Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New to tanks, would like some info on Taigen Panther

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New to tanks, would like some info on Taigen Panther

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 09:37 AM
CGNoorloos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to tanks, would like some info on Taigen Panther

Hello,
This is my first visit here, so i shall introduce myself. I am a 30 year old man from Norway. I have previously owned two rc planes and a short course truck and i am now seriously starting to look into tanks.
The last few weeks i have been digging around google and youtube trying to get some impressions and make up my mind as to what i want and what is in financial reach.

I have allways been interested in the Panther tank and i saw Taigen/Torro has a nice looking Panther G. What i did notice though is that in some videos on youtube and some pictures i feel the suspension at the front seems a bit low/soft? While on others it seems normal. As i am cursed with being a perfectionist i need it to be right, if it would be too low it would just destroy the whole tank for me.
Is there anyone here who has experience with this tank? Is there a way to fix this (if it is a problem)?

Besides the Panther i could go for a Tiger 1 or if i find a very good deal maybe even a Tiger 2.

I have been looking at the M26 Pershing too but it seems to have allot smaller fanbase and less parts available.

What i do know for sure is that i want my tank to have atleast metal gearbox, tracks, drivewheel and idling wheel and chasis if possible. More then that at this initial stage would likely become too expencive.

i have been mainly looking at www.rctanks.de
Old 09-21-2015, 04:26 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the Taigen Panther is pretty much the same as the HL Panther. I don't think Taigen did up a torsion bar suspension on this, but a Hull in Germany has been made if you really want torsion Bars.

I would suggest you get steel gears with the 4 shaft boxes with bearings. This is the one thing that perhaps the Taigen Panther comes with these already installed, I am not sure about that though. Erik from IMEX pokes his head in here once in awhile and may have a comment on this.

I have an HL version, and run different gears, with metal tracks but the rest is stock, Here is a link the video of mine in action, of course the electronics have been upgraded to a BARC/TBS.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...16-photos.html

Last edited by YHR; 09-21-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:54 PM
pedzola

Welcome.

RCTank.de sells several versions of the panther. You will have to read the descriptions on the website carefully to see which components are metal and which are plastic.

In the USA, only a plastic chassis is available, but RCTank.de sells a very nice metal-chassis version. I have a metal Jagdpanther from rctank.de, and the suspension and running gear on this tank are EXCELLENT. (I don't know about the plastic chassis though).

HOWEVER... note that you can ONLY fit a low profile gearbox in the Panther ("3:1" or "5:1"). I know this for sure for the metal version, and I'm pretty sure it is the same for the plastic version.

I found that with either the 3:1 (actually 39:1) or 5:1 (actually 46:1) gearboxes, the tank is severely underpowered. It struggles to turn on grass or carpet. I was able to put some larger motors in my Jagdpanther (BaneBots RS395) with 3:1 gearbox, and it runs OK... but the stock configuration will be disappointing.

If you could fit the 4:1 gears in this tank (actually 90:1), it would be near perfect! But unfortunately, I don't think there is any way to make them fit.

In my humble opinion, the Tiger 1 is probably a better first tank. I bought one for my nephew and we were driving on Day 1. No modifications required. (Eventually we needed to fix a couple of things that broke - but it did not require heavy modification simply to drive well, as did my KV2 and Jagdpanther).

RCTank.de also sells many different models of the Tiger 1. If you get one with the metal chassis and 4:1 gearbox, I think you'll be in good shape! The panther does look very cool, and the metal version has an awesome suspension and running gear, but without a 4:1 gearbox it really struggles to turn.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:06 PM
YHR

I put Mato 2.0 gear in mine and they fit. The video shows it moving along fine.

I found the Tigers to be problematic with throwing tracks, and the both of them suffer in the snow because of the interlaced wheels, holding snow and then packing it in until everything is a solid mass of ice..

