Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

ACE/AAF Danville R/C tank event. Sept. 18-20 2015!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

ACE/AAF Danville R/C tank event. Sept. 18-20 2015!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 07:26 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Max-U52
I like trucks too, so if you get lots of photos and videos of them I'll be a happy camper.
Gary, you can subscribe to his youtube channel an get to his site via our club site.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CustomRCmodels
Old 08-27-2015, 08:07 AM
Rustytrax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Finally planning a visit to go down to Danville to see the museum and watch some tank battles this September weekend.

Any suggestions on whether the Red Carpet Inn, right there close by the museum on 29, is safe enough and OK for a one night stay???

Or, just looking at Google maps and images, maybe it's just called the Danville Inn now and not Red Carpet, or was the Danville Inn and is now Red Carpet

~ Craig ~
'

You should bring that Tiger turm for the defend the base battles.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:31 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

Thanks for the responses Dave and Brett, but I have to try to find a place that doesn't hit the wallet as hard as the Comfort prices would, unless that museum discount is around 50%+ off from the listed $99 rates I'm seeing for a double room for a night, otherwise it just wouldn't be in my cards for this trip.

Though I have decided to stay away from the Red Carpet Inn with all the extremely negative reviews it has gotten from various sites I've visited to look for a booking, and will probably head further south/west on 29, down to the Economy Inn at 3050 West Main Street, Danville, instead. Don't need anything fancy, just beds for the night, and the place gets fairly acceptable reviews for only $44.51 for the Friday night we expect to stay there . . . better for my small $ budget.

Hey Rusty, I would love to bring either or both my KV1 and Tigerturm too, but I really didn't plan to actually partake in any battle activities this trip . . . just take in the museum sights, watch the tank battles, maybe meet a bunch of the tankers who frequent the RCU forums here, and finally get to see their awesome tanks and RC creations in action in person.

I'll also be accompanied by my 22 year old nephew on this trip too, who is more into console gaming than RC, and doesn't really watch WWII movies at all either, but still seemed very excited about visiting the tank museum and watching the RC battles too. Guess I'll find out if the excitement holds up come September 18th !

At least one thing sure is lucky for me though, I have some great friends living in Myrtle Beach who always open their hearts and home up to their friends, located 1 block from the beach, where you can see the beach looking from their deck. Since I haven't had any vacation or even a day or two trip since 2008 (when I last visited my Myrtle Beach friends too), and with some tragic family issues this year, I finally decided a trip of some kind was dearly needed whether I could really afford it or not, and the Danville event coinciding with a Myrtle Beach visit seemed like a nice way for the both of us to hopefully recharge and find a little relief from life's recent calamities.

So right now the plan is for us to get there Friday in time to take in some of the day's scheduled activities and the museum, stay over night, and possibly take in most of Saturday's events too. Then off to Myrtle Beach Saturday evening to stay for a week with my awesome friends.

~ Craig ~

Last edited by B.A.D.A.S.S.Force; 08-27-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:19 AM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by B.A.D.A.S.S.Force
Thanks for the responses Dave and Brett, but I have to try to find a place that doesn't hit the wallet as hard as the Comfort prices would, unless that museum discount is around 50%+ off from the listed $99 rates I'm seeing for a double room for a night, otherwise it just wouldn't be in my cards for this trip.

Though I have decided to stay away from the Red Carpet Inn with all the extremely negative reviews it has gotten from various sites I've visited to look for a booking, and will probably head further south/west on 29, down to the Economy Inn at 3050 West Main Street, Danville, instead. Don't need anything fancy, just beds for the night, and the place gets fairly acceptable reviews for only $44.51 for the Friday night we expect to stay there . . . better for my small $ budget.

Hey Rusty, I would love to bring either or both my KV1 and Tigerturm too, but I really didn't plan to actually partake in any battle activities this trip . . . just take in the museum sights, watch the tank battles, maybe meet a bunch of the tankers who frequent the RCU forums here, and finally get to see their awesome tanks and RC creations in action in person.

I'll also be accompanied by my 22 year old nephew on this trip too, who is more into console gaming than RC, and doesn't really watch WWII movies at all either, but still seemed very excited about visiting the tank museum and watching the RC battles too. Guess I'll find out if the excitement holds up come September 18th !

