Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya Pershing MFU malfunction??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya Pershing MFU malfunction??

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 01:32 PM
Eddyk

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tamiya Pershing MFU malfunction??

Hi, tankers!
I have a question...
I have Tamiya Pershing. It's working good, it's shooting and receiving hits, but ... it's not dying even after 15-20 hits...
Where could be a problem??
Old 10-30-2015, 01:56 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I suggest checking 2 things. First, when you turn the tank on and then plug the GFS receiver (aka "apple") in, it will run like that. Make sure the apple is plugged in, then turn on the tank.

Second, you might have it in 'test' mode. Check the dip switches on your MF unit and verify they are set correctly (dip switch settings will be covered in the little DMD manual that came with the tank).
Old 10-30-2015, 03:19 PM
Eddyk

Does anyone have DMD manual in pdf?
Old 10-30-2015, 03:21 PM
Eddyk

Thanks! I think that the problem could be in the dipswitches! But I haven't manuals - I bought built tank without any manuals...
Old 10-30-2015, 04:49 PM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flip both switches in.

Here is a page from my RCTankCommand.com website with pix: http://www.rctankcommand.com/before-...er-photos.html

Remember.... like Jeff already said: ALL installations, changes and repairs should be done with the tank off. The Tamiya tank only remembers how it was set at start-up. Don't install or remove a apple with the tank on. Keep you wires and tank neat inside and you will have fewer problems in the future. I further recommend you disconnect your battery to prevent and "wiring shorts" and work atop a wood block to prevent a runaway tank. Safety first.

Last edited by thecommander; 10-31-2015 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:07 PM
Eddyk

Originally Posted by thecommander
Flip both switches in.

Here is a page from my RCTankCommand.com website with pix: http://www.rctankcommand.com/before-...er-photos.html

FYI...ALL installations, changes and repairs should be done with the tank off and battery disconnected if possible...and atop a wood block to prevent a runaway tank.
Both switches? I found three - SW1 and SW2 are for recoil and shooting interval adjusting and SW3 - for testing...
Old 10-31-2015, 06:44 AM
thecommander

Originally Posted by Eddyk
Both switches? I found three - SW1 and SW2 are for recoil and shooting interval adjusting and SW3 - for testing...
SW 1 & 2 should be both in towards each other. SW 3 should be to the left. This will make your tank a "Heavy". That means 9 second reloading and 9 hits until KO'ed.

Heavy: M26 Pershing some others tanks... Heavy tank: Tiger 1, KT, KV etc....

Medium; M4 Sherman, Pzr III or IV, Stug etc.... Both switches "out". Five second reload & 5 hits to KO'ed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	2128499   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010905.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	657.6 KB
ID:	2128500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cannon 5-12 026.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	2128501   Click image for larger version

Name:	M26 Hull int.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	2128502  
Old 10-31-2015, 10:13 PM
Eddyk

Thanks a lot for the info!
I'll try to make it work!
Edmunds
Old 11-01-2015, 08:47 AM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

pdf for battle unit setup and the build manual .in pdf.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/manuals/53447ml.pdf

http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/manuals/56016ml.pdf

Thanks
Jimmy
Old 11-01-2015, 01:25 PM
Eddyk

Originally Posted by bowlman
pdf for battle unit setup and the build manual .in pdf.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/manuals/53447ml.pdf

http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/manuals/56016ml.pdf

Thanks
Jimmy
Thank You very much!
Very usefull links!!!
Old 11-01-2015, 01:26 PM
Eddyk

Can someone write the start procedure step by step? My tank now is just making throttle sound without any movement...
Old 11-01-2015, 03:19 PM
thecommander

Your tank is in "Park" or safety. You didn't do anything wrong.

This is a feature on the Pershing, KVs & M51 Tamiya tanks. They should have made them all the same...IMHO ( all with or all without Park) . Put your tank atop a block...tracks off the workbench. Set your throttle trim tab to full (125%) down/reverse and rev the throttle (Joystick up/forward to full throttle and then down/reverse to full throttle). Then return trim to zero/center. If you have a normal radio this is very easy. If you have a fully programmable (digital trim) radio it will be more difficult (refer to your owners manual). This is one of the reasons I recommend a simple Futaba 4 YF or similar radio. K.I.S.S. This is the custom tank radio that I sell: http://www.ebay.com/itm/UPGRADE-TO-A...AAAOSwVL1WEu74 You should now be able to drive the tank. If not ....then set your trim to full (125%) up/forward instead of reverse. Then rev the throttle (Joystick up/forward to full throttle and then down/reverse to full throttle). Occasionally, someone goofs,the motor wire hook-up... and the tank will recoil forward. Your tracks should now move. Return your trims to zero/center. If you have a Turnigy/inertia chip it will be even more difficult to do this as the motor revs up & down very slowly.

This is a very common issue. PM me you phone # if you still have trouble and I will walk you thru it by phone. Bob

Last edited by thecommander; 11-01-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:13 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

Yes I keep my Pershing on a simple Speektrum DX5e that way all I have to due is slide the tab down then full down with the stick unlocks park .

Thanks
Jimmy
Old 11-01-2015, 09:24 PM
Eddyk

Thanks!
I have Monstertronic 6-chanel radio from rctank.de and this don't work on it.... I have tried different combinations...

Edmunds
Old 11-02-2015, 01:57 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

You need to calibrate the DMD to your transmitter.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:10 AM
thecommander

Originally Posted by bowlman
Yes I keep my Pershing on a simple Speektrum DX5e that way all I have to due is slide the tab down then full down with the stick unlocks park .

