Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

German fuel/water cans on tanks?

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

German fuel/water cans on tanks?

Old 03-08-2016, 04:38 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Question German fuel/water cans on tanks?

Does anyone have any images of cans placed on Panther tanks? I have found plenty of infantry support tanks like StuGs, plus the Mark III and IV's but no Panthers. I guess they were more about tank-on-tank use than carrying supplies. And IF they did hang them on the turret or upper hull, were they wired on for a quick release off the tank like say a grab handle?

And how can one tell the difference between the cans made for fuel and water during WWII in German service? Were they stamped or painted a certain way?

I need a quick education on fuel cans I guess as there MUST have been a way to keep them from being mixed up.

Jeff
Old 03-08-2016, 06:31 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

I have looked for, but never found pictures of Panther tanks with fuel cans / barrels riding on them.

Fuel cans were solid color, water cans had a white cross shape on them, one stripe about an inch wide vertical, and one horizontal, meeting in the middle.

This is modeled as a water can in this diorama I did with my stug.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50769.jpg
Views:	958
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	2151423  

Last edited by Pah co chu puk; 03-08-2016 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:43 AM
bhop73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this, but I think it's unusual. I've never seen any other pics of a panther with jerry cans, or almost any stowage. I wonder if they just had more support vehicles at that stage in the war to carry them?
Old 03-08-2016, 06:45 AM
bhop73

Here's another I just found with some strapped in the back.. next to the exhausts.. seems like an odd place to put flammable fuel, so i'd guess they're probably water.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:36 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Thumbs up

Oh yeah... the ones on the rear hull of the Early G are welded on brackets near the exhaust. I've seen that before and those would work if I were not working on the Late G where space is an issue. But the ones wired on the D Panther side armor where the spare tracks are stored is a new one on me as I have NEVER seen that one before!

Thanks guys for the photographic evidence AND the education on water VS fuel can distinction!

Jeff
Old 03-08-2016, 08:14 AM
Rustytrax

Here

and here

I saw a G in Hungry with stowage strapped on the sides.

Last edited by Rustytrax; 03-08-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:23 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

A broad diagonal WHITE cross on a BLACK background is a universally recognised identifier for a water container on military vehicles.
Shaun.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:56 PM
1sgt

I have also seen pics with a white " w " painted on the cans to signify water. The Panther with the cans next to the exhaust may have been for water. What better way to have warm water to wash with.