Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

i want a Sherman tank

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 06:46 AM
chris2pher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My opinion was directed towards no one person . The information I received was very helpful. But the fact is no one recommended a cheaper version the price kept goin up
Old 11-17-2015, 07:23 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
Paint can be painted over, even the hideous mud.

the big point, taigen makes the best sherman for RTR but its too costly to buy and have to gut out to make tamiya IR battle ready, so if there could be an offering of tanks without the electronics, im sure it would draw alot of us tamiya battle guys in.

maybe just ones that suffered failures and the electronics were removed and sold at discount.
considdering what we pay for a barc4 and bendini, or an IBU, or clark system, 350 -400 for a bare sherman would be an excellent target price. i dont know if Im dreaming at that price point or if its realistic, im looking at overall cost to get a tamiya compatible sherman together, and at that price, it still comes in higher than a real tamiya sherman kit and its radio, which most seem to use as the standard to compare any tank model to.

FYI, I can get a mato metal lower, gear boxes and a nick aguilar hull and turret kit for any sherman and have a tank at about the same price. All electronics aside. Hence my comparison on price.
You can find our Shermans for around $450-480ish atm from places like Artistic Hobbies with free shipping too Not too terrible for a ready built tank with metal parts already installed and ready for you. You can then sell off the parts you dont need (radio system, smoke unit, recoil etc) and your cost goes down even more. More than 90% of the time when I get asked about Tamiya IR they want something like the MAKO2 where they can just plug something in and go versus the whole compatibility thing. Gotta remember that most people dont have large groups like we do to play with I have started slipping papers in the boxes to tell them to come join us here though! Maybe we should make a sticky asking for locations of newbies to try and keep a database?
The mass majority of tankers are airsoft users and RTR tankers. The kits are ok and our Tiger 1 kit sells ok, but people like the ready built tanks... a lot. Most of the guys walking into hobby shops see these and are hooked instantly. The younger guys just dont have the time/patience to build them like we do either so RTR is what they look for. Heck I still havent even built my Tamiya gifted to me a few years ago before I started working for IMEX/Taigen due to time restraints. I will however look into unpainted or electronic-less tanks, but this might be something to contact me over instead. It is hard sometimes as we are getting much better with quality control which means I have less defectives to work with I did just look in the back and I have nothing for S&D at this time for Shermans, sorry
Originally Posted by purgatory
Being new to the hobby, main reason I ordered the Taigen Early Tiger metal version. Didn't' have the skills or knowledge to do the conversion work, perhaps one day I will. If there was ever an option from Taigen to convert the plastic upper to metal, I would be ordering it. To me, and again, I don't know much, its the weakest part of what I feel is a good quality product for the price. And like many beginners, I needed something RTR out of t he box.

Later, hoping to evolve to more complex r/c tanking. Would love to build one from a kit, like some of the pictures I have seen at this forum. Not quite there yet.
You my friend are part of the vast majority of tankers. They just want to get into the hobby now and start tanking in a few days! After they understand how the tanks work and meeting fellow tankers on a forum they can trust (RCUniverse) they will expand to different tanks and different brands. Expanding the hobby is the larger goal. With more tankers comes more customers for everyone, not just us. Support for a new and different hobby is a large help too, sometimes just having someone to ask what a certain wire does or even what type of batteries we suggest for upgrades can really help too. Having someone offer to make you a video on how to fix an item is a great help too, I love those opportunities to help everyone.
Originally Posted by Panther G
Don't want to burst anyone's bubble but at a 500.00 budget for just a little more money you can get a Tamiya Sherman kit and not have to fuss with any upgrades unless you want to customize it. And a transmitter ans receiver can be had for very little extra.
Yea we are a bit less than that with a radio system and a paint job with TOP NOTCH customer service and a presence in the hobby that is actively trying to promote and encourage a more active community. Ours also comes fully decked out with metal parts you dont need to upgrade. Our parts have improved a lot since the earlier days and we do not share our upgrades with HL at all. The T34 and Sherman are in a whole different class compared to what we made before and future tanks will share this as we will continue to push for more durability and quality. If you have any suggestions please PM me or email me, I would love to hear them good or bad.
Originally Posted by chris2pher
The problem I see here is no one here is thinking about the hobby .. I've been in and out of the rc hobby since 86 and this is the number one problem with this hobby. Your not helping people by telling them what you would do or push them to buy the higher end only .. We all want the best but that doesn't mean the cheaper models can't be just as fun .. don't downtalk people cause there model isnt all top end nor should we downtalk affordable rtr brands that are there to help people get into the hobby or just be in it at an affordable price
Its ok my friend, this is normal and I think it is actually a very calm brand vs brand haha. Trust me, I usually dont even jump in on recommendations but this one is very cordial compared with others. As for hobby shops it will be mostly us and Tamiya you will find in NA. IMEX is a hobby distributor and has been in the business for over 40 years now and bossman and I are doing our best to get more tanks into hobby shops. We promote at all shops, I recommend them here (as I plugged Artistic Hobbies above), and in fact I visited 4 last week on my trip to Danville on the way up showing our new tanks and our 72nd scale IR battle tanks coming soon. No hate here between us normals, just a friendly discussion
Originally Posted by YHR
I don't see any down talking going on here? So I am not sure what brought that comment on. 80% of the tanks I purchase our cheap plastic Heng Longs. Why, because at the end of the day it is the upgrading that is the most fun aspect of the hobby for me..

