Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Painting 1/16 Tank model need advise please!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Painting 1/16 Tank model need advise please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 04:00 PM
toshik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Painting 1/16 Tank model need advise please!

I went through a bunch of related threads some almost 10 years old. What do I need to go through the painting of Tamiya 1/16 Tiger I model? I do not plan to open a painting store :-)
Just need some practical advise on:
- compressor and airbrush needed
- primer selection (brand, color, amount)
- main colors selection (brand, color, amount)
I guess there is a choice of using either canned spray paint or airbrush, what would be suggested?
Old 08-23-2015, 04:28 PM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

You can't beat an airbrush for models. Spray cans can be good for large areas, but you'll never get the control and accuracy of application you will with an airbrush. My favorite is the Iwata HP-CS gravity feed. You can get them at Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon for a very reasonable price, about $120 the last time I checked. I run mine on a $40 harbor freight 3 gallon pancake compressor but I'm not in an apartment where I have to worry about noise. My compressor is actually pretty quiet, and from the basement you can't hear it until you are actually on the stairs. A lot of guys use auto primers in the spray can, and for finish colors I really like the Testors Model Master enamels. Here's a tank I just recently painted

and I used this airbrush and compressor

Are you trying to duplicate an actual tank or just freestyling it? Have you got a color profile to use as a guide? Have you selected a theater of operations? The colors you'll need will vary greatly depending on where the tank served, North Africa, Eastern front, etc, etc. Maybe you could post a photo of a tank you'd like to copy? I recently did the S33 as it appeared at the battle of Kursk, and I believe that's a tank included in the Tamiya decal set. For that you mainly need testors Dunkelgelb 1943 and Olivgrun 1943. For a more standard tank you would obviously want Panzer gray. What have you got to work with so far? Or are you starting from scratch?
Old 08-23-2015, 05:02 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

you can hand paint it if you want once you weather it they look pretty cool this is a Jagd i hand painted a long time ago

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr92313.jpg
Views:	1540
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	2116336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27641.jpg
Views:	1750
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	2116337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27915.jpg
Views:	1881
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	2116338  
Old 08-23-2015, 05:08 PM
toshik

Thanks we don't base basements in Florida and I live in house. I read that for the primer I can use canned Krylon Ruddy Brown Primer for both metal and plastic.
So the question about the brand of finish colors which brand to use and whether it's worth to get just the primary colors and mix them?
Aside of paintbrush I guess I can use any 50 PSI electric motor compressor? Is it worth getting a twin piston monster, what is the HP needed to paint one tiny tank? :-)

Last edited by toshik; 08-23-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:25 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My honest opinion is to use either Tamiya primer or ammo of mig.

And the paints I prefer are Tamiya or Mig as well.
As for an airbrush, the Iwata is great. I personally use the Paasche Talon Family of brushes...but this is preference and they are both very good quality.

These links should be of help
http://www.ammomigjimenez-usa.com/se..._search=Search

http://www.ammomigjimenez-usa.com/28-acrylic-sets?&p=3
Old 08-23-2015, 05:42 PM
toshik

Ok so stay away from Krylon primer? Can I paint in the closed garage or it's too much dust there? And the compressor suggestions, please
It would be probably go after the East front (Soviet) prototype - need to see the full $$ picture before deciding on that part.
Honestly I was planning to buy pre-assembled and painted model but whatever became available did not work out...

Last edited by toshik; 08-23-2015 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:26 PM
Max-U52

Do you already have the tank (kit)? I seem to remember at least two markings in the Tamiya Tiger One kit, the S33 and the 332. White outline letters for S33, present at Kursk in July of 1943, and the 332, red numbers with white outline but I don't know anything about what unit that was or where it served, Rivetcounter would know right off the top of his head.

I've used Rustoleum red primer (the one that says "also bonds to plastic") with good results. I made a small booth from cardboard and an old, small fan (a lazy susan and a couple of good lights), and in the garage you might think about wetting down the floor.

Seriously, for the compressor you don't have to get fancy, just make sure you have a good regulator with a water trap. Try this one

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gal-1...sor-61615.html

For $39.99 you can't go wrong. I'd test it in the store, though. I had to take the first one back, the second lasted about two months (they replaced it free, no questions asked, save the receipt!), and the third is still going strong over four years later. Hey, Harbor Freight is what it is, and Snap On it ain't. Don't forget the water trap!

Were you looking specifically for a finished Tiger One and the deal fell through? I have five different Tiger Ones, so I suppose I might part with one if you're interested. I guess it depends on what you want to do with it and your budget. Imex has killer T1s at a great price and since Erik arrived the quality of the paint jobs (along with so much else) has seriously improved. Imex is right there in Florida, too, so you should check out their site. This Tiger One Late is a real steal

http://www.imex-model.com/product/CT...29.html?cid=88

Of course, if you already have the kit that's a whole different story.

Oh yeah, while both the paasche and Iwata airbrushes are great, if you have a tight budget you might want to look at the Badger brand. They can be a bit more economical and still give good quality. And a lot of guys stand by the Aztec, but I've never tried one. Do you have much airbrush experience?

Last edited by Max-U52; 08-23-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:32 PM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by Airbrushler
you can hand paint it if you want once you weather it they look pretty cool this is a Jagd i hand painted a long time ago

Not everyone has your talent, Greg. I'd be lost without air pressure.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:39 PM
Tanker 10

I use the same compressor to paint,inflate tires, or run pneumatic tools. It has a regulator and my water trap is on my airbrush hose. I use Tamiya fine primer and most always Tamiya paints. If you paint in the garage and leave the car in, it will get covered in paint dust.

