Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Hidden IR Battle Unit

Old 01-26-2016, 08:17 PM
nyleatherneck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rich, my answer was not to you, sorry it came out that way. My remarks were directed to Cirius.
I do thank you for the kind words. I really wish there were a way to just PM him / her? directly and not on the forum.
I will keep trying to make affordable products that the RC Tank hobby wants.
Carl
Old 01-27-2016, 04:47 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
Who me NY leatherneck? I like your product and ordered one.
I think its cool for applications like yor site shows.

Dont mistake my dis like for battle play not allowing barrel mounted IR bulbs for any hating on your product or other clubs. Im just not going to go battle there. Ive never been to danville but I hear they have strict rules. I would love to go, but if my tanks arent allowed to battle because they shoot from the barrel like a real tank, well then, no point to it. We have lax but realistic and fun rules here at our battles in san diego. My paintball comment is in regards to unrealistic engagement versus simulated.... Airsofters would get it...
Danville allows IR emitter in barrel, but flash must still be visible.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:16 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

BennyB, there is my problem. I have an LED behind the IR in most tanks so its nearly non visible unless you look right down the barrel. My tamiya EZ8 doesnt even have a flash unit any more, it died after just a couple weeks, it wasnt the bulb, but the mf only flashed ever 3 or 4th time. I dont really care about seeing a flash come out of my barrel. It doesnt matter any way since all my barrels recoil when firing.
So under those rules, I would never be allowed to battle at danville?

Last edited by RichJohnson; 01-27-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:34 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by nyleatherneck
Now your just being an ass. I am willing to bet I have helped more in the hobby than you with your closed minded attitude. I will just keep on helping people with what they want. As I said I don't make a living from this. I hardly even break even. I'm a retired Marine, what have you done?
This is what I'm talking about and why I won't do business with you (again). You act like you're doing us a favor and we should kiss your butt because you make RC tank parts (besides the fact that I never got over you stiffin' me for sixty bucks. After all that effort and postage you never even offered a refund for this piece of junk smoker that doesn't work and is now a paperweight). If you want to advertise here, do it the way Taigen does it and buy an ad. Having that ad at the top of the page gives them the right to post advertisements here. I don't see your ad.

I'll bet it is true that you've helped more people than I have. I give my help for free whenever I can and don't advertise it or try to make money off it. I bet you've also got a LOT more unsatisfied customers than I do.

And it's Crius, not Cirius. Open a book sometime and you might recognize a Titan when you see one.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:03 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Crius
This is what I'm talking about and why I won't do business with you (again). You act like you're doing us a favor and we should kiss your butt because you make RC tank parts (besides the fact that I never got over you stiffin' me for sixty bucks. After all that effort and postage you never even offered a refund for this piece of junk smoker that doesn't work and is now a paperweight). If you want to advertise here, do it the way Taigen does it and buy an ad. Having that ad at the top of the page gives them the right to post advertisements here. I don't see your ad.

I'll bet it is true that you've helped more people than I have. I give my help for free whenever I can and don't advertise it or try to make money off it. I bet you've also got a LOT more unsatisfied customers than I do.

And it's Crius, not Cirius. Open a book sometime and you might recognize a Titan when you see one.
If you have beef with the seller contact him via pm. The forum is not the place to settle personal differences. Plenty of companies/individuals announce new products on here not wrong with the OP. You aren't a mod so quit trying to be one....
Old 01-27-2016, 09:05 AM
tomhugill

Oh and the bit about the Titan make you sound like an eejit. I did classics and college and didn't recognise the significance of the name, I'm willing to bet that goes for most on here.

Last edited by tomhugill; 01-27-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:19 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by tomhugill
Oh and the bit about the Titan make you sound like an eejit. I did classics and college and didn't recognise the significance name, I'm willing to be that goes for most on here.
A TITAN!!?

OMG!!!

Hmmm... I thought he had quit this forum last year and took all his toys home?

Jeff
Old 01-27-2016, 09:29 AM
Crius

First, recognizing a name has nothing to do with the ability to read and repeat with proper spelling. But you're right, Tom, probably not the best way to handle personal grievances, and you, Sir, have my apologies. You are one of the few people on this forum that it would grieve me to offend.

As for you, Jeff, yes, I did leave before, mainly because of arseholes like you, but later decided that your childish antics won't stop me from doing what I care to do, and if you don't like it, too bad. Offending you means nothing to me.

