Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Need help on getting restarted in the RC tank hobby

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Need help on getting restarted in the RC tank hobby

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 05:27 PM
fsciorelli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on getting restarted in the RC tank hobby

All,

While I was just getting into the hobby more than 4 years ago with a variety of Heng Long tanks, critical work and family issues knocked me out of it for the last 4 years. I'm on the cusp of getting started again and need advice. My project goes something like this:

a) Modify Heng Long PzIII H for Tamiya compatible battling
b) Objectives: Replace or augment RX-18 for use of hobby grade radio and Tamiya compatible battling

What I have to start with:
a) Stock Heng Long Pz III H
b) DBC RC2HL built by Phil Pflueger but never installed

Would like to include the following in project
a) Tamiya TBU
b) Servo recoil synchronized with IR and barrel flash
c) Hobby grade radio (leaning towards Spectrum radio that can operate with multiple tanks)
d) Means to convert to hobby grade radio and Tamiya compatibility (DBC RC2HL, DBC3/BARC3, TK-22, etc)

Questions:
a) I think that the DBC RC2HL has an output for the servo. Can someone please confirm?
b) What model is recommended from the Spectrum radios

Thanks for your help. Likely more questions to follow

Best Regards
Frank Sciorelli
Old 09-13-2015, 08:34 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes the DBC2 has a servo recoil. Some of DIY boards of awhile ago have had some cold solder joint issues. It is the Primary reason why I quit doing the DIY. All BARC boards are factory baked, and this is reason for the name change to better differentiate between the two.

You can switch out the chip if you want Benedini sound later on.

You should check out the Hobby king web site. There are some real good tank radios for less then 60 bucks now.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...r_Mode_2_.html

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...2_Mode_1_.html

Last edited by YHR; 09-13-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:44 PM
willbody1

Hello Frank let me know if we can help here is our website

www.rctanksofokc.com
Old 09-14-2015, 07:53 PM
fsciorelli

Originally Posted by YHR
Yes the DBC2 has a servo recoil. Some of DIY boards of awhile ago have had some cold solder joint issues. It is the Primary reason why I quit doing the DIY. All BARC boards are factory baked, and this is reason for the name change to better differentiate between the two.

You can switch out the chip if you want Benedini sound later on.

You should check out the Hobby king web site. There are some real good tank radios for less then 60 bucks now.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...r_Mode_2_.html

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...2_Mode_1_.html

Dan thanks for your inputs.
Regarding radio looks like you are recommending a 6 channel. What is recommended for tank battling, mode 1 vs mode 2? I have got some experience with the Heng Long radio.

I have no experience with servos. In a firing cycle do they rotate 360 degrees, or +/- 180 degrees?

Do the DBC/BARC and TK-22 provide the same type of signal to the servo?
Old 09-15-2015, 04:36 AM
YHR

The BARC, and all other sound cards require you to have a RC radio that has PWM signals to run servos. A servo generally has an arc of less then 90 degrees, but you can get them with different arcs and even get them to run continuously.

The mode of a radio identifies which side the throttle is located. However on a programmable radio you can set this to your own liking.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:54 AM
fsciorelli

Originally Posted by YHR
The BARC, and all other sound cards require you to have a RC radio that has PWM signals to run servos. A servo generally has an arc of less then 90 degrees, but you can get them with different arcs and even get them to run continuously.

The mode of a radio identifies which side the throttle is located. However on a programmable radio you can set this to your own liking.
So the BARC, DBC2, TK22 really don't control the servo. They just provide a port (pass through) for the radio signal to be supplied to the servo from the receiver and power for the servo?

Last edited by fsciorelli; 09-15-2015 at 06:18 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:52 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome back Frank. Most of the RC battle action in California is down in SoCal at the moment. There's a very active club in LA (South El Monte) called "LA Tank". The battlefield is located in a tank museum. They've got a page on facebook, so you should be able to find them without too much difficulty.

LA Tank has a tank meet/battle the first Sunday of every month and of course, their premier annual event, Tank Fest, which is in June, and well attended usually.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:04 PM
YHR

Originally Posted by fsciorelli
So the BARC, DBC2, TK22 really don't control the servo. They just provide a port (pass through) for the radio signal to be supplied to the servo from the receiver and power for the servo?
They interpret the PWM signal and act on it, and that is why you need a hobby grade radio. The proprietary radios do not use the standard PWM signal, so these third party system have nothing to decode.

