Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

The ads on this forum are getting a bit over the top

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

The ads on this forum are getting a bit over the top

Old 10-31-2015, 06:48 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts
Default The ads on this forum are getting a bit over the top

Today I came here and all I got was a blank page with a single ad for some lense cleaner. I tried three times to get through by reloading and starting at RCU instead of the forum address. Fourth time I got through without the ad redirect.

Im getting sick of this. They need to scale back on the ads, they are too intrusive, putting them in our posts is just out of line too.
Even yahoo wouldn't allow that on their site, you could report it.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:08 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

When you get the blank page with the ad right in the middle, hit the previous page arrow. That works for me. It seems they have it set so that when you go to a post it automatically advances you a page to the ad. Just another slimy advertising trick.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:41 AM
thecommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crius
When you get the blank page with the ad right in the middle, hit the previous page arrow. That works for me. It seems they have it set so that when you go to a post it automatically advances you a page to the ad. Just another slimy advertising trick.
Ditto for me. Takes over the entire page and then I have to flip back a page to see what I chose.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:43 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Lots of these adds are video, which really chews thru my data allowance on my mobile devices. They also tend to cause firefox to grind to a halt...
Old 10-31-2015, 09:35 AM
LarryE519

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate them, but they are a new fact of life. You may not realize but Google and Double-Click are responsible for over 90% of all on line ads. That's why Apple is trying so hard to get the ad blocking software into the new phones, to keep Google from making money. So remember every time you use Google to search for something they are adding it to your cookie list and they will continue to "target" ads as you surf.

I am sure the folks here at RC Universe are getting something to help off set the server fees for the site.

Personally I would donate a few bucks to them to keep the site ad free, but that's just me.

If anyone knows someone up top, it may be a suggestion they should consider. As well as small "donation" when you post something to the "for sale" board.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:02 AM
StumpyBloke

Videos ads should be banned outright...and everywhere.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:10 AM
RustedRC

Not sure what browser you guys are using or even if there is a mobile version but with the chrome browser you can block ads on specific pages with a ad blocker. i use this site often and have mine setup to show ads on most pages to help support like in the forums section but not in the buy and sell section. so if an add is trouble some you can block it from the page. show some support and don't block all the ads just the annoying ones. it can be handy for those other sites that re direct to more than on page.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:15 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Having to use an Ad blocker is defeating the purpose - the forum need revenue from the ads to pay its way. Our problem is that the Ads are too intrusive.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:58 PM
Greg Briley

Getting ready to post to the ad and I see a honey baked ham coupon, really. people will try to sell anything. as to the lens cleaner. if your that low on funds and you need to sell something like that, you can stand out front of wal-mart and ask for money and its a sure thing. Whats up with people thinking they need to sell there plane they don't want anymore for the same price that you can get a bran spankin new one, with a warranty delivered to your front door. Retail is marked up so high.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:28 PM
purgatory

I agree with the others, its become more than just annoying, makes it frustrating to read posts, or to post. Sometimes, I just don't have the time or patience, and simply exit the site.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:37 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you don't donate to RCSCALEBUILDER.COM after three posts you will be banned from posting. This could happen to this site so stop your whining.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:27 PM
Pete Lane
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by flycatch
If you don't donate to RCSCALEBUILDER.COM after three posts you will be banned from posting. This could happen to this site so stop your whining.
How else are they going to pay the bills around here......millions of dollars of planes sold and all for free
unless you want more services.

Plus one.

Plane
Old 10-31-2015, 05:56 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Perhaps it is time for one of us to form a independent forum; bare bones informational sort of thing. There used to be more than a couple but they went under years ago.

Jerry
Old 10-31-2015, 06:48 PM
toshik

Same thing here for at least a few weeks.
Ad on every side and in the middle of the text I guess is fine, but a blank page with a single ad is over the top.

Last edited by toshik; 10-31-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:02 PM
TheBennyB

Maybe it's time to fire up armornuts on yahoo again?
Old 10-31-2015, 07:53 PM
jim billings

I see an ad at the beginning and end of each page and nowhere else in the thread. Those ads are easy to ignore and don't cause me any grief. If you read the ads, it's your problem if you feel they infringe on your enjoyment of the replies.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:18 PM
Tanque

Originally Posted by jim billings
I see an ad at the beginning and end of each page and nowhere else in the thread. Those ads are easy to ignore and don't cause me any grief. If you read the ads, it's your problem if you feel they infringe on your enjoyment of the replies.
Yep, as far as I'm concerned they're wasted effort on the part of advertisers, I've never bought a thing based on an advert I've seen on the 'net...I have become pretty adept at just ignoring them; basically I see them as necessary visual noise.

Jerry
Old 11-01-2015, 06:21 AM
oliveDrab

Note to Moderator : Please delete this post and the attachment showing the young woman with the large rack. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	8718701439675743056.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	2128606  

Last edited by oliveDrab; 11-01-2015 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:05 AM
Tanque

Originally Posted by oliveDrab
Note to Moderator : Please delete this post and the attachment showing the young woman with the large rack. Thanks.
Point made, let's not be too hasty...

Jerry
Old 11-01-2015, 07:31 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is annoying, but any site that is storage for pictures cost something to maintain.

There will come a time where the annoyance is not worth the effort, This forum will live or die on this simple fact. Its needs to be balanced, and in my opinion inserting adds into threads is not balanced. They are monetizing the thoughts and Ideas of others, and there is something fundamentally wrong with that in my book .

I do appreciate an open forum that is not heavily edited or moderated and am willing to put up with a bit of advertising. I hope whoever is in charge of this is paying attention, and will realize there will be a tipping point in this. If it goes past the tipping point, alternate sites will be chosen or established.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:06 AM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Iam older and not a computer programing wizz but you would think the ones here that are could at least make the advertising have them placed around the sides or top or bottom of the page and not right in the middle of our posts . It only took 10 or so years for these same programming idiots to get the bugs out of this site so lets give them some slack here and give them another 10 years to get this advertising thing figured out too ! lmao If you are reading this post and one of the programing idiots i have mentioned sorry but i think this new move on your part will only get worse in time to come .lmao joe
Old 11-02-2015, 07:48 AM
Tanque

Originally Posted by joebahl
Iam older and not a computer programing wizz but you would think the ones here that are could at least make the advertising have them placed around the sides or top or bottom of the page and not right in the middle of our posts . It only took 10 or so years for these same programming idiots to get the bugs out of this site so lets give them some slack here and give them another 10 years to get this advertising thing figured out too ! lmao If you are reading this post and one of the programing idiots i have mentioned sorry but i think this new move on your part will only get worse in time to come .lmao joe

I am older and I have been a programmer most of my life. Dynamic content on a web page isn't necessarily easy or fun!
I really do tune out most of the adds, the winsome lass above might be an exception ( hold the dirty old man remarks - you know you all do the same ) but when taking a look-see at the site on my eye fone ANY ad can be annoying...

Jerry
Old 11-02-2015, 04:47 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes for me it is on my Ipad where this is the most annoying. Limited screen space and the Ad in the thread keeps its size forcing the the text to reformat itself into something that is almost impossible to read.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:07 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Maybe it's time to fire up armornuts on yahoo again?
Oh man... now THOSE were the days! I joined in 2003-2004 and it was a MUST to log in there everyday to check out the activity.

Jeff
Old 11-03-2015, 06:30 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

I actually saw an ad here that interested me, but when I clicked on it for more info they wouldn't show me the product unless I gave up my email address. No thank you. Click "close this tab".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.