My website is more focused on inexpensive DIY Tutorials then it is on selling anything so again a little confused about the comment no one is thinking about the hobby, not to mention Erik's tireless effort on behalf of Taigen.

Seems to me this thread has generated a lot of information as to what is out there, which based on the title is what was asked for
Thanks for the comment Dan! You guys know how much I try! And yes I agree that upgrades are fun and I personally would love to start with a plastic tank and work my way up but man do these guys love metal tanks!! Crazy right? Once again Dan, I welcome your comments too, they are much welcomed as well. Before you do your next Sherman give me a call ok?
Old 11-17-2015, 07:45 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Heng Long Plastic Sherman is pretty good, and yes it should have been brought up as a viable option. Just so you know I pretty much always start out with a stock Heng Long, and I would even get the nylon gears as the pot metal gears are noisy and not a whole bunch better.

ERIK

I always have a tank on the bench. Next one is the Taigen T-34 hull getting an Su85 treatment..
Old 11-17-2015, 08:04 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by YHR
The Heng Long Plastic Sherman is pretty good, and yes it should have been brought up as a viable option. Just so you know I pretty much always start out with a stock Heng Long, and I would even get the nylon gears as the pot metal gears are noisy and not a whole bunch better.

ERIK

I always have a tank on the bench. Next one is the Taigen T-34 hull getting an Su85 treatment..
Oh man.... I could use one of those.... I've been trying to get more Russian armor myself but everyone wants German! You are going to make a build thread right? I will follow it close.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:21 AM
YHR

Yes, It has been awhile, but I will take pictures as I work through this. I had previously modded the plastic wheel solid wheels from a Trumpeter kit to work with this hull so that is all done, and probably will get missed on the build thread unless I find a picture on the camera that might have captured this. I am going to b using servo recoil, servo gun elevation and servo traverse on the cannon, so there should be some things of interest to others. Got a few new ideas to try out in this regard, using some gimbals from an old Heng long radio that will give me pretty free movement in all directions on the cannon.

Cheers
Old 11-17-2015, 08:43 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with Dan. This thread has been very informative. Although, Chris does have a point about the prices, but I think that's more about the market for the Sherman right now.

Currently, there are only a few Sherman's on the market, and only one of them is what I would consider affordable for RTR.

Heng Long: ~$150-$300 Depending on what upgrades it comes with. RTR, might have factory defects, spare parts are cheap

Tamiya: ~$450 from Banzai Hobby(with transmitter), $500 from AAF(without transmitter), assembly required.

Taigen: ~$600-$640 Depending on airsoft or IR, RTR, rock solid metal lower hull, quick release upper hull stock, steel gearboxes, 360 turret

Mato: ~$650-$700 (onsale for $617-$665 ATM) for unpainted/painted, RTR,100% All-Metal Tank Body, Adjustable idler Wheel System, Actual Sherman Sound, Casting/Serial Number on Tank, Hatches open/close, Brass Gearbox, Turret 360-degree Rotation, Proportional Speeds, Infrared Battle System compatible with Tamiya and Henglong, your choice of track style

For me, I still can't justify dropping $500+ at one time just to get a tank that can reliably do more than just drive in the house. That's why I'm building a Taigen Sherman over the course of several months to spread the cost out.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:51 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by Roboticus_Prime
I agree with Dan. This thread has been very informative. Although, Chris does have a point about the prices, but I think that's more about the market for the Sherman right now.

