial and error this until it works... eventually you'll get to a point where full UP on the stick no longer fires the gun... low and behold it will now control ELEVATION when you move it full left or right... bam no more fiddling around with your radio trying to find that sweet spot for gun elevation, woohoo!

Now it will take some adjusting and changing of the % in the different mixes to get this to work on every tank, and I will edit this post to show exactly what needs to be done when I have my radio... which is at home right now where I am not.

Lastly I did wire in 2 simple push button switches directly to the 3 posts on the switch I had attached the mixes to! I double checked where to solder with my meter, so now I have a button for MG and Cannon
Old 09-17-2015, 03:58 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YHR
I think we are talking elevation here, not rotation, so having the elevation on a rotating knob is fine. I set up all my tanks with the HK T6A this way. In IR battling, elevation doesn't play a big part in the battle unless you are on a really hilly battlefield. The shotgun effect of the IR beam kind of covers the elevation thing for you.

Also once you know your Clark is working, you can reassign servo channels. That is what I did, and I got the basic function set up just like a Heng Long, so I imagine you could do the same. The stock Clark set up is unmanageable in my opinion.

I think Strato claims to be a Clark wizard so maybe he has some info on getting the radio set up so you can run your tank more intuitively.
Yes Dan, but how can you traverse if your messing with a knob to elevate? Elevation is used all the time at Danville for hull defense, so having to take your thumb off of a control stick is a disadvantage. Like driving with one hand on a manual transmisson.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:55 AM
dlobmwm3
My Feedback: (2)

Only the skilled can multi-task...
Old 09-17-2015, 05:09 AM
YHR

Yes if you are at a field where you are messing with the elevation a lot, I can see where this might be a disadvantage. However once you get used to it, it is not that much of a handicap. On a medium you have 5 seconds to dial in the elevation, before firing the next shot.

Strato

You need to try a radio with trimming knob. HK, less then $40 will get you one. The receivers are less then $10 as an added bonus.

Cheers
Old 09-17-2015, 06:38 AM
dlobmwm3

Originally Posted by Strato50
**POOF** A wild Tank Wizard appears*

I heard my name, hello!

Concerning the elevation control wizardry I may have recently come up with a solution that might just work well for you. I have the new DX6 and with some mixing was able to change some functions to work a bit more smoothly.

I wish my radio(s) had a control knob as it would make tanking a breeze, I just never pulled the trigger to switch all my tanks away from Spektrum to some other form factor, so I tried this.

I mixed one of the left-hand switches on the DX6 into 2 new mixes. First basically was FULL UP on throttle, thereby firing the main gun. Second was FULL DOWN and FULL RIGHT on rudder, to fire the machine gun. Test the swtich, up is Cannon, Down is now MG, middle is neutral so nothing.. golden.

Next big trick was adjusting my THROTTLE travel end point to eliminate the Cannon firing from the left stick. Trial and error this until it works... eventually you'll get to a point where full UP on the stick no longer fires the gun... low and behold it will now control ELEVATION when you move it full left or right... bam no more fiddling around with your radio trying to find that sweet spot for gun elevation, woohoo!

Now it will take some adjusting and changing of the % in the different mixes to get this to work on every tank, and I will edit this post to show exactly what needs to be done when I have my radio... which is at home right now where I am not.

Lastly I did wire in 2 simple push button switches directly to the 3 posts on the switch I had attached the mixes to! I double checked where to solder with my meter, so now I have a button for MG and Cannon
LOL Strato. **** Poof ***

Where did you go now!?? I would be interested in how you have this setup sir! I have it working on the DX7 and can share that with anyone on here as well.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:40 AM
dlobmwm3

Originally Posted by YHR
Yes if you are at a field where you are messing with the elevation a lot, I can see where this might be a disadvantage. However once you get used to it, it is not that much of a handicap. On a medium you have 5 seconds to dial in the elevation, before firing the next shot.

Strato

You need to try a radio with trimming knob. HK, less then $40 will get you one. The receivers are less then $10 as an added bonus.

Cheers
I will look into this but I already pulled the trigger on the DX7 as all I have had are Spektrum radios. Can you share with us on your settings on the radio? Is it mode 2 where the throttle is on the right side? Also is the left stick centered out of the box for the HK radio?
Old 09-17-2015, 08:45 AM
Strato50

Hope this helps! :P

Old 09-17-2015, 09:36 AM
Shorty54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is good info. I will try on my older DX6i. Dan do you think this is possible with the HKT6? It would be nice to run all my Clarks this way.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:48 PM
YHR

The T6A has the ability to be any mode you want. When you are in the programming mode you just select what you want. You can buy a self centering hardware for about $8.00 so it so is quite easy to get both sticks self centering.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:15 AM
Shorty54

Sorry Dan, I know I can center both sticks, I use 8mm styrene, (where do you get the $8 kits from?) and I know how to change V1 V2, BUT I was wondering if the T6 could be programmed to run the Clark boards like Strato did with the spectrum. It would be nice to avoid the 75% up and over, down and over monkey business. Hey is this the last day of work for you?
Old 09-18-2015, 05:27 AM
Strato50

I'm not sure but I don't think you can program this quite the same way on a DX6i... AFAIK they lack the handy 3 position switch that makes it possible.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:31 AM
Shorty54

Originally Posted by Strato50
I'm not sure but I don't think you can program this quite the same way on a DX6i... AFAIK they lack the handy 3 position switch that makes it possible.
What! You're going to burst my bubble on a Friday morning, I hope you're wrong, lol. There has to be a way, there just does.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:24 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is why i like my skysports. I just add a firing button for the main gun and mg. I use my left stick for all the travel functions and right for the turret work. keeps everything more simple for me that way. just makes fan shots very difficult but I hate those anyway.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:51 PM
Strato50

Yea we don't do fan shots here :P
Old 09-18-2015, 07:49 PM
YHR

Originally Posted by Shorty54
Sorry Dan, I know I can center both sticks, I use 8mm styrene, (where do you get the $8 kits from?) and I know how to change V1 V2, BUT I was wondering if the T6 could be programmed to run the Clark boards like Strato did with the spectrum. It would be nice to avoid the 75% up and over, down and over monkey business. Hey is this the last day of work for you?
I will try and find the link for the spring kits.

Retirement starts today. Just my luck I no sooner got home and I can feel a cold coming on
Old 09-19-2015, 05:13 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by YHR
I will try and find the link for the spring kits.

Retirement starts today. Just my luck I no sooner got home and I can feel a cold coming on
CONGRATS!! I hope its a great one my friend. My newest radio should be here today, it even comes with an extra self centering stick 10ch Sbus with 3ms response times....