Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Spektrum receiver question

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Spektrum receiver question

Old 09-17-2015, 10:32 AM
muscleflex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spektrum receiver question

Hi, First off, I want to say sorry now if this has been asked already or has been pointed out.

I am using my Spektrum DX9 radio to control my Tiger (Tamiya Full Options Kit) tank. Trouble is, the remote engine start/stop sound does not work anymore. The sound now only comes on when I switch the tank on and off.
I think I read somewhere that this is expected. I don't know why.

I'm using a DSMX 6 channel receiver (park flyer).

Why is this?

-----------------------------
Now, I found an old (few years old) Orange (Spektrum clone sold by Hobbyking) DSM2 receiver (6 channel) so I wanted to put this on my King Tiger tank just to play around. I installed it tonight and lo and behold: the remote engine start/stop sound worked! It's so cool so I moved this to my Tiger (my favorite tank of the two).

So now.. again, my question is, why and how?

Anyone know? Is it's because of the DSM2 mode?
Old 09-18-2015, 03:39 AM
muscleflex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone help? Is remote engine start/stop still supposed to work on spectrum radios or not?
or is this only for dsm2 receivers?
Old 09-19-2015, 03:55 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There should be 2 sounds for an engine start on an MF-01 multi function unit connected to the DMD T-03 (Tiger, King Tiger, and Panther configuration).The first sound is for an inertia start. That's where the crew would hand crank the engine using the big hand crank. The second sound is an electric starter cranking the tank.

That said, I can simulate remote electric starts using the DX9 and a HK DSM2 or DSMX rx by placing a Dimension Engineering Picoswitch in series with the DMD rudder lead's signal wire (the white one) between the DMD and rx to cut the power (Picoswitch runs on an extra channel). It works pretty good for the electric start sound.

I believe you can simulate the inertia start only by turning the DMD switch off. I am not certain on that though.

I suggest identifying what type of start you wish to simulate, and then consulting the DMD manual that came with your tank (King Tiger comes with the little DMD pamphlet, whereas the Tiger manual contains everything).

Last edited by Jeff489; 09-19-2015 at 03:59 PM.