Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

So I have this HL Panzer IV...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

So I have this HL Panzer IV...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 02:15 PM
yoshigt2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I have this HL Panzer IV...

Bought this to compare (for myself) how a HL and Tamiya tank drive, quality, blah blah. I do really like it. I was after the Taigen one with the really nice white camo. My budget for a beater tank didn't allow it. Thus this Panzer IV Ausf. F/2.

Straight away the Smoker is kaput, removed it. The metal tracks don't seem to fit the sprockets very well, bought the ones you see in the attached images. The sound is terrible. I just noticed the turret traverse, and barrel elevation are the same sound. I've never heard an actual PzIV, so I have nothing to go on. Gearboxes are of the zinc variety and are noisier than sin.

What I'm getting at is, I'd like to possibly hear some advice for gearboxes, new sound, and where to purchase the schürzen for at least the turret. I'd make it myself if it weren't for the fact that I don't have the skill to achieve the correct look.. afterall, I only performed my first weathering on a model with my Tammy Tiger I. Some weather has been done to the PZIV. I'd also like to mount some of the junky metal tracks as a spare set on the front of it, just not sure how. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-29-2016, 02:48 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Standard ratio black steel gearboxes from IMEX - you won't break them. Ever.
Schürzen isn't so hard if you don't want to be super accurate, there used to be a PDF on here on how to make it for a Pz4, but it seems to have gotten lost - I'll see if I can dig it out for you.
Basically all you need is styrene sheet, brass strip and some decent CA glue. (And some patience, steady hands, the usual caveats... )

In the meantime, have a google for a tank photo you like, as it will help the rest of us provide advice.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-297-1722-23,_Im_Westen,_Panzer_IV.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	2159947  
Old 04-29-2016, 04:34 PM
yoshigt2

Well, I'd like to attempt to winter wash it. This being my original intentions for the Tiger I. I'd like to either attempt to repaint the tank in dunkelgelb, with maybe some kind of camouflage paint scheme. I'm not sure yet, all I do know is I do not want 6 German tanks all in Panzergrau.

I did find this image, shürzen, tracks mounted on the front, and I love the colours.

I WILL be buying more tanks eventually. Absolutely love these things.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:42 PM
yoshigt2

Deleted due to double post. Oops...

Last edited by yoshigt2; 04-29-2016 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Double posted
Old 04-30-2016, 01:00 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Lets see if this works...
[ATTACH]2160073[/IMG]
Attached Files
File Type: zip
schurzen for PzIV.zip (82.9 KB, 95 views)
Old 04-30-2016, 01:06 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

There are some mistakes in those plans - the skirt hanger should go under the radio aerial trough, not over like the plans suggest.

You also might want to make the brackets a touch longer on the tops to allow you to pin the brackets in place - this will make the whole thing a lot stronger than just gluing.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:16 AM
yoshigt2

Nice.. thanks for that!
Old 04-30-2016, 05:03 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

For the turret schurzen you could buy the Tamiya 1/16 Panzer IV C Parts, 9005912. Jason's Store carries Tamiya Parts and so does the AAF PX. Here are the links for both. It would save you some time scratch building. The Tamiya parts are pretty accurate or at least close enough.

http://jasons-store.highwire.com/pro...-ausfj-c-parts

http://shop.aaftankmuseum.com/Produc...ctCode=9005912
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	97aefd6f-2809-45da-94ff-55010528c713.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	2160081  
Old 04-30-2016, 05:53 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dominique at rctank.de can hook you up with schurzen if you don't have the time to make your own.

http://www.rctank.de/Panzer-IV-apron...of-polystyrene

http://www.rctank.de/Panzer-IV-apron...of-polystyrene
Old 04-30-2016, 06:31 AM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can make one using those directions out brass strip and sheet, it will be sturdier. But, the Tamiya and RCTank options are well done, pre-fab'd options. Dominique at RCTank is great to work with; so is the Museum staff.

