Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Box Opening, HK6S 6 ch TX (A Squad Video)

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Box Opening, HK6S 6 ch TX (A Squad Video)

Old 08-22-2015, 10:44 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Box Opening, HK6S 6 ch TX (A Squad Video)

First, that title should probably also say "and a little general discussion about low cost transmitters", so don't worry about getting off topic with different brands and stuff. The whole point of all this is to find the best balance of performance for price in a relatively low cost TX. So far I've tried the T6, and now the HK6S is up to the plate. I also have a Turnigy 9X, but I think that's a bit beyond "low cost" radios. I guess I would say low cost is under $50, or at most just a couple bucks more. Where do you guys think we should draw the line and still call a TX "Low Cost"?

Anyway, I got two new radios in the mail this morning, they're supposed to be one step up from the T6, and they came with servo reversing on the TX, one toggle assigned to ch 5 and one pot assigned to ch 6. I missed something in the video, they have the battery pack that holds 8 AA batteries (just like the one in the 9X except it's hardwired) so they will be VERY easily adaptable to a 3S lipo transmitter pack like the one that runs my 9X. That reminds me, I need to order another one of those for the 9XR that's on the way. Sorry, talkin' to myself again. This is what came today, and the video's below

Anyway, I hooked it up to the Mato metal PIII with the TK22 and just in the kitchen it seems like much better control and it seems a lot smoother. I'll take her outside later and get some video in action. This radio goes for $30.29 from the global warehouse so shipping on two was over 30 bucks (not available at the US warehouses). I've also noticed that I get a different price when I log into the Hobby King website, a couple bucks cheaper than if I just browse without logging in. That might be because I'm a platinum member. I'll have to ask Cronus about that.

I'm not sure about these HK radios, and I know I won't buy anymore T6s, just because of the funniness when you program. Some channels I just can't get to read 100% and I think they're exactly what they're supposed to be - cheap radios. I think they're good for the money, but I think I'd rather spend a few more dollars and get something a little better. I'm also not sure the HK6S is going to do the job. At $30 each with the added shipping costs I might be better off to take one more step up and try these

This is the Turnigy TGY-i6 and it's $52, but that's from the US warehouse so I'll save a ton on shipping. I think it's 12 bucks compared to more than $25 from the global warehouse.

The HK global warehouse has a sale this weekend, free shipping if you spend a buck and a half. Somebody stop me! I really want to get a new camera and I don't have the budget for both. I'm also thinking about giving in and letting Erik convince me to go ahead and get a quad, but he hasn't told me what he thinks so the camera might get bought first and that will kill the budget for a while. What do you guys think would be the best investment for my current windfall (I've got about $300 to play with), a new camera, a couple of these TGY-i6 radios and some other HK goodies, or a quad with beginner's FPV? If Erik comes through with the Guru bit and I can get a quad for less than about $225 I could also pick up an i6 to try out.

Anyway, here's the HK6S, so far so good and I'm sure I won't be throwing it away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkMof7AsGBA
Old 08-22-2015, 06:53 PM
Max-U52

Here's the road test. I really like it. I think it works much better than the T6 and I'm going to take the Jagdpanther off the T6 and put it on the second HK6S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udrqusXG0o8&feature=youtu.be
Old 08-23-2015, 02:57 PM
Max-U52

OK, this should be the last video in this thread. I now have the Jagdpanther on the 6S with a viper for sound control, and also the PIII is on the 6S. I think I'm going to try the TGY-i6 to see if that might be a better radio for the IR Tiger with the IBU2 in it. The 9XR Pro has hit New York so if customs doesn't hold me up too long I might get that this week, and then we hook up the asp.

I'm also thinking about doing a side by side video with several different radios. The T6, the HK6S, the TGY-i6, the 9X and the 9XR Pro. That might be useful for guys like me that are trying to settle on a good TX for multiple tanks. Recently I've seen several guys try radios like the T6 only to find it's not what they expected (one guy even sent his back for a TX with servo reverse switches) so maybe if guys can see several radios side by side it will help them decide what's right for them. If anyone has interest in that sing out. If enough guys think it's a good idea I might be able to get something on tape over the Labor Day weekend. If the weather cooperates I want to set up the village for an end of season shoot, kinda so I can see what I've gotten accomplished this year.

Anyway, here's the two 6S radios in action, along with a first look at the M41 on the TK22. So far this is the best sounding clark board I've heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfh85ELbds4

Last edited by Max-U52; 08-23-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:57 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Gary

I have tried the HK6s, for the simple reason it has the servo reversing control on the front face. I did not find the control any better with it then the T6a using identical setups. I actually prefer the T6A, because I find programming all the end points, and mixing channels is just easier on the computer, so I live with the inconvenience of having to hook it up to a computer. Too bad the T6a didn't have the analog servo reversing switches. That TGY I6 has me intrigued though. I darn neared pulled the trigger on one of those on my last HK order.

The TBS has the ability to have a transmitter raise and lower the volumes as well. This has always been a feature of the TBS card.

Regardless we are on the same page on these inexpensive radios. For something that is on the ground that I can out run if there was a control issue, I have a hard time spending more then $80. Another big plus is the cost of the extra receivers. Most of these are in at under $10 so this is where the cost savings really add up when you running multiple tanks.

Last edited by YHR; 08-23-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:45 PM
Max-U52

You see, I found the 6S easier to drive so I guess that must be personal preference. The T6 is OK, too, and both get the job done well with a little practice. I found they were a bit strange during programming, and some channels just wouldn't go all the way to 100%, even when set for 120%. From what I can see 120% is as high as it lets you go. I also still haven't figured out how to assign the toggles to specific tasks, but I admit that's over my head. If we can't have the T6 with servo reversing switches on the radio it would be nice to have the 6S with the program cord. I like the preassigned pot and switch on the 6S but I'm still not sure if the switch will operate the Turnigy receiver controlled switch I have. I'll have to play with it when I get time.

You'll get a look at the TGY-i6 in a week or so. From the AR warehouse it gets here fairly quickly.

And the 9XR should be here soon as well. It's in NY now. I was smart enough to ask Kevin to install the FrSky module with model matching, but I can't see more than 3 or 4 tanks on that, plus maybe someday trucks or jeeps.