Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

any one use ebay 540 gear reduction motor to dirve tank

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

any one use ebay 540 gear reduction motor to dirve tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 05:35 AM
modeleryang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any one use ebay 540 gear reduction motor to dirve tank

Search 540 gear reduction motor on ebay, found some good gear set attached to 540 motor, they provide very good range of rpm required to operate a tank and small size too.

I just wonder why nobody use those gear to replace the hl tank gearset, it seems simple project and simply let the geared motor to direct drive the wheel, did I miss something?
Old 09-24-2015, 06:06 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by modeleryang
Search 540 gear reduction motor on ebay, found some good gear set attached to 540 motor, they provide very good range of rpm required to operate a tank and small size too.

I just wonder why nobody use those gear to replace the hl tank gearset, it seems simple project and simply let the geared motor to direct drive the wheel, did I miss something?

If you're referring to the gearbox attachment to the motor arrangement the problem lies within the size. It will not work with the current gearbox in 1/16 tanks but will have to be adapted and use a smaller motor than 540.

It has been done but is not an industry standard yet as it's cheaper to use what is being offered right now.

There are newer boxes being offered that utilize less gears but are not really a cost effective offering for the HL range of tanks.

Jeff
Old 09-24-2015, 09:22 AM
modeleryang

are they durable? it seems a lot of planatary gear or worm gear packed in a relatively small canister
Old 09-24-2015, 10:13 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These types of reductions have been around for years and as Jeff pointed out won't fit into a 1/16 tank due to size constraints.
I've used a couple in my 1/10 scale trucks.
http://store.rc4wd.com/Gear-Reduction-Unit_c_477.html
Old 09-24-2015, 12:22 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

You actually can fit 540 motors on the 3:1 gearboxes (the 4:1 cause issues with mounting) but you will have to mount them yourself and modify the gearbox to hold the motors with a dremel or similar. I wouldnt suggest it though, they ended up adding a lot of weight and were WAY too powerful. I would suggest some nice upgraded 380-400 motors instead. Banebots actually has some really good motors with a lot of specs on them which is hard to find on brushed motors. Just make sure to run an inline fuse if you plan on upgrading the motors and not the controller. This will prevent blowing the ESCs in the motherboard. I usually suggest a 5A to start. Upgrading the motors is a much easier and cleaner upgrade.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:43 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the size of the 540 isn't usually the issue, it's the 2" your adding in length to it with this type of reduction unit.
This is another type that still adds to the overall length but not as much. It then raises the motor so you have to check your clearance on the hull top or whats behind your gearboxes depending on gearbox type. Agree with Erik also that 540's aren't really needed as long as you've got the correct ratio in your gearboxes and pinion tooth count.
http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/k...SION::255.html
Old 10-05-2015, 07:22 AM
modeleryang

thanks for your input guys, it really helps.
Just general purpose talk about scaled rc cars, truck, and armored cars, why nobody use direct drive with geared reduction motor on individual wheel, rather every rc car is one motor + transmission and differential.
the geared motor seems really cheap and have a wide range of variety of rpm/torque, why not mount them to wheel. say I am doing a diy project for "stryker afv", instead of developing all the suspension, transmission gears, can I instead put small motor on wheel, are those robot-use reduction geared motor durable for scale speed run on car?