If you want some prefabricated parts, look at Wozwasntere's Shapeways (http://www.shapeways.com/shops/warre...#more-products). He has some great products, especially if you're looking to match your photo. (note: your photo is for an Ausf H, not an F2)

http://www.shapeways.com/product/RDC...ionId=59199466
http://www.shapeways.com/product/RAQ...ionId=58928312
http://www.shapeways.com/product/2S5...ionId=58587324
http://www.shapeways.com/product/SRR...ionId=58266577

Axel's Modellbau carries some good detailing parts. (http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/k...1_344_306.html)

If you want, you could use my build for some how-to info. I've provided some details that probably bore the experienced modeler, but I hope would be helpful to someone who is starting like I am. (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...dak-build.html)
Old 04-30-2016, 06:43 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Martin's right on about the gearboxes. I put the new Imex ball bearing, black steel 4.1 gearboxes in my Imex PzIV and it runs great. The 4.1 won't fit in a PzIII but they just squeak into a PzIV. Smokers can be a real pain but the exhaust on the PzIV is well suited to get a great effect so if I were you I wouldn't give up on it just yet. Replacements can be had for ten bucks or less so I use a rather simple method of just buying one or two every time I place an order with Erik, and sort out the good ones and try to fix the not so good. There are also many mods for improving them, like better heating elements and adding a fan, or you can go with the TARR, which is great but doesn't have the pulsating effect that I don't want to give up.

You and I will have to agree to disagree about winter camo. I can tell you like it but I don't really care for that scheme. Diff'rent Strokes, right?

Here's one I did for a customer to get rid of the winter camo, but it might give you some ideas about what's available, like metal roadwheels and what-not. (the lower hull mentioned came from Bret, a truly great RC Tanker).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAYByTLyXJ4
Old 04-30-2016, 08:59 AM
yoshigt2

Awesome! The kinks are greatly appreciated. I'd like to attempt to make it myself first, might be fun to attempt it.

I did notice how cheap the Smoker kits are, might just buy 2 for the hell of it.

As far as the gearbox, I'd like to purchase one thinking that the Zinc one will eventually kick the bucket. The right gearbox is already noisy as sin. I believe it needs the mid -low type gearbox, correct me if I'm wrong.

Metal road wheels and returns is definitely in its future, not a fan of the plastic ones. They work just fine on the Tammy Tiger I, not so much on the Panzer IV. I'm ok with the plastic chassis for now.

I'm still up in the air for camouflage, I've seen a few more that peaked my interest. Need to get an airbrush first. Rattle canning has got to stop, the Tiger burned me out of that..
Old 04-30-2016, 11:24 AM
Crius

You might want to take a look at this thread

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...uad-video.html
Old 04-30-2016, 10:06 PM
yoshigt2

Maus45,
Thanks for the links to the Tamiya parts, it's funny to me actually, my Brother-in-law and I where just discussing a trip down to the AAF. I'll probably go that route and use the Tammy parts. I know they are a good quality.

PhilIipat,
PZIV looks great, the detail is beyond my modelling skills though. Maybe one tank, one day I'll go for the historically correct tank.

Cries,

Love the final look you have on thathe one. Very nice. What is TARR? I'd like to make drive as entice as the one in the link you posted. At the moment it still seems chunky when it moves.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:47 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Ex_Pat_Tanker
Lets see if this works...
[ATTACH]2160073[/IMG]
REALLY Apreciate this, Sir.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:01 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Ex_Pat_Tanker
There are some mistakes in those plans - the skirt hanger should go under the radio aerial trough, not over like the plans suggest.

You also might want to make the brackets a touch longer on the tops to allow you to pin the brackets in place - this will make the whole thing a lot stronger than just gluing.
Could you take some more photos of your tank? It looks awesome so far.

Edit: How thick is the brass you are using?