At least one thing sure is lucky for me though, I have some great friends living in Myrtle Beach who always open their hearts and home up to their friends, located 1 block from the beach, where you can see the beach looking from their deck. Since I haven't had any vacation or even a day or two trip since 2008 (when I last visited my Myrtle Beach friends too), and with some tragic family issues this year, I finally decided a trip of some kind was dearly needed whether I could really afford it or not, and the Danville event coinciding with a Myrtle Beach visit seemed like a nice way for the both of us to hopefully recharge and find a little relief from life's recent calamities.

So right now the plan is for us to get there Friday in time to take in some of the day's scheduled activities and the museum, stay over night, and possibly take in most of Saturday's events too. Then off to Myrtle Beach Saturday evening to stay for a week with my awesome friends.

~ Craig ~
Sounds like an awesome trip Craig. As always there are gracious tankers that usually have a spare tank to battle, so if you or your nephew just can't resist shooting at someone we'll get you on the field.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:47 AM
Green Amphibian

My wallet asks me to stay at the Innkeeper, 1030 Piney Forest Rd. 434 836-1700. I have personally never had any problems there. Talk or ask for Dave and tell him you are there for the tank museum battles.

Herman
Old 08-28-2015, 12:52 PM
thecommander

Well I am glad to see you are finally going to take us up on the invitations and come down Craig.

You were off or very quiet on RCU for over a year. Please see me when you get there and I will let you try battling with some of my tanks...Bring whatever tanks you have even if they are not compatible with Tamiya. We often let people run whatever they have in between the regular battles...just sign in as a RC tanker for the day. We enter thru the gate to the far left and the go to the garage door on the south side of the building. The glass front doors open much later for the public. The see thru gate at the door may be locked. Just give us a shout inside. It will be great to finally meet you after all these years of talking on RCU.

Just come and have fun. The Budget Inn on Rt 29 south is around $40 and the Inn Keeper around $50. Like Herman said make sure to mention the AAF Tank Mus discount. Bob Held

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	silver webbie old and UK 3-11 238.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	2117055   Click image for larger version

Name:	silver webbie old and UK 3-11 235.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	2117056  

Last edited by thecommander; 08-28-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:08 PM
TheBennyB

Thanks for the pics Bob, great for 1st timers.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:13 AM
Rustytrax

I may be a little late on Friday since I'll be leaving in the AM instead of Thursday night.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:31 AM
DaveBcool

We completed regular field maintenance this past weekend, and all is ready to go.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:36 AM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by DaveBcool
We completed regular field maintenance this past weekend, and all is ready to go.
Awesome! Wish I lived bit closer to help out on work days.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:20 AM
DaveBcool

Personally, I love doing it. It's like playing in a giant sandbox.
Plus, you get to manipulate the playing field.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:00 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Hey guys, what is the November battle days? (sorry Herman, I wrote them down but I cant find them under my mess of stuff on my desk!) I'm trying to see if we have some free time in Nov for the bossman and I to come up and say hi. I know we have two events in Nov and bossman has an overseas trip too, but we might if all goes well be able to make a battle
Old 09-10-2015, 12:46 PM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Hey guys, what is the November battle days? (sorry Herman, I wrote them down but I cant find them under my mess of stuff on my desk!) I'm trying to see if we have some free time in Nov for the bossman and I to come up and say hi. I know we have two events in Nov and bossman has an overseas trip too, but we might if all goes well be able to make a battle
Nov 6-8. You can find the dates of all events on the AAF tank musuem site as well as our club site and the HEAT armor club site.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:54 PM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by DaveBcool
Personally, I love doing it. It's like playing in a giant sandbox.
Plus, you get to manipulate the playing field.
yea yea Dave, can't fool me. Know your out there with your laser pointer checking firing positons!
Old 09-11-2015, 12:11 PM
TheBennyB

7 days out tankers!! Get those hotel reservations and gearboxes lubed if you haven't done so. Looking forward to a fantastic event with new and old friends.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:41 AM
Rustytrax

Finished up the JP and boxed her up.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:53 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

Thanks Bret, Herman, and Bob for the suggestions earlier, until today I still wasn't 100% sure I was going to be able to make this vacation, but things kind of worked out OK enough for me to take it.

So I just managed today to call and book a room at the Innkeeper North as you suggested Herman, unfortunately Dave wasn't there to barter with him for the best AAF room discount rates as you suggested, and I was originally told the rates were $63+ . . . though after mentioning Dave's name and how he had offered discounted rooms close to $50 for some of you going to the museum, I did manage to get a double bed room for just a wee bit north of $50 for Friday night from someone named Stephan or Steven anyway ... good enough for me!

