Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Radio Syatems and the IBU2 series of special effect systems

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Radio Syatems and the IBU2 series of special effect systems

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 02:09 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Radio Syatems and the IBU2 series of special effect systems

Since I got into representing these products I've learned much. I'm not perfect and I'm far from knowing everything but I've learned.

So far I've coupled the IBU with

Futaba FP-T7NFK Tx ( 76Mhz) using a GWS R6N II/H 6 channel receiver
Futaba T8UAF Tx ( Fasst 2,4Ghz module) and Futaba R617FS 7 ch receiver
Futaba T8UAF Tx ( FrSky DFT 2,4Ghz Module) ( receiver escapes me for the moment)
Turnigy i10 Tx with TGY-iA10 receiver
Spektrum Dx6 with AE 610 receiver
Turnigy 9x Tx using a 9x 8c V2 receiver

I have to say that I'm a life-long Futaba fanboy. It started when I first got into this stuff in the 1970s.
Futaba had the most readily available robust stuff I could get and their systems always worked with my
gas powered tanks AND they had the best servos. I loved and still use their giganto S10 servos. Nothing
held a candle to those beasties for steering a gas tank.

This said I'm slowly being converted to being a Turnigy fanboy. The 9x and 9xPro( assuming it shows up soon)
have gone a long way to converting me.

More specifically the er9x software. I modified my first 9x to allow flashing the firmware ( no not the smartieparts board
either- old school soldering a header to the main board ).

Ivano had recommended the 9x and I can see why, it's a wonderful bit of kit. I like the fact that I can define just about anything
with er9x and eepe. Must come from having been an assembler programmer in my early days with c/c++ coming after. I fully
intend to pull down the source from their Subversion repos and see what I can do with it.

Harkening back to my earliest Futaba days I prefer my throttle on the y-axis of the left stick ( pure mode II) , steering on the x -axis
of the left stick with turret the x axis and elevation on the y-axis of the right stick.( gas models require more channels)

With the 9x being discontinued that leaves the 9xPro and others of that ilk. I only wish I have jumped on the 9x sooner, heard guys speaking of it but never considered it...I'm hoping to locate some of the megasound cards for the 9x but I see they've been discontinued by the maker unfortunately.

I want to explore some of the other flavors of open source Tx software, it's the first time I can meld my profession and hobby on a project...

**** Edit ***
Oh yes, I forgot to add a Futaba T9CAP with Fasst 2.4Ghz Tx Module and Futaba R617FS 7 ch receiver to the list above.

Jerry

Last edited by Tanque; 04-03-2016 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:36 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a flysky th9xb (The original turnigy 9x) with a smartieparts board and absolutelly love it.

Now I need to buy another radio for playing with my sons and I was considering to buy the turnigy i10. What do you recommend me to do? The Turnigy i10 or another 9x with er9x?
Old 04-03-2016, 11:10 PM
Tanque

I might as well say this on top so you can avoid all my chatter below..

I suppose I'd recommend the Turnigy 9xPro.

The Turnigy 9x has been discontinued( still available from HobbyKing's US warehouse - not sure about availability in Europe ) in favor of the 9xPro which also uses a specialized version of er9x - Ersky9x. Haven't
looked into the availability of base versions of Ersky9x.to play with and don't yet know how it differs
from say er9x_128.

The i10 is a impressive system, although I could have done without the silvery finish and a very capable system I'd still go with a 9x type. When ever I get my order of a 9xPro ( the FrSky XJT ACCST 2.4GHz Tx module has been on backorder for at least a month. ) I'll be able evaluate it.

I like the telemetry capabilities of these advanced Turnigy systems; for my gas powered tanks: engine speed, temperature... if only they had a fuel level module that would be the cat's whiskers...but we don't really need all that for the electric models.

The i10 sends back an indication of what the receiver battery's voltage is and when running a IBU2 or similar where the receiver's power is supplied externally by the main battery pack you get a view of that battery's health for free.

Jerry
Old 04-04-2016, 01:00 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for your help, I think i would stick with the 9x... The turnigy 9x might be discontinued, but you can still find loads of the original 9x in aliexpress:

http://www.aliexpress.com/af/flysky-...t=flysky+th9xb

It comes with the module and dettachable receiver, so is not expensive.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:18 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I like the 9x (have 2 myself) but I have since moved on the the Frsky Taranis. The Taranis is one of if not the best transmitters you can get IMO.
Pros:
-Runs OPENTX, but can be flashed with a firmware of your choice.
-Great quality and easy to get replacements
-16 channels stock, ability to run 32ch
-Can use modules, so no need to replace your old receivers
-More community support and features than any other radio I've seen ever
-Amazing telemetry and modification options
-Not very expensive (~200 with RX)
-Cheap telemetry and Rx options. PWM, PPM, and Sbus options with true diversity and replaceable Rx antennas.
-Easy to self center!
-Open Source! If you don't like something, you have the code to do what you wish.

Cons:
-Steeper learning curve than some others, but remember there are almost no limits to what you can do.
-Sometimes hard to find in Stock as they are pretty popular.

I test a lot of radios and I will say the programming is a bit more difficult, but the Taranis has more YouTube videos than you could ever wish for.
The easiest radio I've had the pleasure to work with was Radiolink, I would recommend the AT9 to anyone worried about programming.
I've had the IBU2 working with both np

Last edited by Imex-Erik; 04-04-2016 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:46 AM
Tanque

I've seen the Frsky Taranis, nice radio; won't argue that.

Still, for $70 the 9x/9xPro from HK is a tough act to follow.

For most guys on a budget that price is a winner.

Sure a bit of work is required to bring the older 9x into its own but not that much or
difficult. And it can support telemetry if one is up to a bit of ticklish soldering...

It's a departure for me as I was always spending for Futaba high end systems but honestly
I have so many models I don't want to /can't spend that much to trick them all out in Futaba finery. The Turnigy stuff is a dream come true...

Jerry