Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

A sneak peak at the new Taigen Leopard 2A6 lower hull :)

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

A sneak peak at the new Taigen Leopard 2A6 lower hull :)

Old 06-02-2016, 07:17 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Default A sneak peak at the new Taigen Leopard 2A6 lower hull :)

Hey tankers!
So today we have a special surprise to show off... the lower hull from Taigen for the Heng Long Leo2 tank! This chassis will be taking some features from the Sherman chassis in the fact it will be a solid stamped hull and very durable. The rear plate will be removable and also now has the switches behind spring loaded hatches ON THE REAR OF THE TANK. It will also feature a new style torsion bar suspension system, have folding rear mud flaps with replaceable rubber fenders, easy open latch, gearbox axle support bearings, lots of details, and more! Below are a few pictures (not final!) to enjoy:

These are not the final pictures as this was a rough first sample. I will have production quality samples in the next 2-3 weeks or so and will install them and have a go with it. The Leo chassis has been a long time running but will be a very welcome addition to the Taigen family. The Abrams will be next and possibly the Challenger if the demand is there. We already have metal drive wheels, idlers, road wheels, suspension arms, and tracks for the Leo2, and with this you will be set! I'll have prices and more details soon, for now please enjoy and let me know if you have any questions!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4280.JPG
Views:	3478
Size:	4.24 MB
ID:	2165492   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4282.JPG
Views:	2487
Size:	4.47 MB
ID:	2165493   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4291.JPG
Views:	3378
Size:	4.54 MB
ID:	2165494   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4300.JPG
Views:	3735
Size:	4.80 MB
ID:	2165495   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4302.JPG
Views:	2419
Size:	4.93 MB
ID:	2165496   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4311.JPG
Views:	2565
Size:	4.67 MB
ID:	2165497   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4318.JPG
Views:	2846
Size:	3.89 MB
ID:	2165498   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4329.JPG
Views:	2300
Size:	2.56 MB
ID:	2165499  

Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4327.JPG
Views:	3523
Size:	4.63 MB
ID:	2165500  
Old 06-02-2016, 10:15 AM
ChuckATruck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now i have a reason to start upgrading my heng long leo. I was afraid to drop money in it and the abrams for the lack of a chassis that could support it.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:42 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by ChuckATruck
Now i have a reason to start upgrading my heng long leo. I was afraid to drop money in it and the abrams for the lack of a chassis that could support it.
Oh yea, this thing will be quite the tank if you know what I mean The new lower hull process is a much more durable design than our previous hulls and we are starting to put a lot more feedback into the design such as switches on the back, thicker hulls, and more durable suspension. The torsion bars are much thicker on this one than previous tanks and are bolted directly to the chassis with countersunk screws from the bottom with nyloc nuts. The mudflaps I like a lot too now as you can finally go over rough terrain without the fear of breaking your flaps. The Abrams will be next for sure after this one so get ready!
Old 06-02-2016, 12:11 PM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Any gearbox surprises? How much heavier are we talking?
Old 06-02-2016, 12:11 PM
trackmech81

That looks amazing. Cannot wait to see the Abrams version.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:19 PM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by edoubleaz
Any gearbox surprises? How much heavier are we talking?
I'll get exact weights and dimensions for everyone in around 2-3 weeks when my sample arrives and I can install everything and play. I would guess around 8lbs by itself. The Sherman is around 3lbs with just the chassis and with the Leopard being both longer and wider I would think around 8lbs should be right. Of course exact weights I'll get later with and without items installed. Just make me a list
No gearbox surprises for this one yet, I've yet to really see the need to move to different motors. PLUS, Banebots is making motors again!

Originally Posted by trackmech81
Yes the Abrams will be after we complete this one but so far it is a go. My neighbor is a retired Abrams driver so he is there if we have any questions (I've already had a few!) he will be helping. You guys wanted strength and durability.... well now you are getting it! Taigen will also be making Abrams metal parts too, so be aware of that one too. The Leopard parts are already here and out so if you need anything we have it. Our Leopard tracks are quite nice and smooth too.

Last edited by Imex-Erik; 06-02-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:09 AM
BludoTheSmelly

Very nice
Old 06-03-2016, 09:56 AM
tankme

Received 205 Likes on 167 Posts

And now you tell me this after I spent so much time modding my Abrams hull... Guess I'll put that project on hold. I was about to buy an overly expensive hull until I saw this thread.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:42 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by tankme
And now you tell me this after I spent so much time modding my Abrams hull... Guess I'll put that project on hold. I was about to buy an overly expensive hull until I saw this thread.
Hey I told you guys we were working on the Abrams
Right now the Leo2 is more popular than the Abrams, hence the priority to it. The Abrams however is more popular than the Challenger so it will be first out of those two. If the demand is there for Challenger parts then we will explore that option. I will say you can expect nothing but great quality stuff like this from us from now on. Future tanks will be beefy as this guy and our Sherman so be prepared Keep giving input and I'll keep using it guys!
Old 06-03-2016, 08:49 PM
yoshigt2

What are the chances the prospective Leopard buyer will have at a full Tiagan Leo2?
Old 06-06-2016, 05:49 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by yoshigt2
What are the chances the prospective Leopard buyer will have at a full Tiagan Leo2?
Taigen will not be producing a Leopard, we will just be offering upgraded parts for the Heng Long Leopard 2A6 tank.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:51 AM
BludoTheSmelly

What about a chaffee or hellcat?

