Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

pleasant surprise from my HL Challenger

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

pleasant surprise from my HL Challenger

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 05:03 PM
Johnny Blaze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pleasant surprise from my HL Challenger

So I recently received my new Chally and hadn't done much with it yet while I was waiting for new road wheels and such. Well I finally got my new parts so I charged my battery and got to tanking. Much to my surprise, HL has stepped it up a lil bit and gave the turret variable speed! It's roughly 4 increments, but still awesome. I know a few people aren't happy with HL's new system, but I found it to be much nicer then the electronics in older models like my Leo. I was just curious if anyone has heard about it? I couldn't find anything about it. Anyway, I just thought it was a nice touch that I wasn't expecting. I hope Taigen will follow suit as I prefer to buy Taigen products. Most would say that better boards will offer that function anyway, but as long as the stock electronics work, I'll use them till I NEED to replace them. Then I'll upgrade. But until then, I'm happy with the new stuff.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:11 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Cool

What? No pics?

Jeff
Old 01-29-2016, 06:44 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good to know, I couldn't remember any HL boards that DIDN'T have this hehe, but the last few HL builds that I've bothered to use the stock electrics have all been the 2.4ghz, which lack the proportional steering.. cool! :P
Old 01-30-2016, 07:02 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are these elusive challengers? Certainly not in the States. Are they only available in china and the UK? Who is actually selling them currently. i know Erik has his but thats an unfair advantage he posses anyway so it is irrelevant. I need to budget for this purchase as i plan on going the same route I took with my Abrams i purchased through Dan wit a pre-installed BARC and Benedinni sound card but i havent heard of this models availability in some time.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:11 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I'd just like to see what everyone is doing to theirs!

Jeff
Old 01-30-2016, 09:26 AM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Blaze
SoHL has stepped it up a lil bit and gave the turret variable speed! It's roughly 4 increments, but still awesome.
Proportional speed for rotating/turning the turret? Or proportional driving speed? I haven't seen the former on either HL or Taigen..would be cool, though.

Originally Posted by Panther G
Where are these elusive challengers? Certainly not in the States.
Not sure if Hobby Raw is US or China, but they have them. http://www.hobbyraw.com/itemList.jsp?cid=34
Old 01-30-2016, 09:41 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

HobbyRaw is in China, and they're actually a great retailer. They'll respond to emails and put together special requests if you ask.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:54 AM
YHR

If Taigen ever come through with a factory stock board that has decent sound then 90% of people would be happy . When I first started dabbling with upgrade electronics I was very cautious on how much money I was throwing at the venture. My fear was that at anytime one of these manufactures could spend $20 more and give the market a decent sound set, and that would be enough to kill all sales. 7 years later it still hasn't happened, but wouldn't it be nice to not have to go through all the fusing adding new electronics.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:45 PM
philipat

Originally Posted by YHR
If Taigen ever come through with a factory stock board that has decent sound then 90% of people would be happy . When I first started dabbling with upgrade electronics I was very cautious on how much money I was throwing at the venture. My fear was that at anytime one of these manufactures could spend $20 more and give the market a decent sound set, and that would be enough to kill all sales. 7 years later it still hasn't happened, but wouldn't it be nice to not have to go through all the fusing adding new electronics.
YES! Erik...hint, hint...Taigen board with USB compatibility to load the right sound sets...one board for all of the tanks and sound banks to download.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:45 PM
Johnny Blaze

Sorry for no pics, haven't done much yet. I got the tank from a place in the UK, but I do live here in the States. It is the 2.4 system, as was my Leo, but the Leo's defiantly did not have the variable speed turret rotation. It was one speed ya know, hit the toggle and it was one speed wether it was little or a lot it was moved, one speed. I wouldn't say the new stuff is "proportional", but definitely variable. Like i said before, it's more like 4 different speeds. As far as tank speed goes, it's pretty smooth. The turret you can defiantly tell is 4 different speeds. I will try and get some pics up soon. Any suggestions on a color would be appreciative. I did see pics of one that was like a desert base color with black stripes that I really liked, but undecided. Let me take some pics and maybe some video and let you guys help. And with changes being made to the site, I'm clueless on how to post pics. Any help. Never mind, got it. The pic at the top is the scheme I like. Will take some pics n video now. Gimme a few
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-01-31-15-47-07.png
Views:	100
Size:	562.3 KB
ID:	2144545  

Last edited by Johnny Blaze; 01-31-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:17 PM
Johnny Blaze