Thanks
Jimmy
I'm with your Jimmy. Trim tabs on the face of the radio let you see what is going on instantly. That saves many headaches and lost time to trouble shooting. Unless the user is very familiar with their radio it is too easy to get lost and overwhelmed. K.I.S.S. I hope this thread helps others.

Edmunds refer to page 22 at the second link from our buddy Bowlman for the radio set-up. Make sure that your radio joystick end point limits are set to 100% first. If they are not you will not reach full throttle (AKA W.O.T. / wide open throttle or 100% throttle). The more sophisticated the radio the more variables to complicate your set-up.

My offer still stands: If anyone want to borrow a free Futaba 4ch radio w/ receiver from me to set-up or test their tank just PM me. Just pay the postage. Bob.

Last edited by thecommander; 11-02-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:21 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know why these guys all keep thinking they need these super complicated radios. i realize that 6 channels are becoming the norm but this computor digitol stuff is just such overkill on this hobby. All it serves is to make the simplest set up complicated and confusing.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:09 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther G
I don't know why these guys all keep thinking they need these super complicated radios. i realize that 6 channels are becoming the norm but this computor digitol stuff is just such overkill on this hobby. All it serves is to make the simplest set up complicated and confusing.
I have to disagree, the newer electronics packages are utilising more channels, the computer radios give all sorts of nice flexibility and mixing options which are really useful. They're also very cheap compared to the standard 4ch Futaba 2.4ghz set. Lack of analogue trims isn't an issue when you are able to alter your end points to compensate. You can still add fire buttons and such, or assign these functions to switches. With a basic understanding of how your more simple transmitter functions work then you can transfer this to the more complex radios, just have to read the manual!
Old 11-03-2015, 06:01 AM
Tanker 10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther G
Well with me, my DX6i is used for a couple of airplanes and tanks. My Futaba 4 channel radios won't do what I need them to do for my planes.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:34 AM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by Tanker 10
Well with me, my DX6i is used for a couple of airplanes and tanks. My Futaba 4 channel radios won't do what I need them to do for my planes.
For sure if your trying to use one TX for multiple toys they are great. Think what PantherG and I have always noticed is mainly during IR battling that tankers will have
some hiccup during a battle with a setting or forget which model is which or forget to check endpoints, expo, mixing after a bench test. Then they become cannon fodder cause their fire button isn't working or elevation is reversed, etc. Also makes initial setup pretty tough with the newer aftermarket boards especially if you don't know your way around your TX.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:54 AM
Tanker 10

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
For sure if your trying to use one TX for multiple toys they are great. Think what PantherG and I have always noticed is mainly during IR battling that tankers will have
some hiccup during a battle with a setting or forget which model is which or forget to check endpoints, expo, mixing after a bench test. Then they become cannon fodder cause their fire button isn't working or elevation is reversed, etc. Also makes initial setup pretty tough with the newer aftermarket boards especially if you don't know your way around your TX.
Sorry but I must disagree. The guys who do that aren't ready to roll. In my days of rc car racing I saw it every race day. the guy who would put his cars away after the race and not touch them again until the next race. Batteries not charged, broken stuff on the car etc. The place to work on stuff and get it ready is at home, not the event. Agreed, things happen during an event which requires repairs or switching tanks. As far as the aftermarket boards go, at least the IBU2, model memory takes care of that in the four tanks I have on IBU2's and the DX6i.
Preparation is the key to being competitive.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:28 AM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by Tanker 10
Sorry but I must disagree. The guys who do that aren't ready to roll. In my days of rc car racing I saw it every race day. the guy who would put his cars away after the race and not touch them again until the next race. Batteries not charged, broken stuff on the car etc. The place to work on stuff and get it ready is at home, not the event. Agreed, things happen during an event which requires repairs or switching tanks. As far as the aftermarket boards go, at least the IBU2, model memory takes care of that in the four tanks I have on IBU2's and the DX6i.
Preparation is the key to being competitive.
Your absolutely right Tanker, but I'm saying the KISS principle cuts out some of the user unpreparedness. Less variables, less BS at the event. I consider every mod, aftermarket board, new product, rule of engagement, etc to have to cater to a complete beginner in this hobby. You'd be surprised how many operators get scared off at the
mere mention of a soldering iron. Gotta think of every level of involvement, age, experience with implementation of these things.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:51 AM
Tanker 10

No argument from me about KISS. My Futaba radios are much easier to use and get the job done just as well.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:32 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats all I was really saying. As far as experienced hobbyists go these digital radios are awesome. People with multiple vehicles and types of vehicles can run all of them with one radio. But, the new person to the hobby may get drawn into a situation that he may not know what he needs or what to buy and will be swayed by all the comments in forums and from dealers. Hey , you need this super trick radio or that radio when really the beginner or even proficient battler can have everything he needs with a simple 4 channel radio. Even my Skysports with only 4 channels actually
have the ability to add fire buttons which make using them even more simple to run. It is all about what you as the hobbyist needs and it is easier to keep it simple. Fortunately the cost of the radios is coming down. you can get some fine Tx's and Rx;s for little money now so it is always an option to upgrade later when the time presents it self. i used to buy a radio and Rx for every tank I had, now I simply just install rx;s in tanks and bind a group to one Tx. i can only run one at a time so why not? I keep my groups in an order such as Axis vehicles and allied vehicles so i can always have a battle with either side.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:00 PM
Tanker 10

That's a good plan Panther G. I've got a radio for everything, maybe next time I'll buy just a receiver. It will allow for the purchase of more tanks if I do what you do. But don't tell Bob.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.