Last edited by Tanker 10; 08-23-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:49 PM
toshik

LOL the compressor costs less than the airbrush. So the regulator and water trap available from the same place? Well, I can paint well with the paint can, no airbrush experience.
Well, I looked at them all - cheap HL is an upgrade heaven and by the time it's fully upgraded it gets close to Taigen. Not to mention Trumpeter, Torro and Mato. So we have a bunch on Chinese Tamiya clones and clones of clones :-)
All of which have some mistakes and only Taigen has a copy of the best Tamiya driveshaft. I'm looking for fully operational one so Tamiya kit is not that far pricewise from all-metal upgraded Taigen. Yes I'd have to put my assembly and paint labor either to 56010 or 84273 plus the remote and painting supplies costs.

Last edited by toshik; 08-23-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:58 PM
diablo2112

Originally Posted by Tanker 10
I use the same compressor to paint,inflate tires, or run pneumatic tools. It has a regulator and my water trap is on my airbrush hose. I use Tamiya fine primer and most always Tamiya paints. If you paint in the garage and leave the car in, it will get covered in paint dust.
This. Tamiya Primer is outstanding, and Tamiya Paints are very good quality. For airbrushing, I use Tamiya Acrylic, thinned with Tamiya thinner. For base coats, the Tamiya spray bottles are in a league of their own. Outstanding luster and coverage. The very-best way to spray Tamiya is to warm the cans up in hot water prior to spraying.

Airbrushes can't be beat for camo. Pickup a cheap compressor from Harbor Freight (or Lowes). In the middle of another 2A6 build this weekend, airbrushed the basic scheme on the lower hull just this morning.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:59 PM
Tanker 10

If you do decide on the Tamiya, you can buy it from Banzai Hobby and the transmitter and receiver will come with the kit. The trade off is, you'll have to pay in the range of $100.00 shipping but you'll have it from Japan in any where from 3-7 days usually. I'm on the west coast and I've had two show up in 6 days.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:02 PM
Tanker 10

Originally Posted by diablo2112
This. Tamiya Primer is outstanding, and Tamiya Paints are very good quality. For airbrushing, I use Tamiya Acrylic, thinned with Tamiya thinner. For base coats, the Tamiya spray bottles are in a league of their own. Outstanding luster and coverage. The very-best way to spray Tamiya is to warm the cans up in hot water prior to spraying.

Airbrushes can't be beat for camo. Pickup a cheap compressor from Harbor Freight (or Lowes). In the middle of another 2A6 build this weekend, airbrushed the basic scheme on the lower hull just this morning.

Nice work.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:05 PM
toshik

Yes I get boomboxes from Japan, EMS from Japan takes on an average of 3 days to Florida. I found a few places a bit cheaper than BH, yet having the 84273 kit.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:09 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Max-U52
Not everyone has your talent, Greg. I'd be lost without air pressure.

no, anyone can do it really sometimes it's all in the weathering
Old 08-24-2015, 04:40 AM
toshik

Hm the compressor is $59.99 today...
Old 08-24-2015, 04:59 AM
mcm308

I got the Paasche Talon siphon feed for my first airbrush to paint these tanks. Im still a noob but I also recommend the Tamiya primer and Tamiya acrylics for color. Very easy to work with and straightforward for beginners like me. A small tank compressor is your best bet if you dont have a garage unit. I use my garage unit with a water separator/filter. Whatever equipment you end buying... Get a feel for brush on paper or something first and then pick a tank to spray for practice to get use to the hand/wrist action. Start with lighter colors first and just roll with it. Trial and error. I freestyle it. Ill be painting my Leo here shortly in my other thread.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:08 AM
diablo2112

Originally Posted by mcm308
I also recommend the Tamiya primer and Tamiya acrylics for color. Very easy to work with and straightforward for beginners like me. (snip) Start with lighter colors first and just roll with it. Trial and error. I freestyle it. Ill be painting my Leo here shortly in my other thread.
Here's a tip for starting out airbrushing camo: outline the edges of the camo pattern with a pencil on your tank. Then, you trace these marks and fill in with the airbrush.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:05 AM
toshik

OK so, this is what we have so far:
- paintbrush Iwata HP-CS Eclipse
- Tamiya paints, primer and solvent
I went to local Harbor Freight today pancake from the link above is $60 plus hose and regulator/water trap. They also have two "tankless" models http://www.harborfreight.com/15-hp-5...kit-60328.html and http://www.harborfreight.com/16-hp-5...sor-60329.html need some input on those please.
What is the best place to get Tamiya paints and how much would I expect to spend (at least primer and main finish color 1/16 Tiger I)? I'd guess that stripes and small detail finishing paint consumption gets close to nothing.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:23 AM
mcm308

Dont bother with a tankless compressor. I like to buy all my paints from LHS so I can look at actual colors in person and choose. Tamiya acrylics thin out and clean up with alcohol so just buy a big bottle of that from a store. Works just fine for me. I thin right before I spray.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:28 AM
toshik

Is this one any good? http://www.ebay.com/itm/271788952594...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 08-24-2015, 09:32 AM
mcm308

Cant comment on that stuff. Go to home depot, get a pancake and dont look back.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:33 AM
mcm308

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cabl...2003/203254365
Old 08-24-2015, 10:00 AM
toshik

Home depot is much more than Harbor Freight and something tells me it's the same China factory making this.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:17 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I got my airbrush here... http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.