Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Wings & Warbirds Air Show in Port Clinton, OH, Needs R/C Tanks

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Wings & Warbirds Air Show in Port Clinton, OH, Needs R/C Tanks

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 02:07 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
I'll see what I can do too, maybe I can drag bossman into it
Don't tease us, Bro. You'd be an addition beyond value.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:14 PM
Crius

Brian says we'll have about 80x100 feet of space, all putting green grass length. We'll be able to set up a nice display, I'll bring all my current buildings and as many as I can get together between now and then. I'm gonna have to rent a freakin' trailer to haul it all! We'll need an apron for tankers and spectators around the field, too, so maybe a battlefield 40x60 feet? I'll have to see about staging space, too. It's at an airport and should attract a mid five figure crowd, according to Brian's past experience. could be excellent exposure for the hobby.

RC tankers get free admission and camping, we might want to put together a roster when the time comes. Still a ways off, but it sounds really good so far. If we can get a few more involved I'd say it's a go. I'm supposed to call Brian back by the weekend, so you guys let me know what you think I should say.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:04 PM
ChuckATruck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've helped do a few displays/demonstrations At the Ix center in Cleveland and at a couple fairgrounds for the scale rock crawler club I was in. For Summit Racing's Truckfest they dropped a dump truck load of dirt and let us make a course. At the i-x center (which used to be a tank factory). We would bring in a course on a trailer. The trailer had fold down sides with the crawling course already built on it. And we would bring in some extra rocks in wagons. These displays where set up during the piston power show, there was a lot of people. I'd like to help anyway i can but I'm really just now learning your side of the rc hobby world
Old 01-27-2016, 04:32 PM
Crius

Chuck, that sounds like exactly the kind of experience we're looking for. Consider yourself drafted, Sir. How does Major Chuck sound?
Old 01-28-2016, 06:57 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just remember to not kill yourselves on a set up. People just want to see the tanks do their thing. For sure the buildings and such will look nice, but you don't want to spend half the day setting up, rather playing and talking to people. Wish I could help you guys out, just don't think I can get the kids watched on travel days. If something comes up I'll definitely keep an eye on this. Would love to meet some of you guys in person as well.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:36 PM
Crius

We're not giving up on you yet, Bret.

I had another long conversation with Brian, the Director of the RC show. The goal for this year is to get as many tankers as we can (realistically I'll be happy if I can get 6 to 8 guys seriously involved in this, but more are always welcome) to bring their toys and put on a display for the public. We'll be afforded an area 100' x 85', grass cut down to putting green height, electricity, free show admission for each tanker plus one, and free camping at the campground.

I'm willing to work very hard to see this come to life, guys, and I'll be there with all my toys. I can provide several tanks that I'll allow anyone that wants to have a go drive, and I have some pretty fine hobbygrade tanks in both airsoft and IR. I spoke to one man that wants to attend and was worried he doesn't have a tammy compatible tank, but I have at least two so I'll need an extra driver anyway. I'll be there for the whole thing from Friday to Sunday. I truly believe that this will be good for the hobby. Brian says they had attendance topping 6 thousand last year. If we do a display for 6 thousand people and at least 5 don't buy tanks within 30 days then we had a crappy display.

Mike (OldMSgt) is firmly on board and is a terrific guy that I can't wait to work with, but so far I think he and I (and possibly ChuckaTruck) are the only ones that are "For Sure". But, it's still a long way off so we have time, so if you think you can be there and want to participate we can definitely use the help. It's gonna be a lot of fun, but I think the main thing to stay focused on is that this will be a valuable contribution to the hobby in general.

And we desperately need leads on 1/6 scale tanks. I need to track down some of these guys and see if they'll come play with us, too.

Erik is still looking into the possibility of getting Imex involved, and it will be huge if he's successful.

And we need a Commanding Officer. Any volunteers?

More later.

