Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Taigen Tiger TK22 Airsoft Problem

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Taigen Tiger TK22 Airsoft Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 08:40 AM
archelo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taigen Tiger TK22 Airsoft Problem

Hi guys! Ive done a bunch of reading on this subject and continue to be stumped. I have a Taigen Tiger and installed a TK22 board. I confirmed that it is programmed for Airsoft. Everything seems to work except I have no canon sound and all the Airsoft does is spin the motor (clicking sound) when I try to fire. My understanding was that on the Taigen you did not have to modify the wiring like on the Heng Long. Is this correct or is there a change that I need to make to get the Airsoft gun running?

Background....I got a couple of TK22's and a Turnigy 9x from Curtis at Immortal a few years back. I was able to get it to this point and life took over so...Im dusting off my tanks again after a long while and want to finally get this resolved. I thought about reaching out to Curtis but it seems the site is down not to mention all the drama swirling around him. Im guessing he moved on. He helped me out so I wish him luck and hope he is OK.

In any event, if anyone out there can guide me I would be greatly appreciative.

Last edited by archelo; 01-06-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:05 AM
pintius

Have you double checked everythings where it should be -

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TK22_sockets.jpg
Views:	885
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	2139988  
Old 01-06-2016, 09:11 AM
archelo

Yes sir....double and triple checked with the Clark site. I just shorted out pins 4 and 5 on CN3 to test the cannon sound and got it to work by using the elevation control on the radio. Having a hard time figuring out how Curtis programmed the cannon fire but it seemed to go off when elevating the cannon? Also hear the clicking sounds as the Airsoft motor runs but does not fire. Wondering if the Airsoft motor is runing backwards?
Old 01-06-2016, 09:12 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Yes, the taigen tiger has to be re-wired for the tk22 with airsoft. Erik made a good video of the mod. The reason your airsoft motor keeps running is because something is wrong in the trigger switch. With clark airsoft, the joystick turns the motor on to fire the airsoft, but it's the signal from the trigger switch on the back of the airsoft unit that shuts it down. I'll see if I can find that video for you.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:14 AM
archelo

This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvRpXb_4TFQ

Im going to go through this and post back. I was confused because I also read a post by Curtis where he said that no mods were needed for the Taigen. Off to mod I go....Thanks guys!

Last edited by archelo; 01-06-2016 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:17 AM
Crius

Here's the video. See if this helps. I did a Clark in a Tiger One with airsoft and I know it's pretty similar to the KT in the video. If you have them you might want to take a look at the wiring diagrams for the airsoft system. I can't remember if I had to swap any wires at the three pin plug from the turret to the upper hull, but I did have to do that on the Sherman when i put the clark in for that. If you want to see the Sherman Clark airsoft install stuff let me know. It might give you some ideas. Does your Tiger have a slip ring?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvRpXb_4TFQ
Old 01-06-2016, 09:19 AM
Crius

Ha! We were writing at the same time. Yes, that video you posted the link to, but the Tiger One is a little different. I have diagrams of the wiring somewhere if you need them. Just holler if you do. The instructions at the clark site can be a bit confusing sometimes.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:22 AM
Crius

One more thing, usually when the airsoft clicks it does mean it's running backwards. That may mean you have to swap wires at the three pin plug. I studied the wiring diagrams a lot and that really helped me sort things out. One thing that makes it weird is that for airsoft and elevation they use positive as a common and the signal is delivered by the negative wire. Just wait till you want to throw a barrel recoil unit in that puppy! Talk about making you think.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:25 AM
archelo

Yep! I actually have the Tiger 1 Late Version metal addition....not sure if that makes a difference. Those wiring diagrams would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot! Can you PM me with them?
Old 01-06-2016, 09:42 AM
Crius

Yes, stand by
Old 01-06-2016, 09:50 AM
Crius

PM sent
Old 01-06-2016, 10:06 AM
archelo

Cant thank you enough Cruis! Going to give this a shot today and will report back.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:50 AM
archelo

OK....reversed the leads for the Airsoft gun and its shooting so they were indeed backwards for the TK22. The only problem now is that it shoots when I send it an elevation control slightly forward and right. Could this be a config setting on the radio?
Old 01-06-2016, 12:35 PM
Crius

I'm not sure about that. I run all my clark TK22s with the TX set up as Clark calls out, with the throttle on the left stick and steering on the right. I've found it works much better for me that way. I had it set up with throttle and steering both on the same stick but I had a hard time turning properly and it also seemed to make it more difficult to get control of elevation and lights. Once I changed to throttle and steering on separate sticks I found it much, much easier to operate.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:43 PM
archelo

I may be changing this as well. Curtis set up the Turnigy with the Tanker software with the steering and throttle on the right stick. Everything else is controlled by a bunch of different movements of the left stick. I need to learn how to program the Turnigy so I can change this. Oh well...more to do. Thanks for your help!
Old 01-06-2016, 01:01 PM
Crius

You'll find lots and lots of good info on the Turnigy 9X and the 9XR and the 9XR Pro at the tank forum at RCTA (RC Tanks Australia). Kevin Grannum knows a LOT about the 9X series and the firmware it uses, especially tankER9X.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:54 PM
archelo

Well....Ive been struggling with understanding how the TankER9x program works. I simply and admittedly dont have enough of an understanding on what does what on the 9x radio and cant figure out how to programmatically modify it to separate the action of firing the cannon and the elevation controls. I made a copy of the existing model and have been playing with the settings basically in the dark but not getting anywhere. Its getting pretty frustrating. If anyone happens to know whats going on, please throw me a bone. I would really appreciate it.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:19 PM
Crius

Your best bet, (IMO) is to post the problem at the RCTA forum. Those boys down under are pretty serious about their tankin' and they just love the 9X and make it do some amazin' stuff. Did you sort out the problem with the cannon sound? I'm sure that was trigger switch related. If you unplug the trigger switch and then fire the cannon you won't get sound and the gun will just keep firing and firing and the only way to get it to stop is to turn off the tank. Another thing you might try, since you have tankER9X loaded, is to try the standard six channel template (if that's not what you're using now).
Old 01-09-2016, 06:06 AM
archelo

Yes sir...took your advice and joined that forum last night. Im waiting for my first post to be accepted by the moderator. I looked around the site and you are absolutely right...theres a lot of stuff on the 9x so hopefully i can sort this out.

Regarding the cannon sound; yes....once i reversed the gun motor to work in the right direction and got the gun to fire, the sound was perfectly synced. That is working great and sounds fantastic. I will definitely try that template as well. I really appreciate your help!
Old 01-18-2016, 06:24 PM
archelo

Update: All it needed was the rewiring as instructed on the Clark site. Liang responded to my email and cleared it up. Just finished running it and shooting! Thanks for everyones help!