Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

What transmitter for tanks

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

What transmitter for tanks

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 05:06 PM
chris2pher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What transmitter for tanks

I know they need to be self centering but could you name a few models around 100 ..
Old 11-24-2015, 05:31 PM
Tanker 10

I like the Futaba T4YF with the addition of the self centering left stick and fire button for the cannon and machine gun. $129.00 Or the Tamiya Attack 4YWD, about $150.00. Both are 2.4Gig radios. There are many other cheap ones that work just as well. But you have to set trims on the computer using their cable. Not very handy if you want to make trim setting changes in the field. But they can be had in the $30-40 range, are 2.4 gig and in many instances are 6 channel.

Last edited by Tanker 10; 11-24-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:35 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Futaba skysport 2.4. Most TX's will only have one stick that self centers as these are usually used in r/c aviation and they have one stick on a ratchet for throttle.
Here are the radio and parts for the futaba to convert the other stick to self centering. Just a lever and a spring.

http://shop.aaftankmuseum.com/Produc...tCode=FUTK4200

http://shop.aaftankmuseum.com/Produc...tCode=HSP00500
Old 11-24-2015, 06:25 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Hobby King T6A is inexpensive at $30, and for that $30 you get a 6 channel programmable 2.4 ghz radio with channels 5 and 6 having proportional knobs to control servos. Only downside is that you have to hook it up to a computer to make changes, but what that does is give you an easier to understand user interface that makes programming the radio so much easier then trying to remember button pushes and staring at some poorly lit LCD screen.

Extra receivers are $10 and the self centering kit can be purchased for less then $5. It is a super tank radio , and because it is so inexpensive you don't have much at risk when you take it apart to add some firing buttons.

That is my choice, but there are a lot of really decent radios for under $100 now. Again always factor in the cost of an extra receiver, because if you are like the rest of us you will probably need a dozen or more before you are done.,
Old 11-25-2015, 09:37 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Spektrum has a new radio out called the DXE.

It has 6 channels, self centering sticks (without having to buy any extra parts or open your radio case to install them (which normally will void the warranty)), Its' new, and has the latest DSMX technology, costs 89 bucks...and comes with a receiver you can sell off for 30 bucks (or 59 if you buy the tx alone). It uses standard Spektrum receivers. Also uses the 10 buck Hobby king receivers just fine.

Pretty cool looking radio too, very sleek. Likely is at your local hobby shop too, so if you have any problems they will help.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:58 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff489
Spektrum has a new radio out called the DXE.

It has 6 channels, self centering sticks (without having to buy any extra parts or open your radio case to install them (which normally will void the warranty)), Its' new, and has the latest DSMX technology, costs 89 bucks...and comes with a receiver you can sell off for 30 bucks (or 59 if you buy the tx alone). It uses standard Spektrum receivers. Also uses the 10 buck Hobby king receivers just fine.

Pretty cool looking radio too, very sleek. Likely is at your local hobby shop too, so if you have any problems they will help.
Just a warning! Please visit your LHS first before using this TX. This thing is extremely uncomfortable I actually was looking at one when I was at Anderson's RC recently and was not pleased. It just has a very boxy feel to it. Otherwise the whole smartphone connection idea is an awesome one!
Old 11-25-2015, 03:04 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The futaba Skysport 2.4's are the easiest to use and very affordable. Unless you have the need for more than 4 or 5 channles this is all you really need. You can buy on Transmitter and many receivers and just bind the Tx to as many tanks as you want. This can be done with many of the Tx;s but some of the digital ones can be very confusing to setup. Try a Skysport first then you can go big if the hobby takes you further.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:53 AM
Jeff489

Please visit your LHS first before using this TX.
Um, that was my point in my previous post when I said...
Likely is at your local hobby shop too, so if you have any problems they will help.
LOL, I wouldn't necessarily issue a "warning" over this. It's not a $3,000.00 radio, (which in contrast, IS heavy, boxy and uncomfortable to hold). I have handled a DXE and it felt fine; regardless, I realize that not everyone may hold the same opinion about tx ergonomics I do. Which is why I suggested you go to your local hobby shop to educate yourself with some hands-on experience, and ask all the questions you may have. Who knows, you might find something else to buy, I know it always happens to me when I wander into the local hobby shop.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:57 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff489
Um, that was my point in my previous post when I said...

