Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Heng Long Sherman Turret Turns Only One Direction

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Heng Long Sherman Turret Turns Only One Direction

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 05:45 PM
domer99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heng Long Sherman Turret Turns Only One Direction

Just purchased a Heng Long Sherman 2.4ghz version. Having great fun indoors (hardwood floors) and then took it out to the driveway. At some point during the outing the turret lost the ability to rotate right. The controller sound effect can be heard, but the turret will not rotate right. I popped the top and looked for any loose wires, connections etc, but no dice. I also reseated all the connectors just to be sure they were good. I then disconnected the turret motor assembly and attempted to run making sure there was nothing binding the turret, but no joy, the motor still only turned in one direction. Unfortunately I do not have another Heng Long to bind the radio to so I can rule out a bad transmitter. Could I have a fried RX-18? Not sure it's worth mentioning but my wife was taking the tank around (I was in complete shock, lol), and she threw a track at the bottom of the driveway. She continued to try and move the tank before I was aware of the track issue and reset the track. Could this have overloaded the board? Thank you for any help you can provide!
Old 05-08-2016, 12:50 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

The track issue probably did not effect the board. Especially not the rotation motor.
pull the plugs off the rx18 and take some alligator clip jumper leads and hook right to the rotation motor to see if it turns. Then reverse the polarity and see if it turns the other way.
i bet the putput of the rx18 went bad. i have had it happen to three of mine. One turret output and two track output on side. I decided using the rx18 isnt worth the spontainious death they experience.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:14 PM
domer99

Thanks Rich, will give that a try and report back my findings! Bummer if it is. Although I understand the toy-grade nature of the stock Heng Long, I like the fact that the 2.4G Heng Longs have controls for volume, smoke, etc right on the controller. The dual speed turret was neat as well.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:42 PM
domer99

Ok, hooked the turret up under independent DC power source and then test running verse polarity. Turret rotates as you would expect. Look to be the RX-18. Any chance anyone knows how to troubleshoot/repair the RX-18?
Old 05-09-2016, 11:53 AM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Or it could be like my motor, the wire was just barely hanging on. In some positions the motor would turn, move it slightly and it wouldn't. Part of the wire insulation was melted to the motor holding the wire there. I re-soldered the connection and it was all good.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:24 PM
domer99

The motor seems to run strong in either direction when I bypass the wiring, so seems to be the board in this case. I have another on the way. I'll follow up once I've received and installed.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:56 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Good work troubleshooting. Sorry to loosean rx18 . That sucks.