The Bulldog. KV1, and Sherman are about the best runners out of the box..
Old 09-21-2015, 05:24 PM
Dusty Steppes

The Taigen Panther G is all plastic with springs instead of torsion bar suspension and comes with zinc 3 shaft gears and a Henglong recoil. I upgraded mine with the Rctankde metal lower chassis and metal road wheels. I was able to mount Taigen 4 shaft steel gears plus I added Taigen metal drive sprockets, idler wheels and tracks. I also installed Taigen's 14 conductor 360 degree slip ring kit. One thing the rctankde lower chassis gives you is the correct slope on the lower glacis. My Panther now out performs my late model Taigen Tiger I that is setup in the same manner.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:11 PM
YHR

You should do up a video of that in motion,
Old 09-21-2015, 08:32 PM
DHMountainBKR

Welcome!! Erik is definitely the expert in all things Taigen, love them great value for the money.
Erik has been an amazing help! He is amazingly busy with a truck load of JagdTigers etc... but still takes time for everyone. I am sure he can assist.

Todd
Old 09-21-2015, 09:47 PM
CGNoorloos

Thanks for the quick replies.
The one i look at has ( copied this from the store site):
Metal features
New metal lower hull with metal arms, track tensioning system, Shakel with bolts and nuts,hubs, right metal frontSuspension with torsion bares
Metal gun
Also fitted:
Steel gearboxes, Sprocket and idler wheels (with ball bearings), Road wheels with rubber, HQ-metal tracks with closed track links, motor photo-etch grill

Seeing what Pedzola says, maybe the Panther is not the best choice for a starter tank? I would need it to run quite well from the get go, without having to invest allot of money just to get it running right.

I also came across something that might be a problem. Further down this forum i read that metal tracks will leave marks on a wooden floor. Is it easy to swap to plastic tracks for running inside? Since on this model the roadwheels have rubber and there are no return rollers i gues the plastic ones will not be eaten too fast by the drivewheel.

I am looking at the Tigers some more now and i could sulerly take one of those instead. Is there anything that i should know about? Known issues?

Since it is a first tank, and my budged is limited i do kind of need the tank to be user friendly

I have some time to decide as i am trying to sell my old RC truck first for some added hobbyfunds and lower wife agro.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:57 AM
CaptainB

Be careful about running your tank in the house. the metal tracks will score a wooden floor and will dirty up a carpet, especially if you have driven them outside, but also the tanks have smoke units and the oil that you use can be smelly and messy if you have this switched on or spill some etc..

Also, if the tank is well oiled, it can leak the occasional bit of oil on the floor or carpet which wont keep the wife happy.

Personally, I don't run these tanks in the house and regard them as outdoor runners, but if your not bothered about a bit of mess then fill your boots!!!!

cheers

CaptB
Old 09-22-2015, 06:03 AM
Dusty Steppes

Originally Posted by CGNoorloos
Metal features
New metal lower hull with metal arms, track tensioning system, Shakel with bolts and nuts,hubs, right metal frontSuspension with torsion bares
Metal gun
Also fitted:
Steel gearboxes, Sprocket and idler wheels (with ball bearings), Road wheels with rubber, HQ-metal tracks with closed track links, motor photo-etch grill

Seeing what Pedzola says, maybe the Panther is not the best choice for a starter tank? I would need it to run quite well from the get go, without having to invest allot of money just to get it running right.

I also came across something that might be a problem. Further down this forum i read that metal tracks will leave marks on a wooden floor. Is it easy to swap to plastic tracks for running inside? Since on this model the roadwheels have rubber and there are no return rollers i gues the plastic ones will not be eaten too fast by the drivewheel.

I am looking at the Tigers some more now and i could sulerly take one of those instead. Is there anything that i should know about? Known issues?

Since it is a first tank, and my budged is limited i do kind of need the tank to be user friendly

I have some time to decide as i am trying to sell my old RC truck first for some added hobbyfunds and lower wife agro.
That sounds like how mine is setup. I would check to see if the transmissions are 4 shaft before purchasing it.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:13 AM
CGNoorloos

Thanks, what is a 4 shaft transmission? Is that what 3:1, 4:1 etc stands for? It is the ratio right?

