Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Coming soon to a Tamiya Sherman near you...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Coming soon to a Tamiya Sherman near you...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 09:33 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coming soon to a Tamiya Sherman near you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPlwWmxikJ4
I don't normally post masters, but this isn't for a kit, it'll be offered as a fully assembled and painted unit including the servo. It uses the existing Tamiya mounts, can be run off a 5th or 6th channel if you have one or simply "Y"ed in with hull steering or turret rotation. Fully proportional, a turnigy chip can be used to change the speed or reverse from turret/hull input. The servo will be easily replaceable without altering assembly, although it should last forever, this is a very low demand application.

Should be ready to go soon, servos are inbound, I just need to finish some detail and get it into the production queue. The rubber band across the chest is just hold a retainer in place, every uniform and equipment detail will be taken care of.

This will be a limited run.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:44 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Omg that is so cool.
My dillema is i have to mill a slot and tab in the bottom of my figures at waist level so they "plug onto" the tamiya IR apple base when the apple is not plugged in.

I suspect I could not fit that figure on top of the IR base?

awesome work, really.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:09 AM
ausf

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
Omg that is so cool.
My dillema is i have to mill a slot and tab in the bottom of my figures at waist level so they "plug onto" the tamiya IR apple base when the apple is not plugged in.

I suspect I could not fit that figure on top of the IR base?

awesome work, really.
Thanks.

No, I have a non-animated Sherman TC that'll fit on the TBU base like the previous figures, but to accomodate the servo, this sits on the mount itself. You could switch it out easily enough by removing the two screws and installing the TBU mount, but can't switch on the fly (you'd have to unplug the servo anyway).

The other figure is lower and combat ready, basically a TBU base cover.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:07 PM
RichJohnson

Well, all but my stick sherman kit have the tbu base permanently installed in them. So a swap out is a no-go. The stock sherman kit will become an e8 as well some day too.

as for your "other figures", where do you sell them?
Old 12-18-2015, 12:36 PM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Moving apple bases to the loader's hatch is one of the options I look at. It works well on larger vehicles and allows a TC to enter the fray. Some US armored divisions had the TC out of the hatch as a standard rule.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:44 PM
ausf

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
Well, all but my stick sherman kit have the tbu base permanently installed in them. So a swap out is a no-go. The stock sherman kit will become an e8 as well some day too.

as for your "other figures", where do you sell them?
I'm not selling any at the moment. I've come to realize the RC tank market for figures is too small to sustain any real production as I would for the static world. This TC was actually a proposed master for a static kit that I wasn't using, so I adapted it for animation. The skeleton animated figures are too fragile for production.

When I finish this up, I'll get you photos of the other commander, it's a quarter fig holding the mike with the Pitt head master reworked with a steel helmet on top of the tanker.

I'll only be offering them painted. My normal target is the static figure world, so the sculpts are designed for that group. But honestly, I hate to see a beautiful tank with a gumbi-eyed TC in the cupola. Very few RC tankers want to invest the time and money in what good figure painting requires, so I'll offer them up as finished pieces in limited runs, that way, everyone is happy.

Just for clarity, I'm in know way trying to push you into something, but how are your TBUs mounted? The normal ones are a styrene bracket held in place with two screws from underneath. Tamiya even has a corresponding hole in the turret floor for the screw access (but not on their JS-2 for some reason). The stock kit comes with a blank bracket, without the cutout for the TBU base. This fig is designed to fit on that bracket and the turret lip with it's left and and right elbow. Drop the screws, unplug the servo, install the TBU, connect the wires. Not something you would do in the fieldon the fly, but nothing that couldn't be done easily on the bench the night before the battle day while charging batts.
Old 12-18-2015, 12:49 PM
ausf

Originally Posted by edoubleaz
Moving apple bases to the loader's hatch is one of the options I look at. It works well on larger vehicles and allows a TC to enter the fray. Some US armored divisions had the TC out of the hatch as a standard rule.
That's a good idea.

On two of my tanks, the Ersatz Panther and the '76 '34, I have the TBU bases fixed since the hatches aren't standard Tamiya.

The original idea for this fig was from Fury where Wardaddy spent all road march sitting high to scope the road or tend to the antenna. That's why it will probably be best hooked up to the hull steering, so he looks in the direction of the turn and returns to straight ahead when the tank does.

The servo could be modded to no stops and he could be full Linda Blair...

By the way, the slow scan in the video is intentional, it's the slow movement of the stick. It'll move as fast as you can, snapping back and forth if need be, I just didn't want it to look like he was having a seizure in the vid.

Last edited by ausf; 12-18-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:09 PM
RichJohnson

I only have one tamyia sherman turret. All the rest of my shermans have various modified henglong, mato, or nick aguilar turrets, and while all the turret gear like servos and such are bracketed and made to unscrw for servicing, the tbu bases, currenly mostly barc style, and a coulle tamiya, are all set in place with shims and firmly molded in with bondo to make them rigid.

putting the tbu in the turrets with two cirular hatches is what I should have done had I been thinking out of the box, I have a few of those. The rest will be oval hatches probably.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:38 PM
ausf

Gotcha.

There are too many variables to cover everything, that's why I usually stick with stock Tamiya. The Russian slips on the JS-2 TBU base, when assembled, it grips the hatch lid in the left hand. Each Tamiya varies with TBU positioning too, some north-south, some east-west, so I have to go by the manual.

Another reason why the market is even tighter.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:23 PM
edoubleaz

My last Pershing update I whimsically transplanted the TBU to the loaders hatch. The Idea was to add a TC and now I have great inspiration.

T-26E3 EDU 1 by Ethan Dunsford, on Flickr
Old 12-18-2015, 06:01 PM
ausf

Beauty of a Pershing. I don't have one, but it looks like the cupola is the same as the M4, just at a different angle (which doesn't matter to the figure).

Is the mount for the TBU the same as the Sherman? I think after the Tiger I they switched to the elliptical shaped mount, but the M4 comes with a blank one to accommodate their styrene 1/2 figure.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:50 PM
edoubleaz

Pershing Mount is slightly larger and angled differently. The Cupola on the real vehicle is the same and the Pershing is a separate assembly as the old Tamiya is integral to the hatch.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:56 PM
ksoc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fantastic!

You can add me to the list when they are ready to go......
Old 12-21-2015, 05:16 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Jeff that is one nice looking sculpt and animated as well, very cool!!!
Old 12-25-2015, 05:44 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

THIS is great!

Jeff

Last edited by Panther F; 12-26-2015 at 05:32 AM.