Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Need some advise

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 03:18 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Need some advise

Hi guys I sold a tank recently and despite my best efforts the courier seems to have used it as a football and it's been damaged in transit. An idler arm has broken and it needs some bits sticking back on. I've offered to pay return postage be make repairs to bring it to as sold condition (at my expense) l. Does this sound fair? Or should I (as the buyer insists) refund him because he's decided he doesn't want it no matter what?

Last edited by tomhugill; 02-20-2016 at 03:25 AM.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:01 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

THAT is what insurance is for.

Jeff
Old 02-20-2016, 05:19 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Unfortunately, Tom, the buyer now has an excuse to back out of the deal, and in my humble opinion you should honor his request for a refund. I think it's pretty crappy of him to do that, but he is within his rights. The only silver lining I see in that cloud is that by refunding his money and taking the tank back it will bolster your reputation as a man that does what is necessary to ensure a satisfied customer.

Personally I think the guy's an idjit. Your offer was more than fair and if it were me I'd have been satisfied with your solution. He's passing up the opportunity to have a tank built by one of our finest builders. However, the bottom line is that the tank he received isn't the same as the tank he bought, so no matter how much I'd enjoy punching him in the nose, I recommend that you take the high road and get the tank back.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of tank is it?
Old 02-20-2016, 05:33 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I would refund the money and take the tank back.

If the damage was not their fault, they should be able to return it. That's why I always insure valuable things I mail for twice the value, so I can give them their money back and pocket a bit myself if the carrier loses or destroys it.

Good luck with this issue.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:18 AM
Shorty54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, refund and take it back. You were right to offer the repair, and that was great. Depending on the person buying the tank, sometimes the buyer get a bad taste in their mouth when something has to be sent back and repaired right away. They will always have an issue with it, (mostly in their head) a squeek, a wobble , a weird noise, all stuff that wouldn't have been there if it wasn't broke in the beginning. I have delt with many of those people in my repair business. I have learned to be the better person and just make it right, even if it cost me time and money. Then I know I did the right thing and I can sleep at night. They have to deal with their own conscience. It also helps your reputation, not that it needs helping, just as long as buyers don't start abusing you, buying it, not liking it,, or made a bad deceision on their part and knowing they can send it back, you don't want that either. I also stop doing business with the ones that take advantage or abuse me. Customer service is tough now days, customers don't take responsibility for their action anymore, they want to blame it on someone else. The problem here is, its not your fault and its not the buyers fault, it the shipping company. They should be punched in the nose by Crius,lol. Good luck
Old 02-20-2016, 06:41 AM
tomhugill

Thanks for the advise guys, I'll refund him as it's probably not worth the hassle otherwise. , it's fully insured so worst case is I repair it and sell again, if I'm lucky I'll also get some insurance.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:51 AM
Shorty54

You forgot to tell us what tank it was? Just in case someone might be looking?
Old 02-20-2016, 07:03 AM
tomhugill

It's the super Pershing in the forsale section.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:55 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by tomhugill
Thanks for the advise guys, I'll refund him as it's probably not worth the hassle otherwise. , it's fully insured so worst case is I repair it and sell again, if I'm lucky I'll also get some insurance.

That's why I asked as I have had a few items damaged in shipment. It's not about being the finest builder, or an all around good guy doing the right thing. People WILL take advantage of the situation and you DO need to protect yourself. Without knowing all the facts and the details about being insured... yeah, you did your best and all of the above advice is the right way to go. Well, except the punching of the nose.

I wouldn't dream of building to sell for this very reason. I have sold for over 12 years on eBay and here and/or there, but the thought of sending one of our heavy tanks in the mail? Whoa.

But you must also think of the buyers point of view. No thought of fault on the shippers end, but what if it happens again on the return trip? Maybe he hadn't thought of THAT consequence? And we ALL must endure the old saying... "The Customer is always King" so looking out for them as well as ourselves will go a long way.

