Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Sherman Firefly VC Kits Coming Soon!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Sherman Firefly VC Kits Coming Soon!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 07:34 AM
dgsselkirk

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Sherman Firefly VC Kits Coming Soon!

Well since the cat is out of the bag in a few places...

Ever since I got into the 1/16 R/C hobby in 2011 I have waited for someone to produce a nice, reasonably priced, 1/16 Sherman Firefly VC kit to battle all those pesky Tigers on our battlefields.... And I waited... and I waited... and I got tired of waiting...

DGS Military Hobby and Vandramodels are pleased to announce that we will be releasing a 1/16 Sherman Firefly VC resin kit within the next few months. DGS Military Hobby will be the exclusive distributor for the U.K. North America and pretty much everywhere else outside of Europe and Russia. I will have a shipper in the U.K so those customers don't have to pay stupid freight rates from North America.

The kit will consist of:

A complete new small hatch upper M4A4 style to fit a HengLong M4A3 105 kit. Of course with a little work it can probably fit a Tamiya or Taigen as well...

Complete new Firefly turret featuring a split hatch commanders cupola that can be made functional where the IR apple can be mounted. The re-designed square loaders hatch which can also be made functional to locate a power switch if desired. You also get a 17pdr aluminum/resin barrel mounted in the proper 6 bolt gun mantlet. This turret is also set up to utilize the HengLong elevation mechanism and will also set up for our own servo recoil system for an additional cost.

We are also considering assorted deck accessories like crew bags, tarps, extra mounted track for the front glacis, crates, boxes, camo nets, and even real sand bags for that authentic Sherman look!

Assorted waterslide decals for British, Canadian, Polish Firefly VC

The first run DGS Military Hobby will have 50 kits and we will be offering pre-sales in the next month or so. We estimate the complete kit will retail between $140.00 and $175.00 USD depending on options, plus shipping.

If you are interested in getting in line, you can PM me and let me know you are interested and when pre-sale begins you will be contacted to see if you would like to commit. Those who do express an interest will also be sent via regular e-mail, pictures and updates as we move closer to casting time.

Please be patient with me. I work full time and am just starting to wind this up as a side line so if it takes a few days for me to get back to you my apologies but it may take that long!

You can have a look at some of my work and some other items I dabble with at:
http://dgsselkirk.wix.com/dgsmilitaryhobby

Any questions at all let me know and thanks for your interest...

Regards
Dean
Old 03-22-2016, 10:20 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Really looking forward to this! The way I'm going I'll have a ic, composite and a vc. Looking forward to progress pictures!
Old 03-22-2016, 10:43 AM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

What about the lower longer hull?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sherman Hulls.jpg
Views:	906
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	2153740  
Old 03-22-2016, 12:41 PM
dgsselkirk

Hi edoubleaz,

It will use the standard HL M4A3 lower so sorry no, we will not be addressing the longer lower hull. The upper will only be made to fit it proper. In the 1 to 1 scale the lower hull was lengthened 11 inches. Translated to 1/16 that works out to be just over 1/2 an inch so certainly not noticeable on an IR battlefield really. And if we made it to fit a lengthened lower hull the amount of work to change the HL lower would be immense. Virtually EVERYTHING would technically have to move not to mention a complete re-do of the rear end to be balls accurate. Honestly my hats off to the guys on this forum and others who do those completely detailed and balls accurate conversions but our purpose is more to put a Tiger/Panther hunter on the field...

Hope you understand.

TXS
Dean
Old 03-22-2016, 05:35 PM
regsbyg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Dean
sounds great. Don't know how far along you are but have you considered Mk Ic. Firefly(not hybrid version). No worries a bout hull length and rear deck already exists in 1/16 on Tamiya Sherman. Also it had a cast transmission which is available on most rc Sherman's from heng long and taigen.
looking forward to further progress
cheers
Dave
Old 03-23-2016, 07:19 AM
dgsselkirk

Hi Dave,

One at a time buddy! $$$ We wanted to start with the absolute most common one to give the maximum amount of variety for markings etc... Forgive my ignorance but I thought all Tamiya's kits come with HVSS? I have never seen an IC with with that...
Old 03-23-2016, 07:40 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think he is talking about the top deck not the suspension,

What kind of casting technique are you using?

If you can do it for that price my hats off to you.

You should do up the small hatch hull as a separate piece and make it available outside of the firefly package. I already have the molds to do the turret, mantlet and hatches, so that doesn't interest me but the hull would have a bigger market appeal as it was widely used on other tanks beside the FF. As much as I personally like the FF, it is the small hatch hull that is really needed in this market.

Either way, the components should have some demand. Like you I got tired of waiting so I did my own slush casting of the turrets, but never could produce them at a rate that would make them commercially viable.

Good luck with everything.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:52 AM
regsbyg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep I meant the rear top deck. you also have it on Mato M4A1 with cast hull. I understand about the options as Vc was more widely used.
Dave
Old 03-23-2016, 08:59 AM
dgsselkirk

Ahh... sorry Save! :-) Thought you were talking about Tamiya as the whole thing... A little birdie has told me you might get your wish on the IC very soon but not from me... :-)

Yes Dan, I have considered doing that, just selling the small hatch. It's not in the immediate plans but let me get through the first shot and see where we are...
Old 03-23-2016, 01:01 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried to track down the supplier of these metal hulls to see if they would reissue them for kit use, but had no luck.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020904.jpg
Views:	1725
Size:	676.4 KB
ID:	2153894  
Old 03-29-2016, 07:40 AM
dgsselkirk

I think they are defunct from what I remember...

So one thing I forgot to mention in my opening message was that people who go on the pre-sale list and go through with a purchase will receive a special bonus discount. We are getting close to casting now and once we are that far we will begin pre-sales...

And thanks to all the guys who have stepped forward so far!