Without doubt the new 2.4 ghz radios are a step backward in compatibility, and basically need to be tossed when you finally want decent sound. However I have just recently been able to hook up an inexpensive board to really improve the sound on these stock systems.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:40 PM
fsciorelli

By proprietary do you mean the heng long radio? I'm looking at the radios you recommended or a spectrum that can be programmed for multiple tanks

So can I use the same servo whether I go with a DB2/DB3/Barc or a TK 22?

Last edited by fsciorelli; 09-15-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:53 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any Radio can be used for multiple tanks. you simply install a receiver and bind it to that radio.I run 2 or 3 different tanks on one of my TX,s and others have their own Tx. It all boils down to which brand you want. the tank itself only needs 4 channels but some of the new systems have more functions that require their own channels so for simple IR battling you only need 4. I use the Futaba Skysport 2.4 radios. great radio and inexpensive. The receivers are not much money either but there are a lot of options out there now.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:02 PM
fsciorelli

Thanks Panther
Can multiple receivers be bound to a radio at one time?

Do I need a programmable radio for a servo?

Last edited by fsciorelli; 09-15-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:37 AM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Panther
Can multiple receivers be bound to a radio at one time?

Do I need a programmable radio for a servo?
Yes for multiple receivers. A 2.4 GHz radio makes a unique link to the radio that will only work with that tank receiver. So make sure no other 2.4 radios are on near you when linking. If you use a older 75 MHz or 27 AM radio you can control all your tank receivers with the one transmitter without any link procedures. Each will need its own receiver and use the same crystal as the TX. You could even drive them all at the same time....but it would get ugly soon. Here are 5 of the RC halftracks I sell all firing in unison via one Tx. God help those Stukas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHEoGdwOZnw Need one.... go to my website RCTankCommand.com Link: http://www.rctankcommand.com/ Enjoy.

Any hobby quality can fully control a real servo. Even when linked thru Tamiya electronics via a Y connector. Most RC tankers use the Futaba 4YF or similar. Programmable radios are great... but it is like buying a Corvette to deliver the mail. They can be a nightmare to set up properly and reprogram in the field unless you are very familiar with them. Always bring your tank and radio manuals with you when travelling. I have seen it quite often where a guy in IR tank battle hit the wrong switch or button accidentally and lost control of the tank or disable some functions. Then you are dead & ,done or worse yet have a runaway tank. I use the KISS principle "keep it simple stupid". I have self centering joysticks on all my tanks and use one simple switch to fire both the main gun and machine gun. Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYwbJph6NaU & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAYQECo8ESI Enjoy.

My offer still stands for the FREE use, to any of my RCU buddies, of my spare radios for setting up their RC tank builds.
Just pay the shipping. I have 3 out there now on loan.

I always have spare radio systems with me and loan them out at Danville & NEAD events...

My Panther radio IR fire switch makes tank battle much more realistic than flipping joysticks...

The Futaba 4FY give the best bang for the buck and survives being dropped very well too...

Just like Panther G stated about, the Futaba 4YF is the #1 choice.

I hope this helps, Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003_2.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	2120154   Click image for larger version

Name:	silver webbie old and UK 3-11 225.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	2120156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bobs Panther miang gun fire strobe flash.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	2120157  

Last edited by thecommander; 09-16-2015 at 03:32 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:11 AM
YHR

There are many capable radios and if you want simple you can find that at HobbyKing as well.

Tanks are slow moving ground vehicles that the operator stands close to. The risk of loss of control is so low there is really no need to worry about this issue.

They are all built basically the same. Electronic circuit boards housed in a plastic shell, and are all pretty durable. The more expensive radios may have bearings in the joystick gimbals, but not always. The Futaba is a good radio and I think it is what Tamiya recommends and that is why it is the most popular.

2.4 gHz radios are what most people are going for. They can't be accidentally bound to a nearby radio as they need to have a bind plug installed so there is no worries there.

