Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Wings & Warbirds Air Show in Port Clinton, OH, Needs R/C Tanks

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Wings & Warbirds Air Show in Port Clinton, OH, Needs R/C Tanks

Old 01-26-2016, 01:06 PM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Wings & Warbirds Air Show in Port Clinton, OH, Needs R/C Tanks

I received a message from Brian who is one of the organizers of the 'Wings & Warbirds Over Port Clinton R/C And Full Size Air Show' in Port Clinton, Ohio. The event this year is August 27-28.

Brian said the show needs r/c military vehicles (i.e.: TANKS!) to have an exhibit for the public. Said they're aim is to educate the public and grow interest in the r/c hobby.

Also said there's free camping on site for all exhibiting r/c'ers.

The site for the show is: www.rcwarbirdsopc.com and there's also an ad for it on youtube. Brian can be contacted on his cell phone at 440 522 8490 or look on the 'Introduction' thread on the FOA forum (where he contacted me at.)

Looks interesting!

Mike

Last edited by Old MSgt; 01-26-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:27 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Will you be there, Mike? That's not far from me at all, and I do have a tank or two.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:56 PM
Old MSgt

August is a few months away and I am seriously thinking about it. I mentioned it to my wife (and NOOO, I AIN'T GOTTA ASK my little woman IF I CAN GO!! I'm ahe-man'...) and she said I should go

We'll just have to see how my truck is running, how the weather is going to be up there then (rain?), if aliens is attack'in, etc.

We need to find out more info. Where the tank exhibit will be located (inside/outside?). Is there electricity? What kind of 'camping' there is. Stuff like that.

But if you're thinking about going then, if I went, I wouldn't be the ONLY 'tanker' there... you know how rowdy some'a them r/c fliers can be. A tanker might need someone to watch his back!

Last edited by Old MSgt; 01-26-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:51 PM
Green Amphibian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think he was referring to large scale 1/8 or 1/6 tanks. You might want to contact him if you are bringing 1/16 scale tanks.

Herman
Old 01-26-2016, 06:05 PM
Old MSgt

I'll find out, but r/c tanks is r/c tanks!
Old 01-26-2016, 06:18 PM
Old MSgt

I don't see why not! There's different scales of planes! And r/c is r/c. They want (quote) 'r/c military vehicles' (unquote) so that oughta be everything.

I emailed him and asked, but if 1/16 (like I enjoy too!) ain't there, then I AIN'T GO'IN!

I'll just sit here at tha house, drank cold brew, and be PRETTY!

Mike
Old 01-26-2016, 08:00 PM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just as heads up regarding frequencies.

I didn't know this myself until recently when I started getting into RC subs.

By regulation, Txs that are not 2.4 gig have to be surface radios only, meaning 27 or 75. I know a lot of guys are using Futaba Skysports running 72 and that's a big no no according to the FCC.

The event says FM won't be allowed, only 2.4 and these guys are serious pilots. If a tanker shows up with a Tx tuned to an air frequency like 72, he's going to get an earful at best.

Especially with drones these days, there's a lot of attention being paid. I was surprised to hear that if I used an air freq with a sub, I could be fined and if turning on the Tx caused a downing of a flying thing, liable for any and all damage.

I not nuts or nitpicking, I'm just throwing that out there to avoid someone from having a crappy weekend.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:55 AM
Martellus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming this post is by the same Brian you mentioned:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...l#post12167573

then he is looking for "Giant Scale"

I am going to assume that is 1/6 or 1/8
Old 01-27-2016, 07:27 AM
Old MSgt

Yep, that's him Martellus.

And that settles that for me. Thanks! Mike
Old 01-27-2016, 07:46 AM
Crius

So the Port Clinton trip is off? 1/16 need not apply? That's too bad. Some of you guys know my equipment and I could put on a decent display all by myself, from airsoft to IR to FPV. Probably best, though, you know people will want to drive them and I'm a little nervous about putting my 9XR in strange hands, let alone the new Flysky i10. Not to mention that with the FPV rig on board I[ve got close to $1400 in the S33 alone.

Of course, if Mike was to bring the big Sherman I might drive down just to meet the Master Sergeant.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:04 AM
Old MSgt

Well, Brian ain't got back to me on scales, but if they want to 'display' rc vehicles FOR THE PUBLIC, to get them interested IN rc, then that show is missing the most used and popular tanks: 1/16!

We'll wait and see what Brian has to say I guess. Cause I'm only going if a bunch of you are!
Old 01-27-2016, 08:14 AM
Crius

I just talked to Brian. He's OK with 1/16 and hopes we'll attend in force. They'll set aside an area for us to set up a battle field, we'll get free parking and camping and all that. We'll be a welcome addition to the event, so let's see what kind of enthusiasm is out there for this. I'm definitely in. I will move my vacation from July to August and attend with all my stuff.

While 1/16 is very welcome, Brian would also like to see 1/6 scale to participate in a special event with pyrotechnics and scale warbirds. So who has big stuff? How's the Sherman lookin'. Mike? It's waaay too bad that Jerry is on the west coast, since his 1/10 scale tanks would be very, very cool for this.

So ... thoughts? Ideas?
Old 01-27-2016, 08:19 AM
Crius

Mike, I just sent you a PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:44 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ausf
Just as heads up regarding frequencies.

I didn't know this myself until recently when I started getting into RC subs.

