Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Close-Up images of WWII Panther turret track hangers needed

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Close-Up images of WWII Panther turret track hangers needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 11:37 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Question Close-Up images of WWII Panther turret track hangers needed

I need some images of the turret track hangers that the WWII Panthers used... A, D or G as it doesn't matter.

I can figure most of it out but pictures tell so much more than using 1/35th as a reference.

Thanks and have a Safe New Years Eve!

Jeff
Old 12-31-2015, 03:22 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

The design was usually unique to the units - have any one in mind?

Also, Happy New Year
Old 12-31-2015, 06:18 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There were many types all field made and attached in different places even the tracks were hung differently depending on which Division the tanks belonged some divisions didn’t use tracks on the turret sides, it would be far simpler to say which Division you wish to depict in Italy Russia or France, tracks were also hung horizontally and vertically, this subject is very complicated and even people who know what they are talking about sometimes get confused

Happy New Year.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:19 AM
Panther F

Thanks guys for your replies and Happy New Year!

I had no unit or division in mind... just ANY close-up images would help me decide if I want to do this or not. I have also seen blurry images of what appear to be what was used for attaching them to the hull for the turret as well which was a new discovery for me.

I am just considering attaching links vertically to a late G and I have a good idea as to HOW, but an education on the subject is always a better step forward.

Jeff
Old 01-02-2016, 06:06 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Here ya go, only one I've got, don't know unit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57rtyh.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	2139211  
Old 01-02-2016, 11:20 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Those are the style typical of 1st SS Pz Div - made from steel rod and welded to the roof. Other units welded the hooks to the sides of the turret, either from rod or strip.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:19 PM
Panther F

Originally Posted by Ex_Pat_Tanker
Those are the style typical of 1st SS Pz Div - made from steel rod and welded to the roof. Other units welded the hooks to the sides of the turret, either from rod or strip.

It's definitely a Panther built after August of '44.

I wanted to take a Late Production G (with the last station a steel rimmed road wheel) and make a command tank out of it. Since there are limited photographic images of them, instead of the foliage loops welded on the side of the turret, track links sounded better for such a Panther.

I don't want them "magically" hanging there so some type of hangers will do since they were field applied. Round steel rod is the more logical choice and most likely to be more readily available.

Thanks for everyone replies!

Jeff
Old 01-02-2016, 02:37 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

here's some

Name:	panther_d_02_of_59.jpg
Views:	1276
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	2139273   Click image for larger version

Name:	panther_d_21_of_59.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2139275   Click image for larger version

Name:	panther_d_55_of_59.jpg
Views:	1136
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	2139276  
Old 01-02-2016, 08:41 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

According to http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Panthers.pdf that one is ex 1st SS as well - interesting that the hooks are made from strip rather than rod, but then its an earlier tank than those I have studied for my Kampfgruppe Pieper group build...

That pdf also lists another ex LSSAH example in the Canadian war musuem that looks to be similarly made from strip, but the basic principle remains the same - welded to the turret roof rather than the sides.

(OMG, I have become such a nerd about this stuff... )
Old 01-02-2016, 08:46 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ex_Pat_Tanker
According to http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Panthers.pdf that one is ex 1st SS as well - interesting that the hooks are made from strip rather than rod, but then its an earlier tank than those I have studied for my Kampfgruppe Pieper group build...

That pdf also lists another ex LSSAH example in the Canadian war musuem that looks to be similarly made from strip, but the basic principle remains the same - welded to the turret roof rather than the sides.

(OMG, I have become such a nerd about this stuff... )

LOL you Big Nerd...you are always a big help so it's all good
Old 01-02-2016, 08:51 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Not a great shot, but here's how I did mine:

1mm diameter brass rod, bent in such a way that I could hang a HL track link from it if I wished. the end is bent over to plug into a hole drilled in the turret roof, so that it will hold up to a little bit of handling in service - not strictly to scale or accurate, but one of those compromises you have to make on a battler if you want it to last...
Old 01-03-2016, 02:19 PM
Panther F

Nothing wrong with being nerdy at all. I'm a HUGE fan and primarily interested in Panthers and Shermans... so naturally I know a bit more on those 2 AFV's then anything else. Collecting as much reference material helps too. Too bad it didn't apply to my Sturmtiger build back in 2005 where I learned blurred images from the Internet and museum pieces do not show they all had zimm... except for the prototype.

I knew Panthers turret hung track links were a field modification... just not a lot of clear images to be found on the net or in printed material as to what it looked like, so I asked.

So this week a trip to get some brass if I don't have the rod here in my heap of materials. I do thank everyone on their help to provide images and info where you're never too old or never know too much.

Jeff
Old 01-21-2016, 08:42 AM
LarryE519

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jeff,

Not sure if your still looking for these, but I just found a couple of pics of the Panther at the Canadian War Museum, Ottawa...

Also http://hobbyhavoc.com/forum/index.php?topic=3144.0

Name:	Panther Canadian War Mus - Ottawa #2.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	2142654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Panther Canadian War Mus - Ottawa.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	2142655  
Old 01-21-2016, 10:41 AM
Panther F

Oh wow, thanks so much Larry! Those are VERY helpful and only confirm that round shaped rod was the most preferred material.

I AM going to use them on an Early G now instead of a Late G, but the pics helped so much!

Jeff
Old 01-21-2016, 11:32 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

I guess you can draw 2 conclusions from this - either by some miracle all of the preserved Panthers with turret track hangers are ex-1st SS PzDiv, or few other units bothered with fitting them to the turret?
Old 01-21-2016, 12:57 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

If it helps, when I need metal rod I look in the wardrobe for a metal coat hanger, Perfect for so many uses in 1/16 tank builds.
shaun.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:33 PM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jarndice
If it helps, when I need metal rod I look in the wardrobe for a metal coat hanger, Perfect for so many uses in 1/16 tank builds.
shaun.
Good idea. Thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten about that when I ran out of the wire ones and bought plastic and wooden ones. The many different sizes of electrical solder also are handy.
rex
Old 01-21-2016, 01:34 PM
dgsselkirk

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

I like paper clips. You can get them in all sorts of thicknesses.....

Last edited by dgsselkirk; 01-21-2016 at 01:48 PM.