@YHR: I saw that video a very few days ago, i did not know it was you. It was also on that video you posted that i find that the Panther rides a bit low at the front. The axle of the front drivewheel should be higher compared to the first roadwheel. Could that be becourse of a heavier gearbox and/or motors? (No critisism on your behalf mind you i think she looks stellar).
Old 09-22-2015, 06:49 AM
DHMountainBKR

The tracks are really easy to remove and install here is a nice video from Erik from Taigen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXHCUuf3SJ8
just as an fyi, he has a ton of really nice youtube videos that will answer a ton of questions:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGa...JbnMyoeV5PIe2w
Old 09-22-2015, 06:55 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by pedzola
Welcome.

RCTank.de sells several versions of the panther. You will have to read the descriptions on the website carefully to see which components are metal and which are plastic.

In the USA, only a plastic chassis is available, but RCTank.de sells a very nice metal-chassis version. I have a metal Jagdpanther from rctank.de, and the suspension and running gear on this tank are EXCELLENT. (I don't know about the plastic chassis though).

HOWEVER... note that you can ONLY fit a low profile gearbox in the Panther ("3:1" or "5:1"). I know this for sure for the metal version, and I'm pretty sure it is the same for the plastic version.

I found that with either the 3:1 (actually 39:1) or 5:1 (actually 46:1) gearboxes, the tank is severely underpowered. It struggles to turn on grass or carpet. I was able to put some larger motors in my Jagdpanther (BaneBots RS395) with 3:1 gearbox, and it runs OK... but the stock configuration will be disappointing.

If you could fit the 4:1 gears in this tank (actually 90:1), it would be near perfect! But unfortunately, I don't think there is any way to make them fit.

In my humble opinion, the Tiger 1 is probably a better first tank. I bought one for my nephew and we were driving on Day 1. No modifications required. (Eventually we needed to fix a couple of things that broke - but it did not require heavy modification simply to drive well, as did my KV2 and Jagdpanther).

RCTank.de also sells many different models of the Tiger 1. If you get one with the metal chassis and 4:1 gearbox, I think you'll be in good shape! The panther does look very cool, and the metal version has an awesome suspension and running gear, but without a 4:1 gearbox it really struggles to turn.
Strange, I have the 4:1s in both of my metal Panther chassis and they fit fine. The plastic lower hull version from us at this time can only fit the 3:1 types, so a motor swap is more ideal (and cheaper) to get the gearing right IMO.
Hello,
This is my first visit here, so i shall introduce myself. I am a 30 year old man from Norway. I have previously owned two rc planes and a short course truck and i am now seriously starting to look into tanks.
The last few weeks i have been digging around google and youtube trying to get some impressions and make up my mind as to what i want and what is in financial reach.

I have allways been interested in the Panther tank and i saw Taigen/Torro has a nice looking Panther G. What i did notice though is that in some videos on youtube and some pictures i feel the suspension at the front seems a bit low/soft? While on others it seems normal. As i am cursed with being a perfectionist i need it to be right, if it would be too low it would just destroy the whole tank for me.
Is there anyone here who has experience with this tank? Is there a way to fix this (if it is a problem)?

Besides the Panther i could go for a Tiger 1 or if i find a very good deal maybe even a Tiger 2.

I have been looking at the M26 Pershing too but it seems to have allot smaller fanbase and less parts available.

What i do know for sure is that i want my tank to have atleast metal gearbox, tracks, drivewheel and idling wheel and chasis if possible. More then that at this initial stage would likely become too expencive.

i have been mainly looking at www.rctanks.de
The Panther tank is great in both the metal and plastic editions. I would however suggest the Tiger 1 as a better starter tank. You can get our plastic edition Tiger 1 and it already comes with a metal chassis and torsion bar suspension. We also have the new airsoft recoil turret for the Tiger 1 tanks out too if you enjoy airsoft. The Tiger 1 tanks can use almost any gearbox and has lots of room to work with on the inside. Weight can be simulated with fishing weights or similar, so do not feel you must purchase the metal edition tanks to get the bang for your buck. I'm not sure where you are located but if you are in the US parts are quick and easy to find for our tanks. If they aren't up on the website just give me a call and I'll do my best!
Originally Posted by DHMountainBKR
Welcome!! Erik is definitely the expert in all things Taigen, love them great value for the money.
Erik has been an amazing help! He is amazingly busy with a truck load of JagdTigers etc... but still takes time for everyone. I am sure he can assist.