Never made the trip, but it seems to be in the 4.5 - 5 hour drive time from me here in Sellersville. Since check-in isn't till noon, I'm going to try to time our drive down Friday to maybe have time to get a bite for breakfast first, and then just go directly to the museum for opening.

We'll see how it goes, but either way, I do intend to be there sometime in the morning Friday, and then come back for Saturday's events too.

~ Craig ~
Old 09-15-2015, 03:45 AM
TheBennyB

Craig, I'd say your looking at more of a 7hr trip. Takes me 6+ and I'm a bit south of you by the PA/MD/DE borders.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:38 AM
Rustytrax

Since you are over by 95 I'll warn of the DC-Fredricksburg traffic nightmare. Sometimes I get off 495-95 and take Rt 1 through there. Anyway you slice it that section just plain sucks.
You might consider 95 to 495 to 66 to 29. 29 flows well and takes you right into 29/55 which passes the museum.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:48 AM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by Rustytrax
Since you are over by 95 I'll warn of the DC-Fredricksburg traffic nightmare. Sometimes I get off 495-95 and take Rt 1 through there. Anyway you slice it that section just plain sucks.
You might consider 95 to 495 to 66 to 29. 29 flows well and takes you right into 29/55 which passes the museum.
Yea, I don't even consider the 95 corridor between DC and Richmond unless it's late at night. I take 495W to 66W to 29S. You'll still hit traffic on 66W if your anywhere near rush hour 4-7.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:58 AM
Rustytrax

Debating if i want to fix the Jumbo gearbox or just leave it home. It's the easy one on the right side.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:22 PM
sergeantseabass

Well looks like I won't be able to make this one. i was planning on it but the wife has an interview on Friday in Philly and has to stay the over the weekend. So I'll be watching the kid. Curse my luck.

Bill
Old 09-15-2015, 05:43 PM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by sergeantseabass
Well looks like I won't be able to make this one. i was planning on it but the wife has an interview on Friday in Philly and has to stay the over the weekend. So I'll be watching the kid. Curse my luck.

Bill
Sorry you can't make it Bill. Hope to catch up with ya next time I'm down, probably next spring.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:20 AM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Craig, I'd say your looking at more of a 7hr trip. Takes me 6+ and I'm a bit south of you by the PA/MD/DE borders.
I might have been thinking about the drive time for the secondary part of the trip from Danville to Myrtle Beach earlier, lol, so yes, after looking at the route again it does look like at least 6.5 - 7 hours from home to the museum. ;^)

I'll probably be leaving sometime around 1:00 a.m. Friday morning . . . or at least there about anyway, so a majority of the trip should be fairly smooth, at least I'm hoping it will be.

Thanks too for the heads-up route suggestions everyone, but traffic doesn't necessarily worry me very much for the trip down since it's not imperative we get there at any specific earlier time as we won't actually be participating in any battle events, just watching them. Though it's coming back at the end of our trip that has me really thinking of alternative routes because Pope Francis' will still be visiting in Philadelphia the day we return on Sunday 27th . . . and I'm sure traffic will be a nightmare anywhere close to it throughout that entire weekend and into Monday!

~ Craig ~
Old 09-16-2015, 06:13 AM
thecommander

Originally Posted by B.A.D.A.S.S.Force
I might have been thinking about the drive time for the secondary part of the trip from Danville to Myrtle Beach earlier, lol, so yes, after looking at the route again it does look like at least 6.5 - 7 hours from home to the museum. ;^)

I'll probably be leaving sometime around 1:00 a.m. Friday morning . . . or at least there about anyway, so a majority of the trip should be fairly smooth, at least I'm hoping it will be.

Thanks too for the heads-up route suggestions everyone, but traffic doesn't necessarily worry me very much for the trip down since it's not imperative we get there at any specific earlier time as we won't actually be participating in any battle events, just watching them. Though it's coming back at the end of our trip that has me really thinking of alternative routes because Pope Francis' will still be visiting in Philadelphia the day we return on Sunday 27th . . . and I'm sure traffic will be a nightmare anywhere close to it throughout that entire weekend and into Monday!

~ Craig ~
Hi Craig,

There is now way you can come that far and NOT participate. Like said in the PMs I sent you...just come to Danville. You can try one of my tanks. I bring more than one...LOL. Many others are equally as generous. I am just glad to finally meet you and share the hobby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.