Last edited by Crius; 01-27-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:30 AM
RichJohnson

Isnt Titan a missile? Or ICBM?
Old 01-27-2016, 09:35 AM
Crius

One more thing, Tom, while others post ads here it doesn't mean it's OK. Taigen did it right and paid for an ad. With all the complaints lately about ads I would think there are enough ads that are done right without the ones that are done wrong.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:37 AM
Crius

Yes, Rich, Titans were missiles, and they are also present in mythology. Crius was one of the Titans, but you would probably be more familiar with his nephew, Zeus, who was father to Hercules. I believe there is also a missile system called Hercules, too.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:42 AM
RichJohnson

Ah yeah, thats from clash of the Titans. I took mytholgy back in college. now i sort of recall, saddly, that was such a fast moving course its one of only two classes I ever failed. The other being highschool chemistry.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:45 AM
Crius

You may have failed chemistry, but you're doing pretty damn good with RC Shermans!
Old 01-27-2016, 10:02 AM
TheBennyB

BennyB, there is my problem. I have an LED behind the IR in most tanks so its nearly non visible unless you look right down the barrel. My tamiya EZ8 doesnt even have a flash unit any more, it died after just a couple weeks, it wasnt the bulb, but the mf only flashed ever 3 or 4th time. I dont really care about seeing a flash come out of my barrel. It doesnt matter any way since all my barrels recoil when firing.
So under those rules, I would never be allowed to battle at danville?
There is always a waiver on first time visitors that are unaware of the guidelines. Some events don't conduct inspections to begin with. For an A.C.E Rolling Thunder event, yea you'd get some guff after your first visit if you didn't try to improve the visibility of the barrel flash. Know all about the tammy's flash circuit going bad, I've sent 3 in for repair and know of plenty of others that have had to do the same.

Last edited by TheBennyB; 01-27-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:17 AM
tomhugill

Always my kv-1 mfus going bad!
Old 01-27-2016, 10:33 AM
Crius

Bret, is that why we see these tanks with the orange thing hanging out the end of the barrel? Is that to satisfy the rules?
Old 01-27-2016, 11:15 AM
RichJohnson

See, that orage tamiya flash tab hanging out the barrel is what bugs the crap out of me personally and makes a great looking tank look funny on the field.

Most barrels do not allow a flash bulb and ir bulb in the barrel due to inside diameter. I origninally had my tamiya flash up the barrel and my ir in the sight on the mantle but regretted not being able to have the ir in the barrel. That was handled for me just a couple weeks of average play and break in in the side yard dirt when the flash failed and i pulled it and put the ir up the barrel.
I encourage as many builders I know to put the ir in the barrel. The flash is a side bonus to a battle tank and I have gotten to not care. Its not important. I dont see why anybody would insist on seeing it on a battlefield especially since so many tamiya ones fail. Seems pointless and just keeps some people from playing. Too many rules turn people away. Simple rules, have a tank that takes hits and dies, 9mm clearance on IR bulb, and dont ram other tanks. Come play.

im headed to virgina some time late fall for a reunion and am hoping i can make a cass trip and a damville battle but i will check first to see if they allow my tank to play before i plan for the battle.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:38 AM
TheBennyB

Bret, is that why we see these tanks with the orange thing hanging out the end of the barrel? Is that to satisfy the rules?
Yup.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:50 AM
tomhugill

The rules I read said you needed a flash or recoil to show a shot had been made, both weren't mandatory.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:52 AM
TheBennyB

See, that orage tamiya flash tab hanging out the barrel is what bugs the crap out of me personally and makes a great looking tank look funny on the field.

Most barrels do not allow a flash bulb and ir bulb in the barrel due to inside diameter. I origninally had my tamiya flash up the barrel and my ir in the sight on the mantle but regretted not being able to have the ir in the barrel. That was handled for me just a couple weeks of average play and break in in the side yard dirt when the flash failed and i pulled it and put the ir up the barrel.
I encourage as many builders I know to put the ir in the barrel. The flash is a side bonus to a battle tank and I have gotten to not care. Its not important. I dont see why anybody would insist on seeing it on a battlefield especially since so many tamiya ones fail. Seems pointless and just keeps some people from playing. Too many rules turn people away. Simple rules, have a tank that takes hits and dies, 9mm clearance on IR bulb, and dont ram other tanks. Come play.

im headed to virgina some time late fall for a reunion and am hoping i can make a cass trip and a damville battle but i will check first to see if they allow my tank to play before i plan for the battle.
Rich, been down this road quite a few times. In a local club, or backyard bbq battle your absolutely right. Self police, drink a cold one, and have some laughs. When your organizing an event where people are paying big bucks for gas, meals, hotels, etc from all over the U.S. and overseas you HAVE to keep some things in check or believe me you and the guy next to you will hear about it. You do bring up a point that we're discussing on the more frequent failures of the tammy flash and if we should continue making it a necessity. I for one do like being able to see when my opponent fires, I can start counting off in my head how long I have to maneuver before he can fire again, especially if he's across the field and I can't hear the tank. Also it helps with the lag shot No one ever gets turned down from battling at the museum, in fact alot of our rules/guidelines are to insure this.(ex. using max on road speeds at inspection.) So woldn't worry about it too much. Show up, have some fun, meet some great tankers and take lots of pics.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:10 PM
RichJohnson

Benny, that sounds cool. We play outdoors, in the bright sun the flash isnt all that visible on the tanks that have it.
I hope there is a battle event the week that I come back there, which I dont know yet.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:33 PM
TheBennyB

No sweat Rich. And yea, if your MF unit is shot nothing you can do about that except try and send it in for repairs. If you have a tank with the flash still working you can also keep the flash in the tank and run a fiber optic from it through the barrel or if your worried about it in the future, some guys are keeping their emitters in the barrel and then grinding a small channel in the bottom of the barrel tube and running a fiber optic to the muzzle.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:36 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have gone to LED flashes. Too many problems with the the big capacitor discharge ones. You can get some super bright LED's that work well.

