Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New Heng Long Marketing

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 03:20 AM
CaptainB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear I am not a minority on this subject............I run my tanks quite hard and over some pretty steep obstacles and I've not had a problem with the nylon clutch slipping. I think the marketing boys have got us all convinced that we need metal period and that's the goal we should chase. It has it's place I know but for a new person into the hobby, it's hard to tell if these so called upgrades are really that or just another source of problems to overcome. I guess this forum is really earning it's keep in trying to keep people well informed of these issues.

CaptB
Old 12-23-2015, 05:55 AM
Roboticus_Prime

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainB
Glad to hear I am not a minority on this subject............I run my tanks quite hard and over some pretty steep obstacles and I've not had a problem with the nylon clutch slipping. I think the marketing boys have got us all convinced that we need metal period and that's the goal we should chase. It has it's place I know but for a new person into the hobby, it's hard to tell if these so called upgrades are really that or just another source of problems to overcome. I guess this forum is really earning it's keep in trying to keep people well informed of these issues.

CaptB
The reason I use the metal upgrades on my tanks is because the grass around here is about 3-4 inches tall, even while mowed. It's very difficult to turn, and the tanks will float on top of the grass and get stuck quite often while stock. I agree though, adding metal upgrades opens a whole other can of worms that need to be delt with.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:41 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Capt., the need and desire for heavy duty boxes really stems from the IR battling crowd as these battles can will and are very hard on the plastic or nylon gear sets. This was mainly due to the snap shot or fan shot as it is called. Way too much abuse for nylon gears. So as far as that goes yes the nylons are nice and quiet and are sufficient for the occasional back yard bash or airsoft battle , but they will not stand up to the punishment placed on them in an IR style competition which is where the metal TU craze came from.
I have custom built boxes in my main Battling Panther with a crazy low gear reduction. much better for precision driving which we need on the battle field.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:46 AM
CaptainB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Panther G - yep I can see where your coming from their and you make a good case for the metal gearbox - I do get it. It's the other metal upgrades - road wheels, upper hull, turret etc that just seem to add potential problems. I guess a lot of it is just cosmetic and up to the individual.

cheers

CaptB
Old 12-24-2015, 08:42 AM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainB
Hi Panther G - yep I can see where your coming from their and you make a good case for the metal gearbox - I do get it. It's the other metal upgrades - road wheels, upper hull, turret etc that just seem to add potential problems. I guess a lot of it is just cosmetic and up to the individual.

cheers

CaptB

more metal = more weight. good or bad depending on perspective. I like the weight.

Difference...in the back yard...does the tank "float" on the grass and struggle up grassy hills? Or, does it sit down in the grass and chew through through it with enough traction to climb grassy hills?

Beauty of the hobby are the choices. Plastic is lighter and less straining on the gearbox and motors. Works well for well-groomed battle fields. Heavier is more strain but works better for driving in the city park or the lawn that hasn't been mowed for two weeks. The options let you pick your poison, so to speak.