Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

SU-152 build

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 05:58 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default SU-152 build

Hey folks, it's been a while since I posted a build up on here. Here's my latest, an su-152. The conversion kits from juckenburg and the rest is asiatam/taigen. Electronics are courtesy of Ian tank bear at rctankelectronics and comprise an ibu2 pro and vampire hidden battle unit.

First job was to get rid of the henglong guts and replace with servo recoil and elevation

Removing the barrel and recoil unit

Recoil and elevation from styrene and a cut up henglong recoil

Next up was the battle system.

Emitter hidden in the barrel

Sensors and LEDs from the inside

Externally

Next up adding detail,

Scratch built hooks for the tow cables

Engine vents

I had several crew members from heikkes modeulbau gasse, so one was used as a commander

Originally brass gearboxes were installed however I replaced these with black steel ones

Old 01-19-2016, 05:59 AM
tomhugill

Next up paint. I use a base layer of Tamiya gunship grey as a steel colour for the chiping

Then hairspray and the mig ammo Russian green set modulated

Dark green and green base

With light base and highlight

Then chipping and pin washes

Next up was the markings. I've gone for big numbers and a slogan in this case, "for the homeland"

Next up the streaking and grime

Rusting the exhausts

And the commander

Last will be the mud, for which I'm waiting for materials to arrive
Old 01-19-2016, 06:09 AM
Shorty54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks great! You make it look so easy. Great job on the commander. I have a couple commanders that are unpainted, I would like to learn how to paint them like that. Im working on a barrel recoil elevation similar to yours, you gave me a couple more ideas.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:30 AM
sollie

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

what a cool looking tank. Great Job Tom
Old 01-19-2016, 08:23 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

All of it looks great ..... the hooks for the tow cables really got my attention ..... I'm gonna steal that idea frum ya !!!
rex
Old 01-19-2016, 02:34 PM
tankman

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Shorty54
looks great! You make it look so easy. Great job on the commander. I have a couple commanders that are unpainted, I would like to learn how to paint them like that. Im working on a barrel recoil elevation similar to yours, you gave me a couple more ideas.
Here you go an article on figure painting from the RCTankregiment forum. Hope it's of some use to you.
http://www.rctankregiment.com/rctank...nting&start=10

Got to admit the SU 152 is a nice peice of modeling all round, well up to Mr Hugills usual standard.

Last edited by tankman; 01-19-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:32 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a breath of fresh air, brother. very nice work! Feel free to send it here for safe keeping...ummm, you know, just in case you need someone to look after it for you.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:50 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice work! Looks great!
Old 01-20-2016, 03:36 AM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Beautiful Machine
Old 01-20-2016, 05:36 AM
tomhugill

Originally Posted by Shorty54
Glad it could be of help to you, I've been meaning to do a figure painting tutorial for a while, I'll try and put something together as I've a ruck of verlinden figures need painting
Old 01-20-2016, 05:38 AM
tomhugill

Cheers for the kind words gents, I've tried to strike a balance between detail and function. She's equipped to ir battle and experience has taught me photo etch doesn't always last so well in the heat of battle. It's been quite a challenge to make the green look interesting , I think the modulation helps, but I've some mud and stowage planned to add a bit more interest. Watch this space!
Old 01-20-2016, 06:31 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Amazing! We need more Russian tanks as I always say!
Old 01-20-2016, 06:45 AM
Dusty Steppes

Originally Posted by tomhugill
Cheers for the kind words gents, I've tried to strike a balance between detail and function. She's equipped to ir battle and experience has taught me photo etch doesn't always last so well in the heat of battle. It's been quite a challenge to make the green look interesting , I think the modulation helps, but I've some mud and stowage planned to add a bit more interest. Watch this space!
Looks sweet! I'm watching this with extreme interest.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:51 AM
Dusty Steppes

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Amazing! We need more Russian tanks as I always say!
Well you do have the chassis and late roadwheels. All you have to do is come up with an upper hull. We need this beast to take on all those Tigers that you sell. Wink,wink, nudge, nudge...
Old 01-20-2016, 07:17 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by Dusty Steppes
Well you do have the chassis and late roadwheels. All you have to do is come up with an upper hull. We need this beast to take on all those Tigers that you sell. Wink,wink, nudge, nudge...
Noted and already spoke of I want this one though!
Old 01-20-2016, 07:43 AM
tomhugill

Well we now have the chassis to make most of the wwii Russian armour and between trumpeter and juckenburg there are the conversion kits out there! A 76mm t-34 would be nice though
Old 01-20-2016, 12:13 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice tank with some great detailing.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:17 AM
Imex-Erik

Well we now have the chassis to make most of the wwii Russian armour and between trumpeter and juckenburg there are the conversion kits out there! A 76mm t-34 would be nice though
I may have some dirt on another Russian tank too soon.... we shall see.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:55 AM
Rustytrax

Nice work on the commander
Old 01-21-2016, 08:35 AM
Imex-Erik

I gotta say I really like those weld lines too
Old 01-22-2016, 09:35 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have been interested in the vampire system for a bit but never wanted to get into it until I heard some after action reports. Let us know how it fares against tamiya apples and if their are any concerns or advantages with regard to the receivers being "hooded" or defense's such as the 45 or hull up/down. I'd imaginein a hull defense your invulerable since the receivers are completely covered on top/bottom? Great looking tank!!
Old 01-22-2016, 12:49 PM
tomhugill

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Have been interested in the vampire system for a bit but never wanted to get into it until I heard some after action reports. Let us know how it fares against tamiya apples and if their are any concerns or advantages with regard to the receivers being "hooded" or defense's such as the 45 or hull up/down. I'd imaginein a hull defense your invulerable since the receivers are completely covered on top/bottom? Great looking tank!!
Hey, the vampire doesn't give advantage over the TBU in any way, in fact you lose 45 degree defence and slope defence. The fins on the TBU and the fact the prism is quite right in the centre of the TBU means that even from a 45 degree angle you can still be hit. I love the hidden battle unit for an aesthetic point of view and for friendly battles they're great. However if battlings at the highly competitive end then the TBU does give some advantage.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:17 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, the vampire doesn't give advantage over the TBU in any way, in fact you lose 45 degree defence and slope defence. The fins on the TBU and the fact the prism is quite right in the centre of the TBU means that even from a 45 degree angle you can still be hit. I love the hidden battle unit for an aesthetic point of view and for friendly battles they're great. However if battlings at the highly competitive end then the TBU does give some advantage.
That makes sense. Same with the Elmod "mushroom" unless you make your own encasement to get the 45 defense. Does look awesome. If you get a chance would love to see a small vid of it taking a hit or two to see what the "hit" led's look like.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:05 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow it looks fantastic. You know how to make the simple look interesting. Thanks for Sharing Tom!!!
Old 01-23-2016, 10:52 AM
tomhugill

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
That makes sense. Same with the Elmod "mushroom" unless you make your own encasement to get the 45 defense. Does look awesome. If you get a chance would love to see a small vid of it taking a hit or two to see what the "hit" led's look like.
Hey benny, I'll try and get a video but for now here's some
Pictures.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.