Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New Mato 4.0 gears

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 02:50 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Mato 4.0 gears

I see Mato has released their get sets with all steel and bearings on all shafts. These were very good gears when they were brass, The bearings will make them that much better, and the steel will make them durable. Also these gears are very good for narrow hulls as the motors nest over each other.

http://www.matomart.com/prodview.php?p=3354
Old 09-03-2015, 06:10 AM
philipat

Which one of these will work with the HL PzIV? I assume the one for the HL Tiger. The one for the PzIII seems to be for their metal PzIII...not sure how that translates to the HL PzIII.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:43 AM
YHR

I don't think there is any inherent difficulty in setting the PZIII gears in a PZIV. I have only ever had one PZiV and I sold it so I don't remember or know if there are any issues.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:51 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd be concerned about the mounting plates.. unless of course these gears can be bolted directly to regular HL standoffs.

Otherwise you'll have to cut the plate. They might make them for different HL models, worth asking.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:12 AM
strmnd54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the main concern is: Will these fit into a Panzer IV once you rise the front sprockets by about 3 mm; and will the speed be the same or slower than the standard 3:1 H.L. gearboxes?
Old 09-03-2015, 09:45 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Hopefully the quality of the shaft rod they use is up to the gears and bearings it isn't a sloppy fit.

Jerry
Old 09-03-2015, 09:54 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's a link for us South of the border.

http://www.matomart.com/prodview.php?p=3353
Old 09-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Bearings on those shafts are a waste of time - the main failure area is the small contact surface between the gears and the shaft.
By design the gears must rotate freely on each of the 2 middle shafts because each pair of gears run at a different speed. The small diameter of the shaft leads to high wear rates on the gear inner diameters, and/or jammed gears / bent shafts when the gear mesh gets sloppy (or the output shaft stalls but the motor keeps going).

Additionally If they are sintered like the Waltersons ones we discussed a while back here, then they will suffer the same problem of the final output gear fracturing when the grub screw is tightened - you can not avoid this with sintered parts, as their core strength is poor. Like Waltersons, they will have to beef up that final gear to reduce the stresses.

Last edited by Ex_Pat_Tanker; 09-03-2015 at 11:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-03-2015, 11:31 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Weird that there are bearings on ALL of the shafts while the gears DO "spin" independently on the shaft.

(at least the gearboxes I have do)

Jeff
Old 09-03-2015, 11:58 AM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I'll bet the steel gears are at least three times as loud as the brass.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:13 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Max-U52
I'll bet the steel gears are at least three times as loud as the brass.

That's why it's important to mix a softer material (like nylon or plastic) on the non-loaded gears to keep the noise down.

Jeff
Old 09-03-2015, 12:20 PM
YHR

Originally Posted by Ex_Pat_Tanker
Bearings on those shafts are a waste of time - the main failure area is the small contact surface between the gears and the shaft.
By design the gears must rotate freely on each of the 2 middle shafts because each pair of gears run at a different speed. The small diameter of the shaft leads to high wear rates on the gear inner diameters, and/or jammed gears / bent shafts when the gear mesh gets sloppy (or the output shaft stalls but the motor keeps going).

Additionally If they are sintered like the Waltersons ones we discussed a while back here, then they will suffer the same problem of the final output gear fracturing when the grub screw is tightened - you can not avoid this with sintered parts, as their core strength is poor. Like Waltersons, they will have to beef up that final gear to reduce the stresses.
This is all true. Unlike the Heng Long / Taigen stock gears, this set up has free wheeling gears on the shafts, so this is a good observation. Perhaps at least two of these bearings aren't really required at the stamped tower and would be better served in the gear. As matter of fact the trouble I have had with the brass gears is that they heat up and then bind themselves to the shaft and it is game over. I have spent extra time with some emery cloth polishing this interface to prevent this from happening. So good catch from the mechanical engineer in the group. Bearings in a muffler don't help much either
Old 09-03-2015, 12:24 PM
YHR

Originally Posted by Panther F
That's why it's important to mix a softer material (like nylon or plastic) on the non-loaded gears to keep the noise down.

Jeff
Agreed. Steel at the torque gears where it is needed and nylon everywhere else would be great. Sometimes I regret tossing all those nylon gears I thought were junk!!!!! The old Mato nylon gears in the plastic enclosed towers are still running in one of my Sherman's, and the darn thing is quiet.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:48 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Originally Posted by YHR
Sometimes I regret tossing all those nylon gears I thought were junk!!!!!
I still have quite a few - I can assure you that the final drive gear is usually the point where they fail over time - not sure if its all the oil they soaked them in (Nylon doesn't need a whole lot of lube) causing the gear to swell and split, or if its moisture in the air (Nylon absorbs water readily), or just too much of a force fit between the shaft and the gear. The shame of it is that the teeth are usually man enough for the job, more so than the pot metal ones - and if you have a smaller tank like a Pz3 or a Sherman and you keep the weight down by not going for metal tracks etc, then they are quite serviceable until that final gear splits.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:15 AM
Tanque

Ooooo yeah I didn't realize anyone was using sintered gears, bad idea. They look nice but no the strength needed isn't there. I've never seen the Watterson's
gearboxes so never knew about the sintered parts but if the new Mato units are following this path they are to be avoided.

I said it up top: if the shaft rod (s) are a sloppy fit to any of the parts then even any top notch parts are wasted. A quality made unit is just going to cost more,
there's no escaping it. Like anything else you get what you pay for. If the gears and other parts are removable invest in some quality metric shaft rod ( assuming
the holes of the other parts are correct and not oversize) and you could improve the performance and sound substantially. Slop is not your friend.