LOL, I wouldn't necessarily issue a "warning" over this. It's not a $3,000.00 radio, (which in contrast, IS heavy, boxy and uncomfortable to hold). I have handled a DXE and it felt fine; regardless, I realize that not everyone may hold the same opinion about tx ergonomics I do. Which is why I suggested you go to your local hobby shop to educate yourself with some hands-on experience, and ask all the questions you may have. Who knows, you might find something else to buy, I know it always happens to me when I wander into the local hobby shop.
You still have local hooby shops? What are they?
Old 11-29-2015, 01:29 PM
chris2pher

will any transmitter work well with the clark TK22 board ?
Old 11-29-2015, 01:35 PM
Martellus

Any hobby grade radio will work fine with clark as long as it has enough channels
Old 11-29-2015, 01:51 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

OK, Chris, I made a video about the transmitters I've played around with so far. There are a lot of other guys here that have tried the Futaba and Spektrum and I'm hoping they'll chime in to provide info on those. If you have specific questions fire away. You can never have too much info when making a decision like this. Again, you have to ask yourself what you want your TX to do. If you want a budget TX so you can have a TX for each tank that's one road, but if you want to do a lot of cool stuff on just a few tanks that all run on the same TX that's a horse of a different color. I've been trying to follow the "one tank - one TX" doctrine, except for the 9XR, which would be kind of a waste to limit to just one RC vehicle, especially with it's model matching feature.

This is a bit longer than my usual video, but there's a lot of info to cover. Hope it helps, and if you do end up with one of these radios i'll be able to provide some limited support. Never forget that I'm still a newbie myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG3n9Njzwbc&feature=youtu.be
Old 11-29-2015, 02:43 PM
chris2pher

Something around 100 with receiver & Easy self centering throttle conversion.

I only need it for the Sherman and tugboat I own.

Last edited by chris2pher; 11-29-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:31 PM
Jeff489

You still have local hooby shops? What are they?
LOL there's still one in Torrance...or so I hear.

Last edited by Jeff489; 11-29-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:36 PM
Jeff489

You might post this question on the Radio sub forum. Doubtless, you'll get more responses than you want there.

As to the Spektrums, I've got a couple, and they are pretty easy to perform a self center mod on. Just stick a phillips screwdriver through a small hole in the back of the radio and tighten. No parts, no surgery, no voided warranty.

The older Spektrums did not have the self center option using a screw. You had to install a cam and spring.

As for Clark boards, a few guys have had problems getting them to work with any radio other than a FlySky 6 channel. I don't know why, but the FlySky made everything work.

Last edited by Jeff489; 11-29-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:47 PM
Crius

Originally Posted by chris2pher

I only need it for the Sherman and tugboat I own.
Take a look at this. If you think you can do this then I believe the HK6S will do everything you need. You'll have servo reverse at the TX in case you need it for the tank or the tugboat, and it's fairly cheap. Unfortunately they're only available from the global warehouse so that means at least $25 to $30 shipping for a $30 radio, but that's life in the global economy, eh? I have two of these and I like them very much. The self center lever is kind of a PITA but if you can do that I can even mail you a spring from an old HL TX if you need one. Can you run the tug with both joysticks self centered?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37GU4ri3ccs
Old 11-29-2015, 05:51 PM
Crius

Almost forgot, you can add the extra RX for the tug for less than $10, and it doesn't change shipping costs. At that price you might want to get two or three extras, eh?
Old 12-03-2015, 02:11 PM
thecommander

Here is the custom Futaba 4YF 2.4 GHz radio that I sell on my website. It is my #1 selling item for 5 years now. Link: http://www.rctankcommand.com/tank-radios.html I've converted too many to count...but it sure does make the RC tanking a lot more fun and easy. Here is a video too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYwbJph6NaU & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gFCd3DWxZU I use a "All in one control switch" that fires either the main gun or machine gun. Mine will cost a little more than your $100 limit, but it can run more than one tank. I sell extra receivers and all of your tanks can be run via the same transmitter ...one at a time. Email me at thecommandernj@aol,com or via my website.

Bob @ rctankcommand.com

Last edited by thecommander; 12-03-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:32 PM
Crius

So you bought a spectrum dx series, right? I don't know anything about those. Got a photo of it? Do you have a regular servo and a battery pack or power supply?
Old 08-27-2017, 11:36 AM
Desertrat99

This is something I am looking at now. I would like a radio / transmitter I can use on all my tanks, instead of one radio per tank. I currently have 3 Tamiya stock tanks, it will eventually have a few Taigen with either Clark or IBU2 boards.