Todd
Thanks! Yea I'm dying with stuff here, I didn't even take my lunch until 5pm yesterday.... My number is in my signature if you guys ever need anything!
Metal features
Metal gun
Also fitted:

Yes metal tracks will mark your floors. Its best to just keep it outside as swapping the tracks is pretty easy, but inside driving is kinda boring for me
Old 09-22-2015, 06:56 AM
CGNoorloos

Thanks Mountainbkr, i was looking at those just as we speak A shame the panther he unboxes is the older model, not the one with new hull and proper lower glacis.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:03 AM
CGNoorloos

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Strange, I have the 4:1s in both of my metal Panther chassis and they fit fine. The plastic lower hull version from us at this time can only fit the 3:1 types, so a motor swap is more ideal (and cheaper) to get the gearing right IMO.

The Panther tank is great in both the metal and plastic editions. I would however suggest the Tiger 1 as a better starter tank. You can get our plastic edition Tiger 1 and it already comes with a metal chassis and torsion bar suspension. We also have the new airsoft recoil turret for the Tiger 1 tanks out too if you enjoy airsoft. The Tiger 1 tanks can use almost any gearbox and has lots of room to work with on the inside. Weight can be simulated with fishing weights or similar, so do not feel you must purchase the metal edition tanks to get the bang for your buck. I'm not sure where you are located but if you are in the US parts are quick and easy to find for our tanks. If they aren't up on the website just give me a call and I'll do my best!

Thanks! Yea I'm dying with stuff here, I didn't even take my lunch until 5pm yesterday.... My number is in my signature if you guys ever need anything!

Yes metal tracks will mark your floors. Its best to just keep it outside as swapping the tracks is pretty easy, but inside driving is kinda boring for me

Thanks allot Erik for the reply. I think i will then go for a Tiger 1 with airsoft. I live in Norway but with the rc planes and car i owned i often ordered parts from the US and Germany and they where often quite fast to arrive. Often within 5 days if i remember correctly.

Btw are the roadwheels for early and late models interchangable? If i buy an early model can u put on late wheels or vice versa without any mods?
Old 09-22-2015, 07:48 AM
Imex-Erik

No problem! Yes the wheels on our chassis can be swapped with no issues, both early and late and both plastic and metal all mount the same. Our shipping is pretty fast too, most of the time I can get it out of the office same day if ordered before around 3pm EST. Our mail runs are at 4pm for parts and international orders and around 5:30pm for tanks. Just give me an hour or so to process them, I am a bit faster than the online sites are at relaying info and getting stuff done.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:58 AM
YHR

Thanks, what is a 4 shaft transmission? Is that what 3:1, 4:1 etc stands for? It is the ratio right?

@YHR: I saw that video a very few days ago, i did not know it was you. It was also on that video you posted that i find that the Panther rides a bit low at the front. The axle of the front drivewheel should be higher compared to the first roadwheel. Could that be becourse of a heavier gearbox and/or motors? (No critisism on your behalf mind you i think she looks stellar).
I never noticed that before. IF it does that it must be an error in the Heng Long as the drive shafts are through the center of the hull holes that were there.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:19 PM
pedzola

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Strange, I have the 4:1s in both of my metal Panther chassis and they fit fine.
0__0 I guess the Jagdpanther is different then. I thought it was the same as the Panther. If I remember correctly, MaxU and I both tried to get 4:1 boxes into our metal-hull JP's with no luck. Maybe the Panther has a slightly more favorable upper hull angle for more clearance.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:56 PM
CGNoorloos

Originally Posted by YHR
I never noticed that before. IF it does that it must be an error in the Heng Long as the drive shafts are through the center of the hull holes that were there.

