Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Sound Deadening an RC Tank

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Sound Deadening an RC Tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 02:24 PM
R|M|D Photography

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound Deadening an RC Tank

So in one of Gary's threads someone brought up a question of how to quiet down a tank that was really loud from his gearbox. Well it got me thinking, I used to many many year ago install car audio and we used a sound deadening material called Dynamat to get rid of rattles and vibration noises and resonance from customers cars. It is a sheet material with a foil back and consists of a kinda tar like rubbery mat. It can be purchased online or any place like Best Buy that installs car audio. I had a friends that had some extra that gave me some and I figured I would give it a shot. The difference was not night and day or anything but it was definitely noticeable, though I am not sure how it will come through over the lil cheapy Nikon P4 point and shoot I was filming with. I am anxious to do it on my other tanks, especially the Jagdpanther as the noise really seems to echo a lot in that big open hull. I would really love to hear this with a good sound board and speaker combination like some of you have!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbVw9HNU82I https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXFp3E64IT4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gvug4Hhq8U
Old 08-16-2015, 02:46 PM
mcm308

That's a very interesting idea! I may try it. I have a roll of material. And yes.. I can be an audiophile and love my car audio. Ive done an install on every vehicle I have owned with top shelf gear ...except my latest one...i guess I'm getting old...lmao
Old 08-16-2015, 02:48 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Lightbulb RE: Sound Deadening an RC Tank

How about just fixing the source of the problem instead of turning up the radio?

A noisy gearbox means there is a problem, addressing that issue means longer gearbox life, better battery performance and lowering the cringe factor in your videos... which just about every Heng Long tank has. They are NOISY.

Jeff
Old 08-16-2015, 02:56 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

I fit a 3mm thick plasticard bulkhead between the gearboxes and the rest of the hull and that reduces flex in the hull, it prevents gearbox lubricant getting thrown over the electrics and it restricts the noises from the gearbox,
It is an easy fix and if you use plastic channel glued each side of the hull to hold the bulkhead (I use the radio aerial channel cut to size that comes with the HENG LONG Panzer 4) it becomes easily removable. shaun
Old 08-16-2015, 03:11 PM
R|M|D Photography

Originally Posted by Panther F
How about just fixing the source of the problem instead of turning up the radio?

A noisy gearbox means there is a problem, addressing that issue means longer gearbox life, better battery performance and lowering the cringe factor in your videos... which just about every Heng Long tank has. They are NOISY.

Jeff
My Taigen tanks are actually fairly quiet in the gearboxes, when I have them out of the tank and free spin them you can hardly hear them. Short of changing them out to the bearing version or as some think that everyone should do and just buy a Tamiya, I think they are about as quiet as they get. But you can still hear them a bit. After the dynamat was put in I can't hear them at all, just the tracks moving. Now my Heng Long Pershing is very loud! It got a lot better after I did the break in, but they are just crap pot metal gears and there is a lot of play in them. Sure it could be shimmed and maybe make it a bit better, but as bad as they are I would probably just upgrade them at some point.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:56 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by R|M|D Photography
My Taigen tanks are actually fairly quiet in the gearboxes, when I have them out of the tank and free spin them you can hardly hear them. Short of changing them out to the bearing version or as some think that everyone should do and just buy a Tamiya, I think they are about as quiet as they get. But you can still hear them a bit. After the dynamat was put in I can't hear them at all, just the tracks moving. Now my Heng Long Pershing is very loud! It got a lot better after I did the break in, but they are just crap pot metal gears and there is a lot of play in them. Sure it could be shimmed and maybe make it a bit better, but as bad as they are I would probably just upgrade them at some point.

I never mentioned anything about Tamiya... YOU did. I just commented on FIXING the problem (like a real RC tanker would), not slandering a brand or starting a troll war.