Re Danville.

These guys are friendly and can be very accommodating to new tankers, but lets be frank about IR battling. You want some consistency and a degree of fairness. A tank out on the field that won't take hits, and is just a renegade is a nuisance on the field. Too many times I see guys who battle a Danville be labelled in a particular way that is not very flattering. It is a shame because the guys I met there were friendly, helpful and motivated to make things fun.

As someone else pointed out a recoiling BBL is a visual that a Tank has fired. You want to know this so you have time to attack and get to a Defensive position. It is a huge advantage to have a stealthy shot.

They also keep it relatively simple, because you have to. Too many variables make it almost impossible to create a set of standards, and trying to get people to agree is like herding cats.

The reason the Tamiya TBU is used is because it is consistently made, and its universal use make the playing field completely level. I have built tanks with hidden sensors. I used the DBU base and servo cables for IR sensors, but I always included a TBU mount in the commanders hatch as well, so if there were any issue with my hidden sensors you just stick in a TBU and the situation is looked after. When I went to Danville I knew what the requirement was and I played the game.

As far as the sharing of information. Long before Taigen showed up this forum was full of people sharing what they were up to and what might be coming out next. Nothing wrong with that. Half of the upgrades you see in a Taigen tank had the root of the idea on this forum. We all know the manufactures peek in here to see what is up, and what new ideas have been hatched. In return they share with us more then any other forum. So it seems to be working just fine.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:42 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I use a 3mm IR LED in front of a 6mm flash LED in the muzzle, and then use fiber optics to bring the flash around the IR LED. It works great. I even scaled down the emitter tube inside the barrel to keep it fair.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:09 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by YHR
I have gone to LED flashes. Too many problems with the the big capacitor discharge ones. You can get some super bright LED's that work well.

Re Danville.

These guys are friendly and can be very accommodating to new tankers, but lets be frank about IR battling. You want some consistency and a degree of fairness. A tank out on the field that won't take hits, and is just a renegade is a nuisance on the field. Too many times I see guys who battle a Danville be labelled in a particular way that is not very flattering. It is a shame because the guys I met there were friendly, helpful and motivated to make things fun.

As someone else pointed out a recoiling BBL is a visual that a Tank has fired. You want to know this so you have time to attack and get to a Defensive position. It is a huge advantage to have a stealthy shot.

They also keep it relatively simple, because you have to. Too many variables make it almost impossible to create a set of standards, and trying to get people to agree is like herding cats.

The reason the Tamiya TBU is used is because it is consistently made, and its universal use make the playing field completely level. I have built tanks with hidden sensors. I used the DBU base and servo cables for IR sensors, but I always included a TBU mount in the commanders hatch as well, so if there were any issue with my hidden sensors you just stick in a TBU and the situation is looked after. When I went to Danville I knew what the requirement was and I played the game.

As far as the sharing of information. Long before Taigen showed up this forum was full of people sharing what they were up to and what might be coming out next. Nothing wrong with that. Half of the upgrades you see in a Taigen tank had the root of the idea on this forum. We all know the manufactures peek in here to see what is up, and what new ideas have been hatched. In return they share with us more then any other forum. So it seems to be working just fine.
I had a great time at the Danville event. Even though I didnt come with an equipped tank (just didnt have the time) there were a few people that offered tanks and strategies. I think Danville is a pretty lax place IMO. Especially after hours right?
And yes, you are right Dan. IDK about other manufacturers, but we do look in here and we love ideas.... or at least I know I do. Keeping in good faith with you guys has not only rewarded us but you guys as well. More models are being released as we know what you guys like, products are being fixed/modified/upgraded constantly, and new tanks and tank lines are being released to keep everyone happy at almost any price point. IR is being kept and supported in the future and also new electronics are due eventually with external RC controls just like you guys wanted. You talk, we listen
Originally Posted by Pah co chu puk
I use a 3mm IR LED in front of a 6mm flash LED in the muzzle, and then use fiber optics to bring the flash around the IR LED. It works great. I even scaled down the emitter tube inside the barrel to keep it fair.
I was just about to see if anyone had thought about a barrel ring at the end of the barrel instead of a LED... this is exactly what we need if you wish to put the emitter in the barrel. Fiberoptics are great for this, I'm surprised someone isn't making them already actually!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.