Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

More of Paco's tank pictures…

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

More of Paco's tank pictures…

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 08:58 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Ross
If the elk cause too much damage to your roads you could put a stop to that with a few well placed road mines. That would also get you fresh meat for the freezer. I'm not talking about the mines dogs leave around in the yard ----- those mines are no good for elk control unless you want to pick them up with rubber gloves and throw them at the elk to scare them away.
rex
This made me laugh quite hard.... I have an infinite source of landmines from my dog, you let me know if you need some haha.
Also, great idea on the blacktop, I'm gonna have to steal that idea
Old 06-25-2016, 06:20 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Hey Paco, since we were talking about road surfaces here i thought it would be a good place to show you this stuff. Very cheap, at less than $17 for a 36"x144' roll at the big box store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bl0PlkHpCQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJwO9wyMMw8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9C6igtE5xg
Old 06-25-2016, 08:49 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary, let us know how the tar paper holds up over the summer. Paco's window's look great in your "Tankland!" As always thanks for the informative and thought out vid.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:59 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

What you found is 15lb roofing felt. The lines are for the roofer to follow with his overlap to shed water. You can count on those lines being straight and parallel. That stuff goes under shingles. I have put down miles of 15lb felt.
It will dry out over time in the sun, and the edges will curl up. It will be more brittle then, and tear more easily. It is however, an excellent weed barrier, and a good analog of scale pavement. It gets soft when hot in the sun, and brittle when cold.
I would strongly recommend NOT using it indoors because it will get tar on stuff it rubs on. Someplace like Danville could use it indoors with the dirt base they have, but any community center that let a tank club battle indoors would be upset at the tar mess the felt left on the floors.
For outside battles, it could work well as streets in a village or roads across country side, but it will get tar on your hands working with it to lay it down, so I recommend wearing gloves.
Disposal of the material could be a problem after you use it, so think about that too.
That said, I’m experimenting with the idea. My plan is to lay out some roads, then paint the felt with roofing tar, then pour sand onto the fresh tar, then press the sand in and later sweep off the excess lose sand. I hope to have a good durable surface as a result and plan to leave it out all winter to see how it weathers.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:28 AM
Crius

I like your plan with the sand over felt. That may work well for a more permanent roadway. Right now I'm thinking about keeping things clean. With my park being in the woods falling leaves are always a nuisance, but are easily taken care of with a quick pass with the rake. I think the felt will be OK with a small push-broom (have just the tool) so we should be OK.

Thanks for all the info. You're the second guy that pointed out my wording wasn't the best on that. I tried to oversimplify things. Once everything is properly in place, according to the preprinted lines, then you know where to put the nails. The hippie brain doesn't think about things like water and alignment, just "is it ready? Is this where I put the nail?"

I plan to leave it all in place for the rest of the summer to see what happens, but i may remove some because i like the dirt roads better outside of the populated area. But, the road through town should make a good test.

The windows are doing pretty well, a few episodes of curling edges, but I have some ideas on that.

I didn't start out with any goal in mind with this, but I'm now thinking that the ultimate goal will be to make all this stuff so it can stay in place all year round. Or at least some of the more difficult to move things, and anything that helps the roads is always good. just ask the Romans.

It's still early in the morning for me and it's still a little foggy.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:58 AM
Pah co chu puk

In my village, it's pine cones that fall all over the roads. The pine needles do too, but they are less of an issue. Sap can be a pain in the tracks.

I am so busy with work right now, tank stuff is mostly on hold. My Abrams is in parts on a table, pending time to reassemble it now that I have the new servo, and Tankland is a ghost town, populated by rabbits and coyotes with sadly, no army occupying it. I hope to do as Patton would say, a "Reconnaissance in force to probe enemy defenses." soon.

and don't ever worry about moving slow with me, I live on Mountain Time, it's an attitude, not a time zone for setting your watch.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:43 PM
Pah co chu puk

Sunrise on the fourth of July, revealed that the village had been re-taken by the Americans.

I built a .50 cal mount for the Jeep cause I watched too much Rat Patrol as a kid.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4950.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	2.65 MB
ID:	2171398   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4962.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	2171399   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4969.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	2171400   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4967.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	2171401  
Old 07-05-2016, 02:47 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

That last one would work really well as a grainy black and white "period" picture
Old 07-05-2016, 03:48 PM
Pah co chu puk

Thanks. Like this?

Name:	IMG_4967a.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	962.7 KB
ID:	2171417  
Old 07-05-2016, 04:58 PM
Tanker 10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rat Patrol, you're showing your age.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:50 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tanker 10
Rat Patrol, you're showing your age.
~~~~~~

Hey!!!! --- The Rat Patrol ain't just for kids! I was a nut case for that series and I got the second series on DVD a few years ago. Thanks to your comments, I found out Amazon has the first series available on DVDs. I'm gonna order it today. Someday I might get around to building an SAS jeep with these Verlinden kits.

rex

Name:	IMG_4247.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	2171520   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4248.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	2171521   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4249.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	2171522  
Old 07-06-2016, 06:09 AM
Tanker 10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that, I'll check it out.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:16 AM
Crius

Can't wait to see you build that jeep, Rex. This one is 1/18

What the hell is shockwave and what does it mean that it crashed? No, I won't click on reload. Sounds like a trick

Old 07-06-2016, 08:46 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Originally Posted by Pah co chu puk
Thanks. Like this?

Darken it a bit, then maybe increase the contrast a little? Looks a bit washed out at the moment.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:41 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe a photo when it is overcast, cloudy, rainy would be just right --- no sunlight. I have seen some photos on this forum that were incredibly like real wartime photos. I remember a few by Fynsdad --- maybe he, or some others, will see this and offer their ideas. Goodness knows I could use a lot of help with my lack of photographic skills.
rex
Old 07-06-2016, 02:22 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Its an art form to get it right, but the most important bit (I think at least) is to get the picture taken at 'eye level' - if you are looking down on the subject from a distance its so much more difficult for it to look convincing, but close up and low down the camera 'tells lies' for you
Old 07-06-2016, 03:03 PM
Pah co chu puk

I agree with you. Scale "eye level" shots look much closer to real. I like to shoot pictures thinking of how a scale dude would photograph the tanks.

That picture was washed out. I was going for a strong glare affect from the sunrise.