Jerry
Old 09-04-2015, 12:21 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Sintering is good when you only need surface hardness, not core strength. Its a cheap way of making complex 2D shapes that do not require a lot of shear strength with cheap tooling.
Examples in my line of work include valve seats and tooth belt pulleys - If you have to fully machine the part, then it is way more expensive to make than pouring powder in a die, pressing it, then cooking it in a Furness. I'm guessing this is why Mato (Taigen, etc) have moved from machined brass to PM 'steel'.

As Jerry points out, the sloppy fit of the Mato (and to a lesser extent the old Asiatam) gears is the number one contributor to this designs problems. Any slop reduces the unit area available to spread the load from the gear to the shaft that was already available, which accelerates the wear.

Honestly Dan - using emery cloth to polish those shafts is just reducing their diameter by a few Microns, and while it may make the shaft smoother in the short term, its still opening up the clearance between the shaft and gear - its not going to help the long term durability. In an old car you can run thicker oil once the bearings start to wear, in our toys this really isn't an option o.O
Old 09-04-2015, 02:01 PM
YHR

Well, as these tanks are not really running for days at a time, I am going to play the"Don't fix what aint't broke" card. Too many times I have rushed to fix a perceived problem in this hobby only to find out this leads to other issues, and I should have just run the stock stuff.

Mato Sherman Nylon gears as an example
Old 09-04-2015, 02:11 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Mato Sherman Nylon gears as an example
Fantastic product - only seen them fail once - in a Sherman running metal tracks...

Stay light and agile my friends
Old 09-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Tanque

Sintering is good when you only need surface hardness, not core strength. Its a cheap way of making complex 2D shapes that do not require a lot of shear strength with cheap tooling.
Examples in my line of work include valve seats and tooth belt pulleys - If you have to fully machine the part, then it is way more expensive to make than pouring powder in a die, pressing it, then cooking it in a Furness. I'm guessing this is why Mato (Taigen, etc) have moved from machined brass to PM 'steel'.

As Jerry points out, the sloppy fit of the Mato (and to a lesser extent the old Asiatam) gears is the number one contributor to this designs problems. Any slop reduces the unit area available to spread the load from the gear to the shaft that was already available, which accelerates the wear.

Honestly Dan - using emery cloth to polish those shafts is just reducing their diameter by a few Microns, and while it may make the shaft smoother in the short term, its still opening up the clearance between the shaft and gear - its not going to help the long term durability. In an old car you can run thicker oil once the bearings start to wear, in our toys this really isn't an option o.O
Yeah it's funny you should mention the surface hardness thing. When I worked at Varian in the 1970 there was a metallurgist who paid our lab a visit every Wed. When he found out that I
had a 'thing ' for model tanks and I griped about how difficult it was at the time to get ( 1/10 scale ) tracks he suggested: "Why don't you have them made from sintered iron?"

I neverf followed up on it but always seemed like an idea of merit...

Jerry
Old 10-04-2016, 05:32 AM
kizwan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this gearbox for Tiger I but the metal plate is not one piece as advertised (product picture). Mine came with two separate metal plate for left & right gearboxes. I feel disappointed.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20161001100716_DSC00256_20PERC.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	2184429  
Old 10-04-2016, 07:56 AM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Dan,
Just noticed you are coming up on your 10 year forum anniversary.
Congrats.

Perry
Old 10-06-2016, 12:46 AM
philipat

Originally Posted by kizwan
I have this gearbox for Tiger I but the metal plate is not one piece as advertised (product picture). Mine came with two separate metal plate for left & right gearboxes. I feel disappointed.
Sorry to hear that. The set that I got for my PzIV came with a plate that was just one piece. Might want to ask Mato why it's different.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:18 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Dont waste your time asking mato anything. If you do, wait at least 3 weeks for your reply.
imho, i have had two sets of those trannys and one was junk the other was just a tad better,
the gears wobble on their shafts off their rotation axis. The set screws on the motor pinions are jammed in tight and do not contact the motor shaft, the motor shaft is knurled and the pinion is just jamed on the shaft, the set screws do nothing. Every tranny spun pinion gear. I had to pull the pinions, get set screws out, flatten motor shaft and reinstall.
also, final drive gear set screws spin loose.
No where near taigen or tamiya quality.
If you want super low gears get taigen 4:1 or the set eto makes.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:26 PM
philipat

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
Dont waste your time asking mato anything. If you do, wait at least 3 weeks for your reply.
imho, i have had two sets of those trannys and one was junk the other was just a tad better,
the gears wobble on their shafts off their rotation axis. The set screws on the motor pinions are jammed in tight and do not contact the motor shaft, the motor shaft is knurled and the pinion is just jamed on the shaft, the set screws do nothing. Every tranny spun pinion gear. I had to pull the pinions, get set screws out, flatten motor shaft and reinstall.
also, final drive gear set screws spin loose.
No where near taigen or tamiya quality.
If you want super low gears get taigen 4:1 or the set eto makes.
Taigen 4:1s would have been awesome, especially the steel ones. But, they didn't fit in the smaller space of the PzIV.

ETO sets look really nice. But, they cost a mint.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:05 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ETO boxes are the best you can buy and probably will last forever. I have a set in My Tamiya KT and it is a beast. Worth every penny.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.