Jeff
Old 08-16-2015, 03:57 PM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Or maybe they could just start making the brass gearboxes again instead of wasting all this time on steel. I just found two sets of dual ratio brass gearboxes and didn't hesitate one second to snatch them up. The tank that started all this was my Jagdpanther when someone said they were surprised at how quiet they are when heard through the Mobius, and that tank has brass gearboxes.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:21 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

It was me the one that wanted to quiet the gearboxes. But as I said, my steel gearboxes are quite silent when I run them on my hand or over soft places, like a sofa or a bed. The loud comes when I place them inside the tank. Im going to try puting some rubber between the gearboxes and the tank.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:23 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Max-U52
Or maybe they could just start making the brass gearboxes again instead of wasting all this time on steel. I just found two sets of dual ratio brass gearboxes and didn't hesitate one second to snatch them up. The tank that started all this was my Jagdpanther when someone said they were surprised at how quiet they are when heard through the Mobius, and that tank has brass gearboxes.
I don't think anyone's wasting time with steel gearboxes, I've not heard of any stripping since they were released but with the brass gear boxes this seemed to happen more often.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:40 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry I never watched the videos yet. Did you mount the boxes on this stuff as a cushion or did you just surround the gearbox area with this sound deadening material? I am thinking as an insulation between the gear box and the plastic hull it should have a good effect..

My favorite gear towers are the Mato 2.0, but they are tall and will not work with the Stugs. For those I have used the( Asiatam, Like Gary picked up) or Mato Version 1. I have also been very impressed with the all steel bearinged up boxes. I have only got my hands on the 3 shaft version, but would like to try the four shaft in my Tiger.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:41 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they are that loud then they probably need to be oiled and lubed.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:55 PM
YHR

OK watched the video. I would try using this as an underlay mat under the gear boxes. I think the results are good , and thank you for sharing this tip. Some gear designs are inherently loud and regardless of how much you work them they will be louder then you like. This is a neat trick to minimize the noise. Doing onboard video maximizes the noise these thing present, so having a way to quiet them is most welcome.

Cheers
Old 08-17-2015, 12:56 PM
R|M|D Photography

Originally Posted by YHR
Sorry I never watched the videos yet. Did you mount the boxes on this stuff as a cushion or did you just surround the gearbox area with this sound deadening material? I am thinking as an insulation between the gear box and the plastic hull it should have a good effect..

My favorite gear towers are the Mato 2.0, but they are tall and will not work with the Stugs. For those I have used the( Asiatam, Like Gary picked up) or Mato Version 1. I have also been very impressed with the all steel bearinged up boxes. I have only got my hands on the 3 shaft version, but would like to try the four shaft in my Tiger.
Just surrounded the area with the mat. This stuff is kinda tar like and squishy, I don't think it would be wise to mount between the transmission and the bottom plastic.

Originally Posted by Panther G
I keep mine well lubed, but you can still hear them, not loud, but the sound echos withing the hull a a bit as you can kinda hear in the video. The echo from the speaker inside was really horrendous. Another thing I have done on all the tanks was taken the screws out of the trans plates and added loctitie. I had a problem at first with the HL Pershing losing a couple of screws.(before I knew t needed to be broken in).
Old 08-17-2015, 12:59 PM
YHR

Just surrounded the area with the mat. This stuff is kinda tar like and squishy, I don't think it would be wise to mount between the transmission and the bottom plastic.

I would give it a try. Tighten down and see what happens.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:11 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther G
Yeah, even a small amount of 3-in-1 oil to the bushings/bearings will reduce the noise.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:24 PM
R|M|D Photography

Originally Posted by YHR
I would give it a try. Tighten down and see what happens.
I may give it a shot on the Jagdpanther, if it will flatten out really well and even it would probably help.

Originally Posted by Roboticus_Prime
Yeah, even a small amount of 3-in-1 oil to the bushings/bearings will reduce the noise.
Agreed
Old 08-17-2015, 01:54 PM
Rufustb

This might be useful. I know you live in KCMO area and are close to this place:

http://www.yarnbarn-ks.com/Schacht-O...o/SA-SCHA-OIL/

My wife has spinning wheels and they are full of small bearings, bushings, etc. I just steal/borrow hers.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:07 PM
R|M|D Photography

Originally Posted by Rufustb
This might be useful. I know you live in KCMO area and are close to this place:

http://www.yarnbarn-ks.com/Schacht-O...o/SA-SCHA-OIL/

My wife has spinning wheels and they are full of small bearings, bushings, etc. I just steal/borrow hers.
Thanks, the oil I use is very similarly bottle.

Being from the KC Metro, if your not already on there check out our local tank page I run on FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/404626893062253/
Old 08-17-2015, 02:43 PM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks, the oil I use is very similarly bottle.

Being from the KC Metro, if your not already on there check out our local tank page I run on FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/404626893062253/

I already added him