Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya EZ8 build - DIDI

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 11:35 AM
LarryE519

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya EZ8 build - DIDI

Hi Guys,
I picked up this Tamiya FO Sherman with the Nick Aguilar Easy 8 conversion set last March. The original owner had pieced it together, but gave up on the project. I gave it a complete strip down and re-build.

Nick was nice enough to help me out with a few missing parts, (twice), Thanks Nick. I also upgraded the idler mount and gearbox mount with parts supplied by Daryl Turner, Thanks Daryl. I used Crystal Clear to reproduce the glass in the commander’s copula. The split hatch is from Mato and works like a charm – I should have mounted the TBU there, but it came to the project as an afterthought. I will run this tank with the commander’s hatch off, just in case of a roll over. The TBU emitter is mounted in the gun mantlet, thanks to Bob the Commander for help with that. Lastly, thanks to Rich Johnson for the inspiration for this build, my DIDI is not close to what you have done, but it works for me..

I finally got my turret rotation problems put to bed. Got the first few coats of paint down, and added a few decals – before I get to dull coat I wanted to share some photos with you guys. I’m not happy with the commander’s copula, the paint dried very glossy, hopefully when I clear coat it will flatten out. Still have to add stowage and weathering. My only regret so far is no gun recoil, but that project can want for another day..

Lastly I want to thank all of the folks on the board who consistently post great information on everything about our hobby. From the many inspiring builds, to the smallest of info for the rivet counters, to the guys with all of the answers, Thank You!!

On to the photos, see if you can spot my supervisor…
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Easy 8 .jpg
Views:	43
Size:	689.7 KB
ID:	2125693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Easy 8 A.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	536.3 KB
ID:	2125694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Easy 8 B.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	665.1 KB
ID:	2125695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Easy 8 C.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	627.0 KB
ID:	2125696   Click image for larger version

Name:	Easy 8 D.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	664.6 KB
ID:	2125697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Easy 8 E.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	486.3 KB
ID:	2125698   Click image for larger version

Name:	Easy 8 F.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	685.6 KB
ID:	2125699   Click image for larger version

Name:	Easy 8 G & Sophia.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	662.7 KB
ID:	2125700  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Easy 8 H.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	528.5 KB
ID:	2125701   Click image for larger version

Name:	Easy 8 I.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	840.3 KB
ID:	2125702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Easy 8 J.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	706.6 KB
ID:	2125703  
Old 10-16-2015, 02:45 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Looks great man. Do you have the gun recoil?
im glad my trials and tribulations could help you out or motivate you.
I had my projector in the gun mantle as well but then the flash got funky and misfired most of the time so i yanked it and pushed the IR up the barrel.

what is the crystal clear you put in the coupola windows. That is the last thing I have to do and I havent found something that satisfies me yet.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:59 PM
LarryE519

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
Looks great man. Do you have the gun recoil?
im glad my trials and tribulations could help you out or motivate you.
I had my projector in the gun mantle as well but then the flash got funky and misfired most of the time so i yanked it and pushed the IR up the barrel.

what is the crystal clear you put in the coupola windows. That is the last thing I have to do and I havent found something that satisfies me yet.

Thanks Rich,

I'll keep an eye on the emitter to see if i'm getting any interference. No recoil now, but its on the drawing board. I used Microscale Kristal Klear for the glass.

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MI-9

They say its for windows up to 1/4 inch. The product goes on like paint, so you can drop a bit in one corner and "pull" it across with the paint brush, it will form a cloudy film and dry clear.

Larry