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Taigen will not be producing a Leopard, we will just be offering upgraded parts for the Heng Long Leopard 2A6 tank.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:58 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by BludoTheSmelly
What about a chaffee or hellcat?
More tanks are in the works I can say that much. However for new tanks I cant say anything yet. I have a few I would like to see updated though, that's for sure...
Old 06-06-2016, 09:10 AM
BludoTheSmelly

Sounds good
Old 06-07-2016, 01:17 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trackmech81
Same here. That one i believe would interest me as I intend to flog my Abrams and run it like I stole it.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:12 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like this, keep up the good work Erik and Taigen.

It'd be nice to see a complete package with this hull in time, to encourage those of us who haven't taken the modern tank bait yet.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:57 AM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a few I would like to see updated though, that's for sure...
Pershing? Please...correct the suspension, make an adjustable idler, correct the gun tube...even if it's just the lower hull that gets corrected, modelers can do the rest.

Bulldog could be updated, but would require a complete retool and redoing everything to get the dimensions and scale correct. So...go with the Pershing.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:39 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by philipat
Pershing? Please...correct the suspension, make an adjustable idler, correct the gun tube...even if it's just the lower hull that gets corrected, modelers can do the rest.

Bulldog could be updated, but would require a complete retool and redoing everything to get the dimensions and scale correct. So...go with the Pershing.
If I had to pick between the two I would definitely go with the M41. It is a lot more popular than the Pershing too.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:37 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I had to pick between the two I would definitely go with the M41. It is a lot more popular than the Pershing too.
Can't go wrong with either one...but, I figured the Pershing would be more popular. Goes to show ya...
Old 06-16-2016, 10:53 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I know when I first got into the hobby I thought the HL Pershing looked a bit 'toy like', where as the Bulldog's detail looked far crisper and just seemed to have a better 'fit and finish'.

That said, even the Tamiya Pershing looks a little underwhelming to me somehow - must be something to do with the shape, I guess?
Old 06-16-2016, 12:16 PM
Crisaman

Any idea what will be the price?
Old 06-17-2016, 09:24 AM
Imex-Erik

Originally Posted by Ex_Pat_Tanker
I know when I first got into the hobby I thought the HL Pershing looked a bit 'toy like', where as the Bulldog's detail looked far crisper and just seemed to have a better 'fit and finish'.

That said, even the Tamiya Pershing looks a little underwhelming to me somehow - must be something to do with the shape, I guess?
Agreed, I think it is the sharp angles of the M41 that are so appealing.
Originally Posted by Crisaman
Any idea what will be the price?
My sample is taking a bit longer to get here than planned, had a small hiccup before it shipped (they wanted to include something else for me to test!) but it is on the way. I should have it all fixed up by next week. I'll announce prices when it gets here when I make a video to go over it all. I'm interested to see how much weight this guy holds.... I found out I can stand on our Sherman lower chassis and I'm around 180lbs I'll keep everyone updated, I am ITCHING to get it in too.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:36 PM
Imex-Erik

Ok so the video now is uploading and should HOPEFULLY be live before I leave work. I broke down the tank and took off the suspension arms and torsion bars to show how it works as well as show off most of the components as well. I will give away a few things before it finishes though:
-High/Low motor gearboxes, 4:1 ratio, 390 motors, and custom shafts (I'll explain later, gearboxes will be available for these in the ball bearing type of course)
-Water Resistant lower chassis with O-Rings on the suspension arms to help with liquids
-Ball Bearing supports for output shaft from gearbox for extra smooth operation and less stress on gearbox shafts
-2.5mm minimum thickness, 3mm+ on front and bottom
-2 Piece design with removable back plate
-Super thick torsion bars (about 2x than previous)
-Dual ball bearings on each road wheel and idler wheel
-Adjustable tension arms (Same style as HL, but metal and bolted on)
-Switches on the rear of the tank
-Easy Open latch for upper hull
-Adapter to accommodate the HL upper hull

Prices:
$199.99 - chassis, rear plate, electronics plate, torsion bars, and metal suspension arms
$349.99 - chassis, rear plate, electronics plate, torsion bars, metal suspension arms, steel ball bearing gearboxes, metal drive wheels, metal idler wheels with bearings, metal road wheels with rubber tires and bearings, and metal closed pin tracks

Video:
https://youtu.be/cyREocW_PEU
Old 06-22-2016, 01:37 PM
Imex-Erik

The video says it will be uploaded soon (less than 5m) but it will need a few min to process after that. The video should be in 1080p@60fps, so if it is lower quality give it a few more min before watching.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:40 PM
Merganser

Default sign me up

Wow! Sign me up for the complete kit. Do I need to call now with a credit card number? Can we hope to have one of these before Christmas? I will also be in line for the M1A2 Abrams. Now if you could just come up with some trucks. There must be millions of Vets who drove 1 ton and 2 & 1/2 ton trucks in the service. Thousands of these trucks were converted to wild land fire trucks and also put to use with the Forest Service after the war. The Dodge line of trucks were used by every major army and yes the Germans loved their captured Dodges and jeeps. The kids in the group have only to look at the opening credits for "Mash" to see a Dodge truck in action. The basic frame and running gear used for a deuce & 1/2 and Dodge Power wagon style trucks could be used on lots of different trucks, but they do need to be 1/16 scale.

Last edited by Merganser; 06-22-2016 at 10:50 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.