It is only minor though. rctank.de seems to have 3 models, two look right and one sits a little low. But then again, Panthers irl seemed to have a bit different heights too (ps there is a red line of the first picture too).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Panther.jpg
Views:	1150
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	2121859   Click image for larger version

Name:	24-GHz-Panther-G-Rohrrueckzug-IR-Rauch-und-Sound.jpg
Views:	965
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	2121860   Click image for larger version

Name:	panther 2.jpg
Views:	1151
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	2121861  

Last edited by CGNoorloos; 09-22-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:48 PM
CaptainB

The panther suspension on my tank was very soft - I had to clock the springs on mine so that the wheels push the hull up to the correct height. Also, if the tracks are a bit tight, this will compress the front wheels causing the drop at the front you are seeing. Poorly fitted or weak torsion bars can give a similar effect and that's probably more difficult to fix.

cheers

CaptB
Old 09-22-2015, 11:56 PM
CGNoorloos

One more quick question. Is it easy to remove the track recoil? As far as i know the Taigen/HL/Torro models al have track recoil and i am not a very big fan of that and would like to remove/disable it if possible.

Edit: Thanks CaptainB. Does anyone know how easy/hard it is to make a torsionbar suspension stiffer? One panther rctanks.de sells does have torsionbar suspension and a metal hull and i still have an eye on that one as well as looking more at Tigers now. But would love to know if it is easly strengthened when needed.

Last edited by CGNoorloos; 09-23-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:18 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by pedzola
0__0 I guess the Jagdpanther is different then. I thought it was the same as the Panther. If I remember correctly, MaxU and I both tried to get 4:1 boxes into our metal-hull JP's with no luck. Maybe the Panther has a slightly more favorable upper hull angle for more clearance.
Yea I forgot about the JP The mantlet prevents the High/Low motor mount configuration on that model.
One more quick question. Is it easy to remove the track recoil? As far as i know the Taigen/HL/Torro models al have track recoil and i am not a very big fan of that and would like to remove/disable it if possible.

Edit: Thanks CaptainB. Does anyone know how easy/hard it is to make a torsionbar suspension stiffer? One panther rctanks.de sells does have torsionbar suspension and a metal hull and i still have an eye on that one as well as looking more at Tigers now. But would love to know if it is easly strengthened when needed.
Yes there are a few different ways to remove the recoil, RCTA has a few good items that are cheap and require no other modifications to the system. There are also full replacement aftermarket motherboards available as well, all of which offer some great features.
The torsion bars can actually be removed from the tank and preloaded by twisting them a bit. Doing this you can adjust individual suspension arms to your liking.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:37 AM
CaptainB

Erik is absolutely right in what he says regarding the torsion bar suspension mod and the track recoil removal. Can I just ask what it is that you dislike about the track recoil though? the reason I ask this is because on the Crystal based 27mhz system, the track recoil can be initiated on the Tx and is independent of the gun fire. this means that the tank wont jump back while firing on the move. Also, when firing with the turret at 90 degrees to the hull, the tank wont jump back either unless you push the button of course, but it will on the 2.4Ghz system. what I'm trying to say is that the track recoil on the crystal based system seems much more controllable to me and you may prefer to use this setup.

Hope this helps

CaptB
Old 09-23-2015, 11:36 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey guys,

I have the Rctank.de Panther and it does in fact come with 4:1 gearboxes. It's incredibly well built and they even corrected the Heng Long error with the wrong lower front plate angle.

Couldn't really be happier with a Panther
Old 09-23-2015, 11:41 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"4:1" Gearbox, notice the extra gear at the back

"3:1" Standard ratio, no extra gear. Faster, but less torque. Heavy tanks often do better with 4:1

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	gb_rrs_T01.jpg
Views:	924
Size:	428.1 KB
ID:	2121973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Henglong-M4A3-rc-font-b-tank-b-font-parts-zinc-gearbox-font-b-engine-b-font.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	2121974  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.