Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Hello.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 12:06 PM
jackalope43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello.

Hello everyone I'm new here but certainly not to modeling or R/C vehicles. I've been building model kits since I was about 7 years old and playing with R/C vehicles for about as long. Cars, trucks, boats, planes, helicopters, and now tanks and custom building R/C vehicles. I'm a member and moderator of a UK R/C tank forum and one of my very good friends who is a member of both suggested I join here as well so here I am. I'm 43, work for the railroad as a conductor and remote control locomotive operator so I guess I play with up to 4000 horse power R/C toys as well! LOL! I've built many a car from the ground up, had 5 of my cars published in magazines such as Hot Rod and Car Craft along with helping to build several more that were also published. My model kits have appeared in Scale Modeler MANY MANY years ago but I had to stop messing with models as I was getting too crazy in building them.
Started playing with R/C cars and trucks, went quickly from battery to nitro cars and trucks, speed boats, tried my hand with a P-51 and ME-109 but trees don't like me. Got a couple helicopters but they're limited run time wasn't for me. Then a couple years ago I saw an R/C Tiger tank and I bought it, then modded it, then bought a King Tiger, another Tiger, and now a nice Jagdtiger. Also in the midst of these and detailing them I'm R/Cing a 251 Hanomog halftrack toy into a full on R/C truck and so far so good. I'll post pics of my collection in a bit, maybe this weekend.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:45 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Glad to see you here, Bud. You're an asset to any forum you join.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:24 PM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

My heavens Jack it is good to see you here,
Long overdue. I am looking forward to your input,.
Jack you have been in the company of too many Brits and Australians recently and I don't want your countrymen to think you have gone native.
Just keep reminding yourself that Maryland is a part of the Union!!
Shaun.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:52 AM
jackalope43

Thanks guys.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:05 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Welcome aboard!

We like pictures, please post pictures of your projects, finished or not.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:26 PM
Crius

Paco, you and Jack are gonna get along great. He wants to build a tank park as soon as he moves to the new house, and I know he'll love tankland. In fact, it was Mrs. Jackalope that coined the phrase "Tank Park".

Jack, check out Pah co chu puk's (Paco!) tank park at this thread. Paco's the guy that made those broken window stickers I sent you, so when you want more you now have a direct connect. Just PM him when you're ready.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...-pictures.html
Old 05-27-2016, 08:30 PM
Big N00b

Hey Jack - also say good to see you here, enjoy your commentaries over on the Tankbear's hide-out.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:16 AM
jackalope43

Thanks guys. So you guys like pictures huh? Well ok then I'll start off with my favorite tank I built, my King Tiger.

This is the 2nd version of it while at the local park where its logged over 300 scale miles running around, people on the tank forum tease me that my King Tiger has more miles on it then the real ones ever did! LOL!

Ok time for some build details. It stated life as a metal version Taigen tank from IMEX but soon after purchased a Torro lower hull, replaced the stock gearboxes with IMEX full bearing 4.1 steel gearboxes with JP480 high torque motors. Electronics are IBU2 with amp card in a custom made case to keep water away. Sound is from 4 Mato speakers, 2 in the turret and 2 under the rear of the engine deck. 5800mah lipo battery, modded TARR MKII smoker, I changed the turret from the Porsche to Henchel and up graded the upper hull to having all opening metal Torro hatches. The zim coating is from Atek, the cables are from Aber as are the gun cleaning rods. It bow machine gun is from rctanks.de as is the stencil kit used for the painting, there are no stickers or decals on this tank its all paint. Aber engine deck armor kit is also used. This tank weighs in at just over 22lbs and will go any where! While I have added detailing bits some store bought and some made by me this tank, along with all of my others, are built to run outside, live through any type terrain and keep going. IMHO this is how these tanks should be built, just like the real things!

Now you might notice sitting next to my King Tiger is a brand new IMEX Jagdtiger, a VERY nice tank straight out of the box buuuuuut they can always be better IMHO. So with this mindset the first I HAD to do was make the gun travel lock fully functional as lets face it this tank is nothing but the gun so it should be detailed properly. A quick parcel from my German friend Mr.Ludwig and a functional gun travel lock kit was installed. The electronics were replaced in favor of the new IBU3 set up and the motors were replaced with JP480 high torque motors. Another modded TARR smoker resides inside and smokes up the neighborhood with wonderful smelling vanilla megasteam. Sound comes from a pair of Mato speakers though I'm trying to build a speaker box so use larger speakers. Power on this beast comes from a 7800mah lipo. Rear mudflaps are metal ones from rctanks.de and hinged so they move rather then just fall off as the stock ones do, I used the same set up on my King Tiger.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150714_1510411_zpstlymirgx.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	2164731   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160319_1656091_zpsmrgtkiv8.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	2164734   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160410_1616501_zps0o5kp0tq.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	400.3 KB
ID:	2164736  
Old 05-28-2016, 12:34 PM
Crius

This is the first time I've seen the installed travel lock you got for the JT and it looks really, really good.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:49 PM
Markocaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to see you here
Old 05-28-2016, 07:29 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I like the picture of the KT. Thanks.

I think you play with tanks, the way I play with tanks.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:57 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Welcome to the site!!!
Old 05-29-2016, 09:33 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always nice to see members or other forums join new forums. Welcome!! Looking forward to your experience and ideas. Nice looking tanks for sure, and I like that you don't mind getting them "naturally weathered."
Old 05-30-2016, 01:41 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Those Tigers are gorgeous you've done a very good job. I notice you like to build tanks the way I do.. gut em and load in the steel, very nice.

Couple questions... can you post a link to where you got your motors, or their specs? I'm really picky about motors and won't buy anything that has lacking information :P

Do you need anything extra running 4 speakers?? I'm not sure a Clark board can handle the extra draw, assuming you're wiring in parallel.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:44 AM
jackalope43

Strato, sure thing. I get the JP480 motors from http://www.rctankelectronics.com/ but I don't see them listed, send the owner Ian a message I'm sure he can get you whatever information you may need. All I know is they fit inside the tank although just barely and they really make a lot of torque! Especially with 15 amps of power being sent to them.

As for the speakers the reason it runs 4 are I use these Mato speakers http://www.matomart.com/prodview.php?p=2926 and uses the IBU2 electronics found at the first link I gave you and the amp board. The IBU2 amp board splits the engine and track sounds from the main cannon and machine gun sound. The the engine sounds get a set of speakers as do the main cannon, so 4 speakers. 2 attached under the rear engine deck with 3M double sided tape firing upward thru the radiator grills. 2 located up inside the turret 1 under the commander and 1 under the gunners hatch. Their are many small holes or if I want I can open the gunners hatch and the 1 speaker is right there so plenty of gun sound come through.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:23 AM
Tanker 10

Welcome Jack, I'm Jtracks across the pond, good to see you here.

Joe