By regulation, Txs that are not 2.4 gig have to be surface radios only, meaning 27 or 75. I know a lot of guys are using Futaba Skysports running 72 and that's a big no no according to the FCC.

The event says FM won't be allowed, only 2.4 and these guys are serious pilots. If a tanker shows up with a Tx tuned to an air frequency like 72, he's going to get an earful at best.

Especially with drones these days, there's a lot of attention being paid. I was surprised to hear that if I used an air freq with a sub, I could be fined and if turning on the Tx caused a downing of a flying thing, liable for any and all damage.

I not nuts or nitpicking, I'm just throwing that out there to avoid someone from having a crappy weekend.
I personally think it is great tbh. Anything that provides more security or safety I'm all for. Sometimes I switch radios or modules just for that actually. Having two systems being able to conflict that easily is just asking for trouble. 2.4GHz systems are cheap and have a great range, I think we should all upgrade. I know it may hit the wallet but the gained security from a new system is well worth not losing control of it one day because some other guy down the street is playing with his at the same time. I dont have too many RC'ers near me, but I always feel safe using my 2.4 radios.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:54 AM
Crius

As soon as Imex releases their new control unit we'll be able to get all those 27MHz tanks on something decent and it won't hurt the wallet too much. You can get on 2.4 right now for under $100 but you don't get some of the nifty features, like speed control on turret rotation, but something tells me Erik won't let it be that way for much longer and we'll soon have much better options.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:58 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with you, 2.4 all the way, especially since I have a stack of OrangeBox Rxs. I've just run into a lot of flak from old school tankers. My DX6i runs a Ketten, Schwimm, Yamato, Bismarck, a destroyer, a zombie head, the skeleton TC, the Sherman TC plus most of my tanks.

Only problem is 2.4 happens to be water's frequency too, it's the reason why microwaves work, but also keeps me from using it for subs since it doesn't penetrate past an inch or so.

Fortunately I have a couple of old Futaba Attacks that are 27Mhz that I can use, but I can't go past 4 channels with them.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:58 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by Crius
As soon as Imex releases their new control unit we'll be able to get all those 27MHz tanks on something decent and it won't hurt the wallet too much. You can get on 2.4 right now for under $100 but you don't get some of the nifty features, like speed control on turret rotation, but something tells me Erik won't let it be that way for much longer and we'll soon have much better options.
Oh yes, we are working on something with external RC control dont worry
We are also looking at a radio system to pair with it too, but no more info on this atm. It will be 2.4GHz of course and a good brand I have worked with before...
Old 01-27-2016, 09:15 AM
Crius

You're such a tease! "A brand I've worked with before". Like that narrows it down!! Is there a brand that you haven't worked with!?!
Old 01-27-2016, 11:23 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by Crius
You're such a tease! "A brand I've worked with before". Like that narrows it down!! Is there a brand that you haven't worked with!?!
A few, yes
I meant that I personally owned... well that doesnt narrow it down much either lol.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:36 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Old MSgt
Well, Brian ain't got back to me on scales, but if they want to 'display' rc vehicles FOR THE PUBLIC, to get them interested IN rc, then that show is missing the most used and popular tanks: 1/16!

We'll wait and see what Brian has to say I guess. Cause I'm only going if a bunch of you are!

Hmmm... I'll be at FULL STRENGTH by then and a road trip to meet some of this boards finest members would be fun!

Jeff
Old 01-27-2016, 12:55 PM
Old MSgt

Hey Jeff! I've always wanted ta meet a 'finest member' too! Maybe they'll show up and then we can figure out WHO they is!

BUT, as of right now, it's you, Gary, and me! We'll have'a HOOT! What with all them flyers, us TANKERS oughta be able ta take over the festivies! We start running our tanks we'll 'show'em where the bear poot!'

I know it's months away but I had a hard time going to sleep last night preplanning the logistics of this deployment. Mike
Old 01-27-2016, 01:51 PM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by Old MSgt
Hey Jeff! I've always wanted ta meet a 'finest member' too! Maybe they'll show up and then we can figure out WHO they is!

BUT, as of right now, it's you, Gary, and me! We'll have'a HOOT! What with all them flyers, us TANKERS oughta be able ta take over the festivies! We start running our tanks we'll 'show'em where the bear poot!'

I know it's months away but I had a hard time going to sleep last night preplanning the logistics of this deployment. Mike
I'll see what I can do too, maybe I can drag bossman into it
Old 01-27-2016, 02:03 PM
Green Amphibian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It isn't that far from the ol' homestead for me. Maybe I can convince the other half that we need to take a trip home at that time.

Herman
Old 01-27-2016, 02:05 PM
Crius

OK, I'm in. I've already spoken to both Brian (the guy running the show) and Mike by phone so I'll volunteer to shoulder a lot of the grunt work with coordination, logistics and keeping track of everything. I think this could really be something special. Unfortunately Bret won't be available (thebennyB) and that bites because he is definitely one of the hobby's finest. So who else should we attempt to draft? Rustytrax is close, and I'd be tickled to death if we could get Ryan (RMDphotography) and Chase (Roboticus Prime) in on this. We might also be able to get some of our Canadian tankers down for this one. That would be kick-ass. There are a lot of really great guys just across that bridge. Maybe we can even get Airbrushler to finally get some papers to come over the bridge! Wow, the possibilities!!
Old 01-27-2016, 02:06 PM
Crius

Herman, you're participation would be fantastic! Let us know if we have to get up a petition to convince your better half.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.