Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Mask for painting/gluing/sanding?

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Mask for painting/gluing/sanding?

Old 01-12-2016, 05:12 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Question Mask for painting/gluing/sanding?

I am finding here lately I will need to wear a mask to filter out fumes/odors from painting and gluing. I always use a fan when sanding anything so the dust goes the opposite direction but now I feel the resin fumes from sanding will get to me as well.

Never bothered me before (as I used a well ventilated room) but now super glue, Mr. Surfacer are giving me a headache. I can't imaging what brush painting will do now?

So, I need to know what they're called and what size/type do I need and what do you guys use? MUST I replace the filters after each use or can they be washed/cleaned?

Thanks for reading!

Jeff
Old 01-12-2016, 05:31 AM
Tanker 10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're called respirators. You can buy either half face (one filter or canister) or full face respirators. You can purchase the type that allow for filter changes. Depending on how much you want to spend on the respirator, will determine in some cases how often you have to change the filters. Also, some will filter all fumes and smells and some will not. I got mine at Lowe's.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:31 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem is over time, you get sensitized to things and what hasn't bothered you, does now.

In terms of particulates like resin dust, a good N95 will do the trick since there are no organic vapors to deal with. You can use the paper ones from Home Depot, but they're not that comfortable. Look to Amazon or industrial supply for a 3M half mask, probably under $10. It's soft silicone, warms to the face and I can wear them for hours on end. You can get N95 filters for it for a few bucks. Beauty is, you can use the mask forever and change the filter, or if you're using other stuff, add a OV cartridge.

In terms of CA, you're out of luck, just need ventilation. It's the isocyanate family and there are no filters that'll work. The only thing close is to use a paper N95 and wet it down since the isos bond with water immediately. Same goes for urethane resin 'cause it's the same family. .

Jeff, I got to break it to you, but if you're doing a lot of work, it's time for real ventilation. You can get a squirrel cage blower (so you down explode if you're spraying laquer) from Dayton on eBay for great prices. Some dryer duct work and fittings and you can set it up to vent out a window. I have two system set up in benches that go through the wall, but I work with this stuff for hours every day.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:03 AM
Panther F

Thanks guys for your help! I couldn't for the life of me (mental block... HA HA) think of the word "respirator" PLUS, a little education is always needed my way on some things.

After the word in hand and a little searching the term organic and other terminology had me a bit concerned. I've always used a dust mask while sanding and especially while using resin... but it still has an odor and using a just a bit of Mr. Surfacer the other day gave me a headache, much like too much exposure to CA. Even while in a ventilated room.

SO... I guess I need to get a respirator for paint odors and use a fan pointed directly on ME to help.

Thanks again.

Jeff
Old 01-12-2016, 01:04 PM
ausf

The key is not have a fan pointed at you, the key is to get the fumes (not odors, hazardous fumes) out. If it's just a fan in the room, it'll just make a diluted concentration that'll linger.

You wanna know how I know? When I was 18 I had a shop doing makeup effects. I used a lot of isocyanates, resins, paints fiberglass, etc. I had two floors in a building and used the basement to do all the nasty work. Problem with a basement is there is no air exchange. It might not smell (you go nose blind to odors very quickly), but they don't magically disappear either. I'd occasionally get light headed or headaches, part of the job, 18 years old, no problem.

Except when I was 21, I spent over a month in the NYU having a spinal cord tumor removed and learning how to walk again. That blew my career and effed up my body in ways I'm still dealing with at 50.

Vent.

The CA is giving you headaches, some people get sore throats or tight chests, because the molecules of the MDI are bonding with the moisture in your sinuses, nasal passages and lungs. Too much and that tightness turns into a asthma like like crust.

Again, just vent. The trace MDI immediately bonds with moisture in the air outside instead your body.

Solvents can screw you up in ways you never dreamt of and there's not enough 'manning up' in the world to change it.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:36 PM
Panther F

Thumbs up

Okay Jeff, thanks for the advice.

What a devastating thing to happen to someone at that young of an age. And here I thought I was young at 33 when I found out about my health issues I have dealt with to my age of 56... but yours and the cause, wow.

I have a paint booth I feel I need to use now more than ever, and not just for planned painting. The 'other odors' have an effect on me now that never showed before. But then again, the past 2 months have been bad for me and I believe my defenses are now down.

So... precautions are now in force and I NOW need to get a respirator.

Jeff
Old 01-12-2016, 03:01 PM
ausf

Good to hear you'll use the booth Jeff.

I hate to broach the subject, because I don't want to sound preachy or over cautious, but I lived it.

It wasn't just the age, but about 6 months before the floor dropped out, I landed a student/apprentice deal with Dick Smith. He won the Oscar for Amadeus, but was best known for the Exorcist, Taxi Driver, the Godfather movies, Deer Hunter...

I could of wrote my ticket after that since his previous students won almost every makeup Oscar for the next 20 years or so, but instead I had to give it all up.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:57 PM
Panther F

Thumbs up

Oh no... not preachy or being over cautious and you're not broaching any subject at all. I just hope everyone learns what is at stake here. I know I have.

I was only exposed to them for less than 5 minutes... but I have to admit the chemistry of my body HAS to have changed after what I have been through the past few months. Two surgeries, extended hospital stays and a REAL SCARY visit to the ER because, well... I had a problem.

So things are not the same anymore and even vinegar that I used to De-odorize the garbage disposal and the Windex had a negative affect on me. So time to change things as I am tailoring back on my hobby a bit, so must my techniques and habits.

I'll give it some more time before I use anything but in the meanwhile, finish the booth and get serious because the headache was a sign.

Thanks again!

Jeff
Old 01-13-2016, 02:57 PM
Merganser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a model sized paint booth on Amazon that vents outside which I use for paining. I have not tried it for sanding or gluing.