Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Back yard fun!

Old 05-11-2016, 02:28 PM
Markocaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pah co chu puk
Tankland is not in my backyard. It's on some land I own, but not where I live. There is a small cabin up there, so it's kind of in my yard. I picked cinder blocks cause they were free, and durable.

I moved the cinder block village last weekend to a better spot. It's more open, has two streams, and a nice mountain view. The old village location was boxed in, and could only be attacked from one direction, this new location has five directions to be attacked from. I still have lots of work to do expanding and improving on it, but I took these pictures just after I set the cinder blocks.

It's cool to see the backyard layouts you guys have come up with.

Thanks for posting these great photos. The cinder block buildings look great I am going to get a few and add a roof to them like you did
You have a great space! The more I see the bigger a yard I want lol! But I'm not moving!!!
Cheers Mark
Old 05-12-2016, 06:07 PM
ChuckATruck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a little work on my rc playground yesterday and got to run on it today.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:42 PM
Markocaster

Originally Posted by ChuckATruck
I did a little work on my rc playground yesterday and got to run on it today.

[URL=http://s883.photobucket.com/user/CHUCKATRUCK/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160512_194501.jpg.html][/URL

That's fantastic. Your bridge looks awesome Chuck!
Old 05-12-2016, 07:03 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

That is a nice bridge. I worked on my Tankland today some. I put in a bridge and graded roads.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4566.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	3.67 MB
ID:	2162227   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4577.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	4.32 MB
ID:	2162228   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4579.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	3.65 MB
ID:	2162229   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4582.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	4.94 MB
ID:	2162230   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4586.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	4.19 MB
ID:	2162231  
Old 05-12-2016, 11:44 PM
sollie

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Some good looking stuff Chuck and Pah
Old 05-30-2016, 12:53 PM
Pah co chu puk

I did some more work on Tankland, I started making paved streets for the village.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO0wJC2MmWo&feature=youtu.be
Old 05-30-2016, 01:29 PM
Markocaster

I did some more work on Tankland, I started making paved streets for the village.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO0wJC2MmWo&feature=youtu.be
that looks great, is that roofing material for roads? Your doing a great job!
Old 05-30-2016, 01:42 PM
sollie

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Sweet stuff Pah. Thanks for taking the time to share
Old 05-30-2016, 02:38 PM
Pah co chu puk

Thanks guys.

It is left over asphalt roofing shingles. My plan is to get some of that roof patch tar in a can and paint it on the shingles, then spread sand into it while it's wet. After it dries, I'll sweep the excess sand off and have a blacktop road. I hope.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:16 PM
Markocaster

Thanks guys.

It is left over asphalt roofing shingles. My plan is to get some of that roof patch tar in a can and paint it on the shingles, then spread sand into it while it's wet. After it dries, I'll sweep the excess sand off and have a blacktop road. I hope.
sounds like a good plan, post pics when finished
Old 05-31-2016, 08:15 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Very cool. I'm think of finally building a small outdoor diorama in which to run my 1/16 stuff; I've not much room so I'll have to get creative. You guys are giving me ideas.

My biggest concern is how best to shield or at least protect my 'village' during the winter.
Obviously not everything can be made to withstand rain and such but I'd like to leave as much of the diorama in place as I am able.

Jerry
Old 05-31-2016, 08:19 PM
Markocaster

Originally Posted by Tanque
Very cool. I'm think of finally building a small outdoor diorama in which to run my 1/16 stuff; I've not much room so I'll have to get creative. You guys are giving me ideas.

My biggest concern is how best to shield or at least protect my 'village' during the winter.
Obviously not everything can be made to withstand rain and such but I'd like to leave as much of the diorama in place as I am able.

Jerry
Hi Jerry! You should do it I think we live in the same area NORCAL , I have a little run off area built in incase it rains! Not much chance of that though
I am having a blast setting mine up. It's tiny but still fun to run around and good for photo shoots.
Cheers
Mark
Old 05-31-2016, 11:36 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

I've always run my models in my yard but I more focused on my 1/10 scale. I've run 1/16 as well but my yard has always had ample stone just large enough to cause mischief with the tracks/ sprocs. For years I've literally sifted my dirt to strain out gravel. In the past year I had two major setbacks to that process, having new cement walkways made, the contractor, before I could tell him not to, spread the dirt removed for the pathways out into my 'tank yard'. Secondly I had a new roof put on; the old one being, wait for it, 'tar and gravel' and while the guys did a pretty good job containing the removal of the gravel ( I instructed them not to mess up my yard) there still is more than before the roof work. I'd already began the sifting last year and where it counts
I've removed a large percentage of the gravel. Now after the rain we had the next and finer size is revealed to be removed.

Sifting isn't that difficult actually. I have a sheet of heat diamond pattern steel screen which I lay on the dirt. I rake the dirt on it and lift up one end of sceen.
the gravel is held, dirt passes. Either in a bucket, old sheet or sheet of plywood I dump the gravel. I put the gravel in a place where I want it.

So long story short I'm preparing the dirt( and I'll buy a yard or so of clean topsoil ) where I intend to build Monte Carducci; it will be terraced with a small winding road up to and around the Villa. I will have some paved area, possibly low voltage lighting as well as a water effect... It's forming in my mind as I write this... Plus I want a small lower section to offer some driving challenge to my 1/10 scale guys as well.

In addition to this I must teach my 2 old doggies the new trick of doing their 'business' somewhere else. Dog mines were banned by the Geneva Convention...

Jerry
Old 06-01-2016, 04:00 AM
wright 971

Hi Have to agree the best surface to run on is soil , nice and muddy if it rains(weathers the tanks) , But if you want a all weather surface that dosnt change , if you can get hold of crushed sandstone (I suppose it depends on where you live) here where I live its cheap its used a lot for drive foundation's .You lay it around 2-3 inches deep and compact it sets when it rains into a hard wearing surface(put plastic down to stop weeds coming up you can also water with weed killer) , you can run tanks on it and no problem with it jamming the tracks and no muddy foot prints when you go in the house.

regards pete
Old 06-05-2016, 09:00 PM
Markocaster

The bridge has been taken!
Old 06-08-2016, 05:14 PM
Buggman60

"the bridge has been taken!" rotflmao!!!!
Old 06-09-2016, 06:21 AM
Koenigstiger

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hallo,

here is a short video with my "Ferdinand" (an IMAI back build Elephant) at my fun area =

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiIPrNITIXs Best regards from the KT...