Yes, proprietary , means the stock HL or Taigen radios. Their sole use is to interface with the on board electronics on the stock tanks, and they can not be used for other RC vehicles

i do agree with Bob on keeping it simple though. Some programmable radios have complexities that can either add to or detract from your joy of this hobby. Everything has a learning curve. If you go for more complex or more features then expect the learning curve to be steeper

The T6A in my earlier link is a very capable radio. It's one annoying flaw is you have to hook it up to a computer to change set points and servo directions. Do not buy this radio without a programming cable. I wish they would have designed it with analog servo switches on the front face to allow the user to quickly reverse servo direction if needed. However if you set up your tanks all the same then this not much of a problem.

Last edited by YHR; 09-16-2015 at 05:15 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:46 AM
fsciorelli

Dan,

I did a bunch of comparisons last night and I am going for the T6A. I was going to ask about the cable, but you already answered that. It will be my first experience with that type of radio, so I may need help from my colleagues on the forum to figure it out. This is exciting.

Frank
Old 09-16-2015, 06:50 AM
fsciorelli

Originally Posted by Jeff489
Welcome back Frank. Most of the RC battle action in California is down in SoCal at the moment. There's a very active club in LA (South El Monte) called "LA Tank". The battlefield is located in a tank museum. They've got a page on facebook, so you should be able to find them without too much difficulty.

LA Tank has a tank meet/battle the first Sunday of every month and of course, their premier annual event, Tank Fest, which is in June, and well attended usually.
Jeff,

I may be able to take you up on an invite. In my new assignment at Aerojet Rocketdyne I'm travelling alot to Woodland Hills from Sacramento. Coming into Burbank airport. If it works out and there is something going on we may be able to tag up

Frank
Old 09-16-2015, 07:40 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds great, we'd love to have you visit. Sounds like you frequent the neighborhood.

You can check the location of the battles...it's the American Military Museum. Tons of tanks (literally and figuratively). Plus, the museum is a Heng Long dealer for both tanks and parts. Some real deals to be had on the HL stuff.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:52 AM
thecommander

Dan,

I did a bunch of comparisons last night and I am going for the T6A. I was going to ask about the cable, but you already answered that. It will be my first experience with that type of radio, so I may need help from my colleagues on the forum to figure it out. This is exciting.

Frank
Glad we could help Frank. If you want to borrow one of mine Futaba 4YFs just to set-up the tank when you near the end just PM me. WHen all tests out fine it will make setting up the programmable radio much easier. FYI...The Futaba radios DO NOT require a binding plug...just proximity. It is just one other feature that makes Futaba the preferred radio. If you lose or forgot your binding at home better hope someone else has one at the field. We had a RC tanker drop his Hobby King transmitter last fall...the plastic was so thin and brittle it shattered like a glass. You get what you pay for. Caveat Emptor. FYI...I have a Hobby King radio too that took as a trade-in.. It works... but just feels cheap in my hands.

Last edited by thecommander; 09-16-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:01 AM
YHR

Originally Posted by thecommander
Glad we could help Frank. If you want to borrow one of mine Futaba 4YFs just to set-up the tank when you near the end just PM me. FYI...The Futaba radios DO NOT require a linking plug...just proximity.
I did not know that. IMO that is a problem for the reason you identified earlier. I would prefer to not be open to accidental binding, but again that is just my opinion.

Cheers.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:09 AM
thecommander

Originally Posted by YHR
I did not know that. IMO that is a problem for the reason you identified earlier. I would prefer to not be open to accidental binding, but again that is just my opinion.

Cheers.
Hi Dan, How you been pal. With the Futaba there has never been an issue of wrong binding. It is not done often at a battlefield and what are the chances of two tankers syncing radios at the exact same time. It takes about 3 seconds.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:23 PM
YHR

Originally Posted by thecommander
Hi Dan, How you been pal. With the Futaba there has never been an issue of wrong binding. It is not done often at a battlefield and what are the chances of two tankers syncing radios at the exact same time. It takes about 3 seconds.

Good Bob, two days away from retirement.

Oh, Ok I was basing my response on your warning about not binding a tank with others in the area, I thought there had been a problem.

I am still of the opinion that it makes sense to have to insert a bind plug to bind a receiver to a radio, but hey that is just me.