Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Help my son and I figure this out

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Help my son and I figure this out

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 08:20 AM
Native

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help my son and I figure this out

I've been looking through the forum posts and can't really find much on how rc tanks run. I keep coming across ibu kk etc. Is there a all in one type book or post that explains the inner and outer workings of the rc tank? We've been into rc planes, helis, and cars and there's always tons of info. The tank side of things seems very underground.

Jon
Old 12-31-2015, 08:34 AM
Dropship Ace

For me the experience was very much trial and error (heavy on the error). If there is a comprehensive how to, I would have love to have known about it a year ago. I doubt there would be a go-to book for RC tanking, this hobby is probably the smallest just after RC Subs.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:45 AM
Darryl Usher

The manual for Tamiya Tanks is on the internet it will give you some info on operation .
Darryl
Old 12-31-2015, 09:26 AM
Native

What is and why do some upgrade parts? For instance I see IBU2, KK and others. I take its the brains of the tank?
Old 12-31-2015, 10:52 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Most all tanks in 1/16th scale will have an integrated ESC system that includes other functions such as sound, lighting, and infrared capabilities (if equipped). For ours we also use an integrated receiver that matches with our transmitter so you do not have to use or setup your own transmitter. Others like IBU, Clark, RCTA, etc. will not come with an integrated radio which allows you to use your own transmitter. For those who already have self centering stick radio and wish to use their own the upgrade boards are the only way to use your own radio.
Most of the boards offer features more advanced than currently offered on stock boards like improved sound and increased amperage capacity in track motor drivers and more. This can be a plus if you upgrade to larger motors, but as of now the stock motors on our tanks do not need the upgraded controllers. Some also offer different infrared features as well.
(sorry for the incoming plug...) The Taigen boards are great out of the box for most of our customers. Even the IR system is very capable if you do not plan on joining a club with a different IR standard. The Taigen tanks fight each other just fine.
I think what might be best is to tell us what you plan on doing with the tanks and you might get a better suggestion there or even just asking some direct questions. You definitely stumbled on the best tank forum IMO People here are always happy to help and give an opinion. As for plastic versus metal... that is all preference. The plastic has come a long way in the past few years and is quite durable and is even preferred on infrared tanks as that brings down the weight and increases responsiveness. The metal however cost a bit more but usually allows the tanks to use the suspension a bit better but weight can always be simulated in a plastic tank with some lead weights or similar. Upgrading is a slippery slope for all of us and once you start you will keep going Hopefully this helps!
Old 12-31-2015, 11:49 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Native
What is and why do some upgrade parts? For instance I see IBU2, KK and others. I take its the brains of the tank?
Hi, and welcome to the forum. IBU is a control board (MFU = Multi Function Unit) and is used to get better sound and control than that offered by the stock electronics. Guys up grade because you can get an all plastic tank fairly cheap and then add the upgrade parts you want. There's also the modeling aspect, it's just fun to make the tank better. Another reason to upgrade is to get what they call "tamiya Compatible" which means your tank can battle with Tamiya IR tanks.

If you browse around at my youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH8...kqoLJ6KcUvfflQ

you'll find all kinds of info about how they run and shots of the insides and stuff.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:12 PM
Native

Thanks for the replies back! Looks like my son and I will be taken care of as we journey into a new hobby.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:44 PM
Native

How about lipos, can you run em or is that an upgradable controller
Old 12-31-2015, 01:13 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Native
How about lipos, can you run em or is that an upgradable controller
Lipos are batteries. Powerful and light, they can be used in tanks but are not necessary because there aren't weight restrictions.

Without embarking on a debate about what's better, there are a few options, it's just best to know in advance what your plan is (I know that's hard to know at first).

If you are looking for a couple of cheap tanks to mess around with, you'll find Heng Longs out there in the $100 range. If you go in knowing there will be a fair amount of frustration involved in that in terms of QC and toylike response, it's one way to enter the hobby. That's where all the upgrades come in.

If you are looking for less frustration, better QC and support, go with Taigen. Still can upgrade, but may not necessary for a while. A bit more expensive, but at least you'll get some help if there'a an issue, with HL you get crickets chirping.

If you don't want to upgrade or get into the dizzying array of options, want to understand how the whole thing works and spend some time with your son build, go Tamiya. You can get a Sherman for under $500, it'll be bullet proof and will last for years and years and you'll have the knowledge gained by assembly right from the start.

It's not what's best, it's what's best for you and yours.

I built Tamiyas with my son a dozen years ago, then got into the toy conversion aspect, only to go bad to Tamiya to avoid the hassle. To each his own, whatever you decide, just have reasonable expectations.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:07 AM
LarryE519

Video on Lipos..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyVH...KWYwMTAxMjAxNg

Hope this helps....

L
Old 01-01-2016, 07:31 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Jon, I run a mixture of lipo and nimh batteries. If you have prior RC experience and are familiar with lipos then I will say no more, but if lipos are new to you then I recommend you stick with the nimh batteries that come with the tanks until you get a real feel for things. If you then advance into custom builds where space becomes a real concern, or you just feel comfortable enough with the safety rules to want the significant savings you get with lipos, then you can make a more informed decision.