Currently, there are only a few Sherman's on the market, and only one of them is what I would consider affordable for RTR.

Heng Long: ~$150-$300 Depending on what upgrades it comes with. RTR, might have factory defects, spare parts are cheap

Tamiya: ~$450 from Banzai Hobby(with transmitter), $500 from AAF(without transmitter), assembly required.

Taigen: ~$600-$640 Depending on airsoft or IR, RTR, rock solid metal lower hull, quick release upper hull stock, steel gearboxes, 360 turret

Mato: ~$650-$700 (onsale for $617-$665 ATM) for unpainted/painted, RTR,100% All-Metal Tank Body, Adjustable idler Wheel System, Actual Sherman Sound, Casting/Serial Number on Tank, Hatches open/close, Brass Gearbox, Turret 360-degree Rotation, Proportional Speeds, Infrared Battle System compatible with Tamiya and Henglong, your choice of track style

For me, I still can't justify dropping $500+ at one time just to get a tank that can reliably do more than just drive in the house. That's why I'm building a Taigen Sherman over the course of several months to spread the cost out.
Remember, our prices on our site are list prices. Check our vendors for the best prices That is one of the ways we support the LHS is to let them have the best pricing. Artistic has a great deal right now with free shipping for under $500: http://www.artistichobbies.com/prodd...?prod=TAG13045 and Diamond Hobby has one for under $500 as well too: http://www.diamondhobby.com/boats-ta...k-1-16th-scale all with metal parts and RTR. I would consider that a good deal IMO. Remember to call me too! If I can't get you a good price I can send you to the best one atm! I always hook up my RCU members! Just lmk your screen name when you call and lets talk!
Old 11-17-2015, 09:00 AM
YHR

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Remember, our prices on our site are list prices. Check our vendors for the best prices That is one of the ways we support the LHS is to let them have the best pricing. Artistic has a great deal right now with free shipping for under $500: http://www.artistichobbies.com/prodd...?prod=TAG13045 and Diamond Hobby has one for under $500 as well too: http://www.diamondhobby.com/boats-ta...k-1-16th-scale all with metal parts and RTR. I would consider that a good deal IMO. Remember to call me too! If I can't get you a good price I can send you to the best one atm! I always hook up my RCU members! Just lmk your screen name when you call and lets talk!
Mato has gone the Hobby grade radio with the Clark board configured RTR so you get Tamiya battling and decent sound out of the box so that is a hell of a deal as well.

I would like to keep this place objective in our promotion of products.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:19 AM
chris2pher

This has turned out to be a great thread about the different brands of Sherman tanks at the current time ..
Old 11-17-2015, 10:04 AM
Imex-Erik

Aftermarket boards are not a definite no, I have spoken to all the big guys out there (except El Mod) and have toyed with the idea. I'm not saying its a no, just gotta get a few other priorities done first I would love to carry some IBU or Clark boards but taking on the support for the large amount of tanks we sell is a tremendous strain. Selling things without proper support is something I am not comfortable with at this time. We would need a dedicated person just to answer emails alone, not including the phones. We move large quantities, so support would be a big strain.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:35 AM
YHR

Agreed. electronics are the most complex thing to support. Have you ever though of selling tanks sans electronics??, The stock stuff all ends up in the garbage at my house. I am not sure how much capital you have sunk into that part of these tanks but I bet there is a small market for tanks without electronics.

If Heng Long, or Taigen offered tanks for $30 less that had no radio and electronics that is the option I would choose to buy, Mato is offering this an option now.

Last edited by YHR; 11-17-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:01 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by YHR
Agreed. electronics are the most complex thing to support. Have you ever though of selling tanks sans electronics??, The stock stuff all ends up in the garbage at my house. I am not sure how much capital you have sunk into that part of these tanks but I but you honestly I bet there is a small market for tanks without electronics.

