Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tutorial on DIY sound system

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tutorial on DIY sound system

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 08:41 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tutorial on DIY sound system

I have the tutorial done up and a new video showcasing Tiger sounds with this set up. This works well for stock Heng long/ Taigen radio's and would work for people who are using DBC and DBC2's and of course BARC's

http://battlearmorrc.weebly.com/addi...hz-rx-mfu.html

Video is embedded in the tutorial, but you can see it here as well. IF you are looking for an evening project and want to try your hand and building sound files, this might interest you. All in you will be under $40 for this project

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb6WR2nFJr8

Cheers
Old 08-31-2015, 10:02 PM
TigerTankMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Dan.
Amazing what is readily available and fun to tinker with in this hobby!
Might try this myself
Old 09-01-2015, 05:44 AM
YHR

If you wanted more sounds you could add another sound board. Turret rotation, gun elevation could be made possible with the addition of another $16 board.

Seems like we are getting more and more full function boards, but these can easily exceed the cost of the tank by the time you include the new radio gears as well. I just wanted to showcase that there are some low cost alternatives, if you don't want to change radio gear and electronics. Lately it seems as if inexpensive doesn't seem to have a place around here anymore. It seems like Taigens are up in the $500 range, Tamiya are slightly higher, and then all these radio's and sound system upgrades add another $200.

I have been around long enough to know it is easy to sink a $1000 into any tank, and have a few of these myself. Lately it seems there have been very few threads on tanking on a budget, so I wanted to showcase something that doesn't exceed the cost of a Heng Long Tank.

So an HL Panther with this DIY sound card can probably come in at under $200. A set of 4 shaft Taigen GB with the bearings or Mato 2.0 Brass gears for about $90 will improve the performance, and still leave you shy of $300.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:49 AM
Tanker 10

Thanks for the video Dan, just a couple of questions. Why the smoke button to start the tank when the transmitter has a start button, and can you still run a smoker, and how is it activated?
Old 09-01-2015, 10:09 AM
sollie

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Cool stuff Dan, shared in Group .
Old 09-01-2015, 10:19 AM
YHR

Originally Posted by Tanker 10
Thanks for the video Dan, just a couple of questions. Why the smoke button to start the tank when the transmitter has a start button, and can you still run a smoker, and how is it activated?
The start button on the transmitter is a digital code within the Heng Long MFU. The 123 Electronics sound boards need analog negative pulses to trigger sounds, and that is why the start is connected to the smoker output. The smoker can still be used.if you want to, and the fact I am using the smoker to signal the engine start makes sense. Ie when you start the engine the smoker will turn on.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:24 AM
Tanker 10

Originally Posted by YHR
The start button on the transmitter is a digital code within the Heng Long MFU. The 123 Electronics sound boards need analog negative pulses to trigger sounds, and that is why the start is connected to the smoker output. The smoker can still be used.if you want to, and the fact I am using the smoker to signal the engine start makes sense. Ie when you start the engine the smoker will turn on.
OK, makes sense to me now. Thanks for the education.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:10 PM
BubbaJePH

Would be great for my HL Abrams using the HL transmitter. Can this be done on a Mac computer? Where did you get your sounds to download? I am very interested,

Last edited by BubbaJePH; 09-01-2015 at 05:35 PM. Reason: more stuff to ask.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:03 PM
YHR

Originally Posted by BubbaJePH
Would be great for my HL Abrams using the HL transmitter. Can this be done on a Mac computer? Where did you get your sounds to download? I am very interested,
You can harvest sound files off of youtube. You need three software programs

Keepvid saves the video
Anyvideo convertor changes the file to an audio file
Audiocity allows you to manipulate the files into usable sound bytes.

There is a learning curve, but it is fun. I do not use a Mac, so I am unsure if there are Mac versions of this software
Old 09-02-2015, 01:41 AM
sollie

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Here is how I collect and save soundfiles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHKFzsTnzOo
Old 09-02-2015, 04:55 AM
YHR

Thanks. The same process can be used to build files for these 123 Electronics boards.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:12 AM
YHR

OK, I have had a little set back. For the next Demo I was setting up these cards to work with the DBC. This time I was taking the electronics off the bench and sticking them in the tank. For whatever reason the motor line trigger with the motors installed is not triggering the acceleration sound like it did on the bench. I am a little stumped as to why. Voltmeter indicates the potential is there, but for some reason it is not triggering the card like it did in the bench. I removed the motor load, and it works. Spent all last night scratching my head on this one. Maybe some diodes to work as a filter or something is required, and I will try this tonight. 14 more days and I am retired and can spend all day on these kind of things

If anyone has an idea, please share, as this is a DIY project, and the more input from others the quicker this obstacle can be overcome.

So there is a hurdle to overcome but I am not giving up..