Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Are these water-transfer decals?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Are these water-transfer decals?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 09:03 AM
maillemaker

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Are these water-transfer decals?

Is anyone familiar with Peddinghaus decals?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peddinghaus-...IAAOSwNSxVJqu6

Are these water transfer?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 04-08-2016, 09:19 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes they are, but they aren't the easiest to work with - you'll need a good decal setting solution to prevent them silvering, and be sure to cut away as much of the surrounding backing as possible before you apply them.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:29 AM
maillemaker

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Does anyone know of some good stencils to use instead?

Steve
Old 04-08-2016, 10:45 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

If you're just painting Balkan Crosses it's not that hard to make them. For numbers there's a guy that makes them, but I can't remember who.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:13 PM
mcovalsk

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes they are
Old 04-08-2016, 11:15 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

If you have an "INKJET" printer you can buy Decal paper from E-BAY in different forms ie Clear,and different colour and different sizes,
Just adjust the font size and select the colour from the palette then type the letters/numbers and "Print",
This is Waterslide paper so the usual tips on using such decals apply.
Shaun..
Old 04-09-2016, 10:01 AM
Crius

Shaun, I make my own decals from time to time, and the trouble he'll have here is that white outline around the numbers. I've seen some guys have success there by painting the number in white with a stencil (or cutting it from solid white decal film) and then using decals to get the red, but it's a lot easier to buy pre-made decals.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:22 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

if you want 1st class decals, I suggest looking for elite armor decals on ebay - best I have found so far, easy to apply and still looks good years after
Old 04-09-2016, 03:11 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Gary Hi, I first began making my own when I started building 1/9 r/c Aircraft, I needed decals for a DHC2 Beaver that I was painting in the colours of a British Army model,
I won't bother you with the adventures I suffered getting to a decent paint finish but as to decals in 1/9th,
They were expensive both because of their size and because they were bespoke,
That's when I decided to make my own,
I wanted white on clear but as you pointed out elsewhere, an Epson 5 colour printer won't oblige ,
Fortunately the British Army changed their scheme from white to black so my problem was solved but for 1/16 armour as you observe a black over white can't be done nor a red, I wanted to make up a set of decals for a KARKOV Tiger 1 which were white but instead I had to get out the stencils and a "PENTEL BRUSH PEN" If you don't know, it is a multi-filament non hair brush with a reservoir that you fill with Acrylic paint of your choice and apply, they come in 3 different tips but I would have preferred to use a decal.
In the past when I have needed to "Edge" letters I use a stencil to control a marker pen of the required colour and as long as one of the colours does not overpower the other it will surround the inner colour and look ok. Shaun.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:38 PM
Crius

I like the sounds of the stencil for edging, and I can see myself trying that out, maybe on a white number with red edging. The black/white 7 on this FW190 is done with masking tape and an Iwata.

A little thin on the left, but overall pretty easy to do, mainly since the seven doesn't have any curves.

It's been a while since I investigated, are the alpine printers still the only ones that do white? That stuff advances so fast it's hard to keep up.