Have to wait till tomorrow for video of turret speed, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160131_160649.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2144551   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160131_160731.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2144556   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160131_160719.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2144557  

Last edited by Johnny Blaze; 01-31-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:01 AM
CaptainB

Hi Johnny,

Glad you got the challenger - I'm just upgrading mine to with a Clark board and Amplifier - can I just ask where you got the metal wheels from? Tracks also?

thanks

CaptB
Old 02-01-2016, 06:46 AM
Johnny Blaze

Hey Captain, I got them from a web site another member suggested to me. DKLM RC. I've got the cast zinc ones, but he makes them out of steel also with a CNC. Not sure on the cost for the machined ones, but they are built to order, so I'm sure they're not cheap. He has made them to accept the Leo 2 tracks, so any set for the Leo should work. I am curious, does your Chally also have a variable speed turret, or is mine just a fluke? And also, are you painting yours? If so, what color/pattern are you going with.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:46 AM
Johnny Blaze

https://youtu.be/vDOf9zdugkA So here's a clip, let me know what you think
Old 02-01-2016, 07:54 AM
CaptainB

Hi Johnny,
thanks for the info - I'll have a look at those.

My Chally does not have the proportional turret speed as stock. Or it may have done and I didn't notice as I only ran it quickly as stock and then gutted it for painting and the Clark upgrade, which does have proportionate turret rotation.
Incidently, the Clark Board is a TK24 which is the new board with a neutral gear option and proportional smoker. This is really cool as you can rev the engine stationary and watch the smoke billow out.

I am painting mine Tamiya XF60 which is the Dark Yellow colour. It was a close match to the original colour of the model so I went with that. Not sure about adding too much metal to mine as I like the speed of the tank and it seems to have plenty
of grunt for my back yard bashing. I wanted the wheels because I think they look better and make the painting easier. However, I have just managed to spray the wheels okay so maybe not a problem.

Cheers

CaptB
Old 02-01-2016, 08:51 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I actually started see this change in the Abrams. If you got an Abrams from us with steel gearboxes then yours should have this already
Old 02-01-2016, 09:02 AM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4Ghz-1-16-...0AAOSwLnlWobR6

Only US retailer I've found so far...
Old 02-01-2016, 09:03 AM
Johnny Blaze

Erik, I actually do have an Abrams that you upgraded. I didn't notice it before, but I will check when I get home. I'm glad to hear that it's not just shotty electronics or a fluke. I will get back to you after I investigate. And Erik, please please PLEASE do us a favor and give us the Abrams with a metal hull! The flex on the idler wheels was a b****. I got a steel rod to bandage it up, but a metal hull would be awesome!
Old 02-01-2016, 11:03 AM
Imex-Erik

Erik, I actually do have an Abrams that you upgraded. I didn't notice it before, but I will check when I get home. I'm glad to hear that it's not just shotty electronics or a fluke. I will get back to you after I investigate. And Erik, please please PLEASE do us a favor and give us the Abrams with a metal hull! The flex on the idler wheels was a b****. I got a steel rod to bandage it up, but a metal hull would be awesome!
NP, it will be done. We will also make some solid metal lower hulls for the Leo2 and Chally as well. Just need a bit of time to figure out where in the assembly line to put it all Got a bunch of tanks coming this year and a bunch of upgrades too.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:51 PM
Johnny Blaze

Awesome! I joined the newsletter, so I'll be waiting. I will making a part list I will need you to fill, so maybe I'll wait a little while and see what other goodies you'll have to offer before I do soo.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:37 PM
Johnny Blaze

Erik, just checked it out. Sadly, the Abrams doesn't have it. All my tanks have their stock electronics and the Chally is the only one that does.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:18 PM
borealis

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

So HL is improving their boards. It is possible they had to adjust the firmware to do that.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:14 AM
Johnny Blaze

Borealis, I hope someone else can help with that answer, because I don't even know what firmware is! I am probably the most computer illiterate person on this forum. I don't even own a computer. I do all my internet surfing from my phone. Like all these new boards people put in their tanks with programmable sounds and such, I haven't got a clue about that stuff. I know enough to put new stuff in, and what it can operate, but that's it.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:43 AM
Imex-Erik

Erik, just checked it out. Sadly, the Abrams doesn't have it. All my tanks have their stock electronics and the Chally is the only one that does.
Hmmm well I know some of them have it Sorry I thought they all did.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:21 AM
stvski80085

I second the metal hull for the Abrams. Love the tank but the front idlers are horrible. I had to get the front idler bar upgrade too.

They just shipped my Torro King Tiger today. Can't wait.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.