Last edited by Crius; 01-30-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:24 AM
godofthunder77

Ok Guys, it's Brian from the air show. I have been talking with Gary in Michigan and we are working together on this. Right now here is the deal. I have an area set aside 100'x85' for 1/16 scale battle tanks. I am also looking for tanks around 1/6 scale in size or bigger to participate in the Saturday PYRO show with RC aircraft. My vision is to simulate an Allied Vs Axis air raid and ground battle in front of all the crowd. This will only be Saturday for the Pyro but 1/6 scale tanks are free to drive around the area to gain more interest from the crowd the whole weekend. The 1/16 scale tanks have their designated grass battlefield. The field will be mowed down to the nub, like a RC airplane runway. See attached map of location. I will be getting a registration form built to have tankers register online. YOU MUST REGISTER ONLINE TO GET ACCESS TO THE SHOW. For tankers to get into the event you must be on the registration list. There is free camping on the airfield for RC'ers ONLY. Keep in mind that there are no hookups onsite but generators are allowed and porta jons are available. I am looking into getting electric available for the 1/16 scale battlefield so batteries can be charged. You must provide your own EZ-UP canopy for yourself and all canopies must be staked in the ground or weighted down in case of high winds. As far as frequencies, the 2.4Ghz is only for aircraft, so FM is allowed for the tanks.

I need someone to take the helm on dressing up the battlefield for your liking. As of now it will be a short cut mowed field that will be roped off so spectators can watch. I do want to see if a landscaper will want to donate\sponsor dressing up the field to show of and advertise their talents, but that must be cleared through the airport for me to do that. More information to come on that.

I will let everyone know in the forum when the registration site is up. Make sure to like our Facebook site as well: http://www.facebook.com/RcWarbirdsOverPortClinton I have already advertised the tanks so this is a go. This should be a lot of fun guys!

If you have any questions, shoot me a message or call me. 440-522-8490
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Layout-2016.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	619.5 KB
ID:	2144713  

Last edited by godofthunder77; 02-01-2016 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:00 PM
godofthunder77

Originally Posted by Crius

I had another long conversation with Brian, the Director of the RC show. The goal for this year is to get as many tankers as we can (realistically I'll be happy if I can get 6 to 8 guys seriously involved in this, but more are always welcome) to bring their toys and put on a display for the public. We'll be afforded an area 100' x 85', grass cut down to putting green height, electricity, free show admission for each tanker plus one, and free camping at the campground.

I'm willing to work very hard to see this come to life, guys, and I'll be there with all my toys. I can provide several tanks that I'll allow anyone that wants to have a go drive, and I have some pretty fine hobbygrade tanks in both airsoft and IR. I spoke to one man that wants to attend and was worried he doesn't have a tammy compatible tank, but I have at least two so I'll need an extra driver anyway. I'll be there for the whole thing from Friday to Sunday. I truly believe that this will be good for the hobby. Brian says they had attendance topping 6 thousand last year. If we do a display for 6 thousand people and at least 5 don't buy tanks within 30 days then we had a crappy display.

Mike (OldMSgt) is firmly on board and is a terrific guy that I can't wait to work with, but so far I think he and I (and possibly ChuckaTruck) are the only ones that are "For Sure". But, it's still a long way off so we have time, so if you think you can be there and want to participate we can definitely use the help. It's gonna be a lot of fun, but I think the main thing to stay focused on is that this will be a valuable contribution to the hobby in general.

And we desperately need leads on 1/6 scale tanks. I need to track down some of these guys and see if they'll come play with us, too.

Erik is still looking into the possibility of getting Imex involved, and it will be huge if he's successful.

More later.

TANK REGISTRATION IS OPEN!

http://www.rcwarbirdsopc.com/tank-reg.html
Old 02-01-2016, 02:11 PM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I just registered. Be there or be square!

Mike

Last edited by Old MSgt; 02-01-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:57 PM
mcm308

https://youtu.be/SzshwkTZ8Wo
Old 02-02-2016, 05:16 AM
godofthunder77

Originally Posted by Old MSgt
I just registered. Be there or be square!

Mike

I got it! Thanks Mike

Brian
Old 09-01-2016, 08:46 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Crius

More later.

So, how did this event turn out? Any pictures?

Jeff
Old 09-01-2016, 11:10 AM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

That was this past weekend??!!!! DADGUMIT!!! It'd totally slipped my mind!

It's ALL ON ME. I haven't seen or even heard anything about it for months so I forgot...

If any tankers went, how was it?

Mike (the 'fading old memory' brain in Kentucky)
Old 09-01-2016, 11:43 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hadn't heard anything either. Just assumed it lost steam and no one attended on the tank side.