If Heng Long, or Taigen offered tanks for $30 less that had no radio and electronics that is the option I would choose to buy, Mato is offering this an option now.
Yes I have actually put serious thought into this one, but the vast requests are for RTR from both dealers and retail customers. Just like airsoft is well over 95% of sales as well too (who would think?). The biggest request I get is sound and I am already working on that. In fact one of the...."boards" I have here sound better than some aftermarket ones. Plus, we move large quantities of tanks, not just a few like other vendors. I would then have to have on hand some kind of upgrade board to offer.... Then it comes back to the support. I like to be in touch with our guys and taking over something big like an aftermarket control board would remove me from my other duties here at IMEX/Taigen and I sure am getting a lot lately! If the vendor wanted to take support requests direct from me I think it would be a different story. You also must remember that if it isn't plug and play issues are going to be had. Most people can't even solder anymore
Old 11-17-2015, 12:51 PM
YHR

You don't need to tell me the importance of Plug and Play. IF you guys would have went with standard electronics I could be selling plug and play upgrades to Taigen users to make it an easy swap. Currently I have to sell the old RX18 to them and then a Hobby grade radio. It still ends up being plug and play, but there are a lot or emails between myself and the customers. That is why I have always been the sole source for the BARC. Customers need support, and if they don't get it, the best electronics in the world will end up in a drawer somewhere.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:52 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There really is only 1 other cheap option and that is a bone stock HL Sherman. This has been said but once about six hours pass they quickly become not so cheap and the money starts to get spent anyway in upgrades or repairs. As I said with a budget of 500 Tamiya should not be overlooked. If you said 200 then that was a different story. My concern is the hobby, why point someone towards a lesser product that will most likely need work ten minutes OTB when you can learn much more about the actually hobby buy building the entire kit.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:05 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

The problem there arrises with the Sherman, tamiya picked the worst possible prototype to model.
If they had made a 75 or 76 the whole field would be different but they picked the ugly step child to produce. In reality, they should revise their kit and produce an E8. But if you want a sherman you recognize from the war, HL or Taigen or mato are your choices. Each has a niche.

From my standpoint, the effort i put into builds and the nice models i produce, get craped on from the sole stand point of why did i use a hl chaissis. And while I do point out phisical drawbacks to the light weight and cheapyness of the chassis, its cheap to get started and repair when it breaks, and it will. But I have decided for the effort I invest i will spend a bit more on a quality chassis to start with and build from there. Mato or taigen probably for the next one.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:02 PM
chris2pher

I ordered the taigen Sherman and the delivery is expected next week ..

The full metal mato Sherman's are very nice but at 660 and 616 with 60 shipping there over my budget. All plastic isn't something I'm interested in with full metal and hybrid tanks available.. my first choice turned out to be my best choice even with all the research I've done .

Thanks again everyone for the feedback and opinions ..
Old 11-19-2015, 06:32 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Did you order airsoft or IR?
Old 11-19-2015, 06:45 AM
Imex-Erik

Glad we could help! Congrats on the new tank, though be warned they are addictive!
Old 11-19-2015, 07:16 AM
chris2pher

Originally Posted by Crius
Did you order airsoft or IR?
I ordered the airsoft version ..
Old 11-22-2015, 12:55 PM
azmetro

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Glad we could help! Congrats on the new tank, though be warned they are addictive!

Isn't that the truth............ addictive and expensive

.........And hello, my first post on the forum and a proud owner of a modified Taigen Tiger I with another one(or four) on the way. Great discussion all
Old 11-22-2015, 03:02 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by chris2pher
I ordered the airsoft version ..
When it comes to detailing there are two kits you might find handy. The first is the M26 Pershing accessory kit form Imex. It has three crates, six .50 cal ammo boxes, 4 .30 cal ammo boxes, a first aid kit, another TC, another .50 cal with mount and some other useful bits. The second is the Heng Long Sherman accessory kit, which I just ordered myself and will do a video so you can see it when it arrives. That comes with jerry cans and ammo boxes and also some packs and stuff for additional stowage. You can see that set here

http://www.matomart.com/prodview.php?p=2370

and here's a photo

Old 11-22-2015, 05:27 PM
chris2pher

Originally Posted by Crius
When it comes to detailing there are two kits you might find handy. The first is the M26 Pershing accessory kit form Imex. It has three crates, six .50 cal ammo boxes, 4 .30 cal ammo boxes, a first aid kit, another TC, another .50 cal with mount and some other useful bits. The second is the Heng Long Sherman accessory kit, which I just ordered myself and will do a video so you can see it when it arrives. That comes with jerry cans and ammo boxes and also some packs and stuff for additional stowage. You can see that set here

http://www.matomart.com/prodview.php?p=2370

and here's a photo

www.rctanksofokc.com has accessories as well .. thanks for sharing