Is ther e a radio that is compatible with at all the electronics? If I can get one that works with Tamiya and Clark that will work as well, since the IBU2 will only be in a single tank.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:13 PM
TheBennyB

Any hobby grade radio will work with all tanks. Clark and IBU can use more channels for novelty functions than needed on a Tamiya (only need 4ch). Just have to buy RX's for each tank and possibly rebind when changing tanks as well as possibly changing models on the TX. So if you get say a DX6 you'd switch from Tank A to Tank B, you'd go into your TX and select Model B and away you go. Like I said you may need to rebind though.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:16 AM
Cruiser133

I use the Spektrum DX6, actually I use two of them as I have that many tanks and the first one is full! I had to add the self centering sticks, but they are pretty tough units and programming is a breeze. A word of caution, I did buy an older Futaba FM radio for my Tamiya Pershing and Leopard 2 as you need that radio to get all the features to work with little fuss. The newer Futaba 2.4G looks the same, but it is not and will not play as nice as the Futaba 4YF FM with the R168 Receiver.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:48 AM
Desertrat99

Got it, now onto self centering sticks. Is there aftermarket kits for them or can you get a radio already with self centering sticks?

I am still looking around and there are Flysky, Futaba and Spektrum amongst many other options. It seems that Spektrum is one of the only ones that has model memory that is not going to break the bank.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:17 PM
Cruiser133

Originally Posted by Desertrat99
Got it, now onto self centering sticks. Is there aftermarket kits for them or can you get a radio already with self centering sticks?

I am still looking around and there are Flysky, Futaba and Spektrum amongst many other options. It seems that Spektrum is one of the only ones that has model memory that is not going to break the bank.
You can get the needed parts for the DX6 from Shapeways. They are pretty cheap.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:33 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Do yourself a favor and look into FRSky. It is the best system out there for the price (or even x5 times the price actually) for ANY of the models. The QX7 is a great radio for about $105 with spare parts available, dual self center sticks out of the box (replacement gimbals are only about $12 AND come self centered, only 1 screw to make it a throttle gimbal), one of the BEST RF links available, cheap receivers with TONS of range, and more features than you will know what to do with.
However, the FRSky system does come at a small price, the OS is complex and the learning curve is a bit steeper than most radios. However, even the entry model FRSky QX7 radio can do more than 99.99% of transmitters out there and do it better IMO. I am exclusively a FRSky user and cringe when I put something other than my beloved Taranis in my hands. I drive and fly with my Taranis and even my toy models are controlled with it (using the 4n1 RF module). Hall effect sensor gimbals are $20 if you want to upgrade and will make it feel like a $500+ radio in your hands.
Receivers are as low as $10 with replaceable u.fl connectors (or w.fl connectors for some) with tons of range and everything from PWM to PPM to Sbus is supported. Oh and you get RSSI (and even telemetry on the new receivers!) natively with almost all FRSky receivers, why anyone would use an aftermarket system that doesn't have a RSSI output is a bit crazy these days. I regularly do 1km about 4-5 days a week with ease on a XM+ receiver. No need to send in your transmitter or search all around China for a part as well, all parts are easy to install and available at Aloft Hobbies AND FRSky just opened a warehouse and hired support here in the US.
Sorry for the rant but IMO (and it is an opinion remember guys!) the FRSky system cannot be beat. Awesome price, great features, telemetry, replacement parts, cheap receivers, model matching, voice output (assign tank sounds or whatever you want to switches or inputs), vibration, RSSI, open source OpenTX software available, tons of documentation and videos online, and much more. Just think how cool it would be to assign some sounds to things on the tank... I even have mine play music while I play with my models.

If I had to recommend a brand other than FRSky I would recommend FlySky myself. They are a good established company with fair prices and a decent lineup. The RF link is pretty solid and there is rarely issues with them in my flying groups at least. Spektrum however is known for a pretty bad RF link and I wouldn't recommend them for anything farther than 100m or so max. With lots of metal and multipathing the RF link from Spektrum worries me enough not to recommend them to most users. Also, getting parts for either of these two brands can be difficult. FlySky is a hit or miss type of thing and Spektrum wants you to send it in or bring to a hobby shop for everything. I would rather just buy a $12 gimbal and install it with 2 plugs and a few screws and be done.

Disclaimer: I still own a few FlySky radios (i6, 9x, t6, etc) and even Radiolink transmitters (which are awesome if you dont like to program) but the Taranis is my baby. Trust me, once you go Taranis you never go back
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2_2_10.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	2229919   Click image for larger version

Name:	SKU15967908.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	2229920   Click image for larger version

Name:	x12s.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	2229921  

Last edited by Imex-Erik; 08-30-2017 at 12:35 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.