Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

VS Tank Pro Air-Soft Abrams Electronics Upgrade

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

VS Tank Pro Air-Soft Abrams Electronics Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 06:36 PM
NZSpiderman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VS Tank Pro Air-Soft Abrams Electronics Upgrade

Hi,

I am new to this site and joined due to my on-going project of upgrading, detailing and improving my VS Tank Pro Air-soft Abrams M1A2. I have been steadily detailing and improving the tank over the past few years and have now decided i want to improve the actual tank operation. My tank is 7 years old and came with the 6MCU push button controller () and a 6MCU PCB main board ()

I would like to have a more proportional control of the tank and am looking at the stick controller options available and hope someone on this forum may be able to advise me.

There seems to be three different sick control hand units available from VS Tank:

1. VTX-7 for 7MCU PCBs (black with a metallic gray front panel ())
2. VTX-10 for 10MCU PCBs (black with a metallic gray front panel())
3. Unknown Name - White and silver controller for 2.4G PCB ()

My two options for this upgrade are:
1. There is a PCB main board available which is apparently 10MCU/2.4G () and I am considering purchasing it to swap out with my current 6MCU PCB board, but, I am not sure of which controller I should purchase with it. I am also unsure as to whether or not it will work at all.

2. The second option is to simply purchase the 7MCU controller, however, there does not appear to be a 7MCU PCB, only the 6MCU board that my tank has.

Can anyone out there help or advise me?
Old 11-20-2015, 04:36 AM
Cold Comfort
My Feedback: (1)

Hi NZSpiderman, welcome to the form. Most on here are into the 1/16 scale tanks, I believe only a few like myself have any 1/24 VS tanks. I have scales from 1/72 rc tanks to 1/6 monster. 1/24 is my favorite scale, too bad VS tank can't decide what it wants to do. Just when you think it's dead for sure with not a peep for months or a year, it will put something out way behind release date by like a year or more.
Anyway, To answer your question, I would put my money into getting a clark board for it. He makes some for VS tanks and it would be a huge difference giving true proportional speed and sound and much more. You would have to get a 2.4 radio for it, but they can be cheap at hobby king.
The only pro about changing your current transmitter to a newer model is getting rid of the buttons for stick type control, not much else. To get their 2.4 radio means getting a new board as well and not worth it, even that board and radio do not have true proportional speed, crazy I know.
I have over 30 1/24 scale tanks none have a Clark board , but there are you tube videos that show the clark board in vs tanks . Also there is a booklet put out by RC press I got mine on amazon, that is for VS tank upgrades and mods. I didn't find it very good for myself, but it does tell how to improve the airsoft gun, all but 1 of mine are IR so...
So tired of waiting for VS to put out new stuff that I've scratched built a Nashorn tank and am now working on a sdfz 222 scout car in 1/24th scale.
Hope this was of some help.

Greg
Old 11-21-2015, 06:57 PM
NZSpiderman

Hi Greg,

Thank you for the informative reply. I remember reading somewhere about the stick controller they do still having a stepped motor response but I assumed that was not with the 10MCU PCB.

I have looked at the Clark option but am a little put off by the price. I was tempted by the self leveling gun and turret option but to be honest I cant see that working on my Abrams for two reasons. First there does not seem to be any usable spare space in the turret to mount the additional PCB, and secondly, the gun elevation system is too slow on the VS tank with the motor driven set up. In addition to this, after taking mine to bits to repaint and detail, the elevation function seems very much reduced and running incorrectly. I have changed the spring with a new one from VS Tank and that has not altered or helped. I cannot work out what I have assembled incorrectly. Any help would be gratefully recieved.

I am assuming you have the M1A2 abrams as well. Can I ask what modifications you have done to yours?

Finally, I have contacted VS Tank on a number of occasions to enquire about metal tracks, airsoft gun recoil function etc... Their customer service seems poor at best, and i rarely gat a response from them. The guys at ToyEast.com seem more helpful, but their detailed knowledge base of the tank seems limited (presumably due to the huge product base they hold).

Anyhow, hope to hear back from you Greg.

Cheers
Old 11-22-2015, 08:45 AM
Cold Comfort
My Feedback: (1)

Other than replacing any that came with rubber tracks over to individual plastic track links I have not done much else. I do not have the M1A2 as I like the WW2 era tanks.
Your decrease in elevation might be wiring in the way. The first all black stick controllers will work on in place of the push button controller. I don't think you can get those anymore though. The only way I have been able to get a Vstank true proportional speed has been to use the board that is on the drive motors of a forces of valor tank.
It is a shame that Vs has such bad customer service the quality of these tanks is very good. I held off getting 1/16 scale tanks because I like the 1/24 scale better, but with such slow new releases from Vs I eventually gave in and started getting 1/16 as well.

Greg