Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Radio question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 09:57 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Radio question

For all the radio nerds on here, I caught a great deal on a Flysky 10 channel i10. Bought it and like it a lot so far...except for one annoying feature. The radio will not allow you to turn it off if the receiver is still powered up, which means you cannot shut off a Tamiya tank by killing the radio. Anyone know a way around this?
Old 02-02-2016, 05:08 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The old Spektrum radios had this same problem. Believe people were using a Pico switch on a 5th or 6th channel to kill power to the receiver.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:33 AM
yellowshaker

I thought I remembered reading that somewhere, Bret. A search yielded no results though. But you are saying that if I connect a pico switch to an extra channel, I can then wire it up to kill the main power to the receiver? How does it work in terms of turning the power on then?
Old 02-02-2016, 09:45 AM
ausf

I'm pretty sure the Attack 2.4 that comes with the later ones like the JS-2 do it, I can't remember exactly and I'm not near the tank at the moment. As far I recall, there's no binding with them, so you could turn off the Tx without causing a runaway.

With Spektrum, I could remotely turn off the HLs with a DBC3 using the gear switch, but never managed to do it with Tamiya like you can with the old FM or AM Txs. I'm glad I hung on to my old Futaba Attacks, especially now with subs since 2.4 doesn't penetrate water.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:53 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

I just got the same radio (i10) but I think I like that feature. You have to turn off the tank before you turn off the radio, and that's a good habit to get into.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:02 AM
TheBennyB

Not 100% on this Joe since I've never done it. I'm not sure if the pico has a 2nd power supply or not. Your right though, not sure how it would have power/signal to then turn back on
when turned off. They may have just been using it as a kill switch to completely kill the tank while it was on the battlefield. Unfortunately the HEAT website seems to be down as alot of those guys are the ones I remember doing it back in the day.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:44 AM
TheBennyB

Found a couple things for ya. Again this was for the old Spektrum stuff so who knows if it'll help ya. Place to start though.

http://www.desertarmor.com/DAK_TECH_...to%20Sleep.pdf

http://jbwid.com/art74c.htm (scroll down to "snooze control")
Old 02-02-2016, 12:08 PM
yellowshaker

Thanks Bret.
Crius, the point of this is to shut the tank engine down on a Tamiya by turning the radio off. This is how they work. Turn the radio back on and the tank fires up. It really isn't a big deal if it cannot be done, but strange that a radio has tis feature and there is no way that I can see to turn it off.
I can see using a separate power supply for the receiver to do this, Brett. in all honesty, I may simply keep my Tamiya tanks on the RDS 8000 and use this new radio for the elmod tanks. They use a different strategy as you know, so this feature will not make a difference. I will read through the pages you linked and see what they are doing. Might actually learn something
Old 02-03-2016, 08:02 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowshaker
Thanks Bret.
Crius, the point of this is to shut the tank engine down on a Tamiya by turning the radio off. This is how they work. Turn the radio back on and the tank fires up. It really isn't a big deal if it cannot be done, but strange that a radio has tis feature and there is no way that I can see to turn it off.
I can see using a separate power supply for the receiver to do this, Brett. in all honesty, I may simply keep my Tamiya tanks on the RDS 8000 and use this new radio for the elmod tanks. They use a different strategy as you know, so this feature will not make a difference. I will read through the pages you linked and see what they are doing. Might actually learn something
I would try contacting Diamond Hobby and asking about that feature. I noticed it too but I liked it as well. Gets me in the habit of TX power off last I know there is a new update coming soon, I think it is 1.09? I think the front screen is due for an update too I hear. Maybe that can be added as an option.