Jeff
Old 02-20-2016, 08:20 AM
Crius

So that's one vote for a punch in the nose and one against. Can I get a tiebreaker?

Seriously though, I never said anyone should actually BE punched in the nose, I simply observed that it would prove quite enjoyable. Just one more fun thing that responsibility will keep me from enjoying.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:23 AM
Crius

Originally Posted by tomhugill
It's the super Pershing in the forsale section.
I remember that tank. A real beauty. I've actually recommended that very tank to a couple of guys. If it wasn't for that durned international shipping ...

And an empty wallet!
Old 02-20-2016, 08:51 AM
Shorty54

Ok, no nose punching! I do think these shipping companies could take more pride in their work. I'm surprised the amount of packages I get that have holes punched through them. Kind of reminds me of the first Ace Ventura Pet Detective movie, when hes kicking the package down the sidewalk.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:03 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry you are going through this Tom i hope everyone happy in the end
Old 02-20-2016, 03:24 PM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pah co chu puk
I would refund the money and take the tank back.

If the damage was not their fault, they should be able to return it. That's why I always insure valuable things I mail for twice the value, so I can give them their money back and pocket a bit myself if the carrier loses or destroys it.

Good luck with this issue.
yup....
Old 02-20-2016, 03:36 PM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shorty54
Ok, no nose punching! I do think these shipping companies could take more pride in their work. I'm surprised the amount of packages I get that have holes punched through them. Kind of reminds me of the first Ace Ventura Pet Detective movie, when hes kicking the package down the sidewalk.
I have to reply to this.... we all get pissy when our boxes get to the house all banged up.. but the fact is...(I'm a driver, first hand knowledge here) We don't want to destroy your stuff.. but "Traffic happens"... in the most simplest terms... You ever spill a drink, or lose your fry's, or had to slam on the brakes because of stupid mistakes that either you,, or an another driver makes.... as a Driver... You WOULDN'T believe how many people cut us off, and we have to make that truck do things that hurt shipments, crush boxes, and destroy peoples new products they ordered... I see it ALL the time... Most of my freight is from Amazon,,, and you should see what 1000 miles does to the boxes sometimes!!! Holy hell !!!! hahahaha... But I will give you the BEST tip anyone will ever offer... There are places that are "SAFE ZONES" in trailers...(2 corner) bracing... in other words "High dollar" freight goes in these spots... as well as "AIRCRAFT PARTS"... get some stickers made that say,,, (Fragile, AIRCRAFT PARTS) "Red Letters",,and put 10 or so stickers on the box... These boxes MIGHT get a ding in them,, but will, for the most part arrive in GREAT condition....

your welcome...... Rod
Old 02-20-2016, 03:49 PM
Shorty54

Good to know info Rod, thank you.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:06 PM
tomhugill

Originally Posted by cublover
I have to reply to this.... we all get pissy when our boxes get to the house all banged up.. but the fact is...(I'm a driver, first hand knowledge here) We don't want to destroy your stuff.. but "Traffic happens"... in the most simplest terms... You ever spill a drink, or lose your fry's, or had to slam on the brakes because of stupid mistakes that either you,, or an another driver makes.... as a Driver... You WOULDN'T believe how many people cut us off, and we have to make that truck do things that hurt shipments, crush boxes, and destroy peoples new products they ordered... I see it ALL the time... Most of my freight is from Amazon,,, and you should see what 1000 miles does to the boxes sometimes!!! Holy hell !!!! hahahaha... But I will give you the BEST tip anyone will ever offer... There are places that are "SAFE ZONES" in trailers...(2 corner) bracing... in other words "High dollar" freight goes in these spots... as well as "AIRCRAFT PARTS"... get some stickers made that say,,, (Fragile, AIRCRAFT PARTS) "Red Letters",,and put 10 or so stickers on the box... These boxes MIGHT get a ding in them,, but will, for the most part arrive in GREAT condition....

your welcome...... Rod

Cheers rod, interesting stuff!