Last edited by Rad_Schuhart; 05-01-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:54 AM
Crius

TARR is the fairly new smoke unit coming out of Poland. They're reasonable priced, about twenty bucks US, and very good quality. The only reason I don't use them is because i really like the pulsating effect you get from a piston driven unit and you just can't duplicate that with a fan. Otherwise I'd be using them. I've also considered using the TARR as a main smoke source and routing it through a stock smoker for the pulsation, and maybe using it to also get some kind of smoking gun effect. I have lots of crazy ideas like that.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:53 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Hi, The "TARR" Smoker is a RELIABLE source of exhaust smoke I bought mine from --
www.rctankelectronics.com
There are two types -- Tarr MK1 and 2 which when used with an IBU2 control board are fully proportional and are 55mm x 40mm x 50mm and the difference between the 1 and 2 is one is a plastic case and the other is metal,
AND the other type is Tarr MK 3 pro and MK 4 pro these are fully proportional when plugged into the HENG LONG, TAIGEN, TORRO, and TAMIYA control boards, these are sized 55mm x 55mm x 50mm and again the difference between them is one is metal and one is plastic they are priced in the UK at £14 to £20,
I don't know of a US supplier but there surely must be one and if not IAN at RC ELECTRONICS does sell overseas.
Shaun.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:07 PM
yoshigt2

I'm on board with the pulsation. Got a real kick out of that for the 5 minutes it worked... lol.

I'll just go for a pair of those. At 10 bucks a peice, it's worth it.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:05 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to get too far off subject but does anyone know what gun was on the M7 priest? Was it a 105 or a 75 mm howitzer? I always liked the looks of the Priest and i also like to have artillery pieces on my fields so a mobile artillery piece would be the icing on the cake.
i also thought i saw somewhere some on had the small paK 75 mm american howitzer and i thought it was shape ways but i dont see it on the site.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:08 PM
yoshigt2

105. Looks like it's based on a sherman?
Old 05-01-2016, 05:03 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yoshigt2
105. Looks like it's based on a sherman?
Yes the chassis is definately Sherman i just needed to know what size gun was on it. i want to build one as my next Sherman project. the upper hull will be easy just need to find the proper gun and mount for the project.
Jeff? i know you would know which gun and mount to use, also i think it was an M4cast hull variant I believe ut Im not sure. i still have my original Mato cast upper to use as a base if that is correct but i can always get an HL or Tamiya upper to modify if it is the welded upper hull they used.

Last edited by Panther G; 05-01-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:07 PM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by Crius
TARR is the fairly new smoke unit coming out of Poland. They're reasonable priced, about twenty bucks US, and very good quality. The only reason I don't use them is because i really like the pulsating effect you get from a piston driven unit and you just can't duplicate that with a fan. Otherwise I'd be using them. I've also considered using the TARR as a main smoke source and routing it through a stock smoker for the pulsation, and maybe using it to also get some kind of smoking gun effect. I have lots of crazy ideas like that.
Gary, you need to get a couple of those smokers rolling in a couple of your buildings. Just do a simple chimney out the top. I have a Pola building with smoke unit and flashing red/orange led's to simulate a burnt out building. Really cool to drive around a building that's smoldering. Just some smoke out a chimney will make you grin too as you drive by it. Tanks don't have to be the only thing animated on a battlefield!!
http://www.gscaleonline.co.uk/WebRoo...9/PO331010.jpg

Last edited by TheBennyB; 05-01-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:12 PM
TheBennyB

Hey yoshigt2, Your around the NEAD guys, try contacting them yet? Even if your not into IR battling they are a great bunch of guys to trade ideas with and just in general shoot the breeze.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...groupNEAD/info
Old 05-01-2016, 05:52 PM
yoshigt2

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Hey yoshigt2, Your around the NEAD guys, try contacting them yet? Even if your not into IR battling they are a great bunch of guys to trade ideas with and just in general shoot the breeze.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...groupNEAD/info
Hmm... didn't even think about NEAD, thanks for the suggestion. Definately going to look into them. I'd like to attempt an IR battle once I get used to it, I'd like to think my Tamiya Tiger could be good at it.

Just to add a second off-topic question, I recently purchased my brother-in-law a new HL M1a2 Abrams (metal tracks, sprockets, idlers, and gearboxes). The sound is terrible. I'd like to price out a better sound board without having to change all of the electronics. Same for my Panzer IV. IF, possible that is.

Last edited by yoshigt2; 05-01-2016 at 05:58 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.