Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Ah the joys of IR battling a nice tank.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Ah the joys of IR battling a nice tank.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 10:56 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts
Default Ah the joys of IR battling a nice tank.

We had a really good fund day at the LA tank battle today. I took a new friend with me that just built an super Sherman. Hes still getting the hang of driving in chaos and how to battle but he had a good time.

My nice shermans got beat to hell today. Some passer by was handed a non IR tiger to play with and he entered the battle and accidently rammed my M4a1 three times.
Then a bit later, a Chinese type 90, swung around a building at high speed not knowing my m4a1 was there and literally sliced my tank in half. It lifted the nick a1 body off the chassis that was held by tamiya Sherman clips, and drove right through my tank. I haven't fully assessed the damage of it yet. I put it back together and tried to keep battling but only went a few feet and the turret wouldn't turn and then the tank stopped. Oh well. If it weren't so horrible it would actually be funny. Sorry, didn't take any photos it.

My Ez8 got plowed in the rear by the super Sherman which tore apart my urethane exhaust deflector. Then later going over an obstacle, I came down to fast and hard and my turret popped off. How embarrassing huh. Well, I did start to remedy that problem tonight by adding some shimming to the turret ring, and glue some of the bits of the exhaust deflector back in the louvers.

Talk about a beating today. But, I still had fun and enjoy it for some crazy reason.

Any body else take beatings like this at battles.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:00 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a good day tanking.

I had to warn my sons when we would head to a club type event that they can't battle like we do at home.

Ramming, knocking trees onto, pushing barrels, pushing off walls and bridges are all tactics employed. It all started when my youngest realized his best chance with the M4 v Tiger was to get in close where the 88 took forever to swing around.

That's why I only use Tamiya now. The other stuff didn't hold up to the punishment.

Once you watch a Tamiya Tiger go over a retaining wall, roll down concrete steps, land on it's track and not only still continue to battle but win, it sticks in your mind.

Last edited by ausf; 01-04-2016 at 04:03 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:03 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I know the local group I battled with had a standing rule of a 2 to 3 foot barrier to keep damage from occurring to members tanks.

There is no need for tanks to get that close. Most of us put hundreds of hours into these things and it's bad enough when WE run into a tree or a rock and cause damage.

Jeff
Old 01-04-2016, 05:08 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My stuff always takes a beating at Danville or my backyard battlefield. Whether it's tank on tank action or hitting buildings, rocks, tree's, etc. This is why I've stopped doing highly detailed work on any IR battler, especially fine PE work. Like you said though, still always fun and all the repair work after is usually just cosmetic.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:12 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Panther F
I know the local group I battled with had a standing rule of a 2 to 3 foot barrier to keep damage from occurring to members tanks.

There is no need for tanks to get that close. Most of us put hundreds of hours into these things and it's bad enough when WE run into a tree or a rock and cause damage.

Jeff
Yea, we try and stick to the 3ft rule as well but in the heat of a battle operators still want to impede it. Old thinking of getting closer will mean a more accurate shot I suppose, which also leads to plenty of fragging.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:59 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

And so it goes...

I have stuff knocked off my tank almost every battle, usually it's stowage or smoke grenade launchers, so I glue most of that stuff on with rubber cement so it comes off without damage to the tank. Sometimes I knock the stuff off, sometimes another tank knocks the stuff off. I also paint the undersides of stowage and such, bright orange when I can, so it can be found easy in grass or dirt.

At most of the club battles I have been to, we all go out and walk the battle field after each battle and search for parts. It's part of the ritual of IR tank battles.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:14 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, there's no reason to get close, but in the heat of a hard fought battle, with the loser doing the dishes for a week, it's "reload, schmeload, push him off the bridge!"

Keep in mind, our battles were so intense, I had to grind the Futaba Tx sticks down because the pointed crowns were cutting our fingers.

Again, that's only in my backyard with my sons, so no one is harmed in the process. I couldn't imagine how embarrassed I'd be if they pulled that against others. And so far they don't, as NEAD can attest. They only harm me and my stuff.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:25 AM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We had a really good fund day at the LA tank battle today.
There were 31 tankers (people who brought IR battle capable tanks...and battled them) at the LA Tank battle on Sunday. That's not including the spectators OR the numerous first time test drivers. The field looked great with the winter landscape. The field layout was challenging and well thought out. The battling lasted much longer than normal. We had a great time.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:05 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I realize first time battlers have no idea to what extent most of the owners have gone to with their tanks or the dollar amount either. But they should be informed first before loaning them a tank because they may view it as just a cheap toy.

Sounds as though a lot of fun was had even as there was some carnage... unintended I'm sure.

Jeff
Old 01-04-2016, 03:22 PM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

I think it is safe to say the "3 foot rule" is universal but we all know the heat of battle renders many rules broken. DAK has the same rule and we actively call it out when needed. As we have a large group of veterans the problem fixes itself eventually.

The LA club is a bit of an "incubator" with the large percentage of attendees being fairly new to the hobby. I tend to bring less detailed vehicles as my battlers because the field has been pretty tight in the past. Good news is the cadre is growing and many of the old SCAT crowd have appeared for vengeance. Forgiveness is easy when you know the damage wasn't intended. There are exceptions.... (this means you Artie!)
Old 01-06-2016, 08:05 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by ausf
Again, that's only in my backyard with my sons, so no one is harmed in the process. I couldn't imagine how embarrassed I'd be if they pulled that against others. And so far they don't, as NEAD can attest. They only harm me and my stuff.
I've heard that about kids ... First they call you Da-Da, then they call you Daddy, then they call you Dad, then they call you collect.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:42 AM
Rustytrax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two teenage boys and wife that do a pretty good job at making sure I have something to repair. Detailed models these are not. They don't get assembled sloppy and do look nice but make no mistake they aren't self queens and do have the scars of loved usage. I'm pretty good about cosmetic damage but when you break the resin gun pivots on a T-26 turret and cause other severe damage I do get testy.